What if we get sick at Disney?

It probably also depends on the doctor/insurance. Our doctor will provide nothing without an appointment and exam on the person who the medicine is prescribed for. Honestly, I would think that is best practice. There are things other than the flu going around. What if OPs child has an ear infection, sinusitis, bronchitis, step and they think it is the flu so they take the Tamiflu that was prescribed?
Guess it helps to have family in medicine. No you just do not start Tamiflu. Go to urgent care and if you are DXed with Flu then you can start immediately. Tamiflu works the best when you start within 72 hrs of onset. This is the reason why we keep it on hand is because in the past it has run short of supply.

Guess it helps to have family in medicine. No you just do not start Tamiflu. Go to urgent care and if you are DXed with Flu then you can start immediately. Tamiflu works the best when you start within 72 hrs of onset. This is the reason why we keep it on hand is because in the past it has run short of supply.

It's definitely in short supply in places around the country, as are the rapid flu tests. So I can see parts of the country prioritizing their tamiflu stock to vulnerable populations (young children, the elderly, etc)

It's definitely in short supply in places around the country, as are the rapid flu tests. So I can see parts of the country prioritizing their tamiflu stock to vulnerable populations (young children, the elderly, etc)
Many drug reps carry it on them in sample form (single pills). Your internist/PCP may have a supply on them.

Yes, that is what they told us at children's express, which is an urgent care for kids. There is a shortage (at least in the Pittsburgh area) of the tests and Tamiflu. Obviously there is no reason to test if they aren't going to treat. Here, at lest for now, they don't test or treat you if you are between 3-65 and have no other medical conditions such as asthma. They just tell you probably the flu. Maybe other regions of the country are different. I don't expect this will last forever; probably just until there is no longer a shortage. A few years ago, DH got the flu and got Tamiflu.

It is frustrating to have a young child suffering from the flu and know there is a drug that may help that you can't get due to a shortage. Thankfully, she is starting to feel better now.

Last edited:
This isn't necessarily flu specific, but in our many trips we have needed drug store access more than once! Turner Drugs delivers to the Disney resorts (turnerdrug.com) and can make things just so much easier. Hopefully you never need to use them, but if you do, their service has been great.

A number of years ago I came down with a respiratory infection during a Disney Trip. Quickly got sick enough that we left the park around 3 and went to urgent care. Diagnosed with pneumonia. Had everything we needed by 7:30. I felt well enough for a late start the next morning and except for having to go a bit slower did fine for the rest of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter