What I'm Focussed On - Smart Phonography vs Big Camera Photography

PrincessInOz

Thanks for my avatar, Mary Jo!
The purpose of this Thread/Assignment is to share your learnings about Smart Camera phonography and Big Camera photography.

All cameras and skill levels are welcome.

This one is a little different to the standard ‘post your image’. Where possible, if you have taken a similar image with your smart phone and big camera, post about what your thoughts were when you compared them at home; as well as a brief description of anything that might help others learn from your experience.

Last edited:
This thread was born from conversations where several of us were talking about how it is so much easier to snap and share using the smart phone.

It got me thinking because I recently had the opportunity to take a trip to the UK for a vacay.
Naturally I carried my big camera. BUT..... it had been at least 4 years and two smart phones since my last vacay. And what a light difference it has been in the world of smart phonography!

There were instances where I deliberately took a similar image with my smart phone camera and also with the big camera. I have to admit that after about 4 days, I was at the point of ditching the big camera and just going with the smart phone.

Still, I persevered with the big camera and it wasn’t until I got home and completed a basic post processing that I remembered why I still shoot with heavy gear.

I learnt that there are instances where the smart phone camera is as good as the big camera. And there are instances where it is the other way round.

So, I am going to make a concerted effort to take my bag camera out more often this year (it’s pretty much been sitting in the bag during the last 3 years because of Covid) and do more side by side shooting.

One London Bridge, January 2023

Smart Phone, using the in-camera filters and editing tools.

IMG_7116(Edited)(1).jpg

Big Camera, using LightRoom editing tools.

2023 UK-8785a.jpg

Under daytime lighting conditions, it was so much easier with the phone camera. I came home to find that I preferred the resolution and details of the big camera but if I were sharing for social media purposes, the smart phone image came up trumps for convenience.

princess::upsidedow

St Dunstan in the East Garden, London

Smart Phone

IMG_7146(Edited)(1).jpg

Big Camera

2023 UK-9000.jpg

I believe spot metering and post processing clean up resulted in a clearer view of the Shard for the big camera image.
For me, I prefer the big camera image. This was one of those images that reminded me why I still carry the big camera around.

princess::upsidedow

PIKES PEAK area

Big camera

1%20-%20DSC08384-7ed-XL.jpg

Smartphone

1d%20-%20PXL_20230319_010459285ed-XL.jpg

After taking these I realized that my smartphone isn't really up to taking distance shots.

I have found it excellent though for many of my Disney World photos especially at night and during dark rides.

When it warms up outside and the flowers come I will get out and take more comparison shots.

Last edited:
PIKES PEAK area

Sony a6000 - processed in LR

1%20-%20DSC08384-7ed-XL.jpg

Smartphone - Google Pixel 7a processed in PSE

1d%20-%20PXL_20230319_010459285ed-XL.jpg

After taking these I realized that my smartphone isn't really up to taking distance shots.

I have found it excellent though for many of my Disney World photos especially at night and during dark rides.

When it warms up outside and the flowers come I will get out and take more comparison shots.

Yeah. I have also reached the same conclusion. Digital zoom isn't really up to the quality of optical zoom. :(

Millennial Bridge, London

Smart Camera

IMG_7214(Edited)(1).jpg

Big Camera

2023 UK-9109-2.jpg

At the time that I took these images, I found it hard to fault the smart phone image.
Compared to the little screen at the back of the camera, the smart phone image looked better .... and it also provided more 'width' of the subject area.
I did share the smart phone image in chats and I loved it the more I shared it.

On returning home and downloading the big camera, this was one of the first images that made me remember why we lug the extra kilos around.
With post processing, there is much more detail and dynamic range (in the black and white) contrast that is possible with the big camera image than in the smart phone.

But. If all you are going to do is share on chats and socials, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the smart phone image.

Outside forecourt of "We The Curious", Bristol

Smart Phone

IMG_7293(Edited).jpg

Big Camera

2023 UK-9194.jpg

In the daytime, I actually found very little difference between the smart phone and the big camera.
For the sheer convenience and weight, I found that I was starting to take more and more images during the day with the smart phone and leaving the big camera in the bag.

I finally found a couple photos of the same place at Disney but with slightly different lighting and positioning.

Smartphone (2022) Google Pixel 7

PXL_20221129_234259884-823ed-XL.jpg

Big Camera (2019) Sony a6000

_DSC2285-2ed-XL.jpg

For impatient me at Disney I have found my smartphone wonderful at capturing shots quickly and especially in poor lighting.

I dunno, guys. I am finding these images quite comparable! Will look to see if I have any but it will have to wait (as it’s a work day for me today).

I think it’s helpful to know what the smartphone is when images are posted. (Going to add that back on the mobile devices thread, too.) I’m still using an iPhone 8Plus dinosaur (from a photographic standpoint) but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth on battery and some other issues, too. I don’t really want to upgrade but I think I might at some point. DD uses an iPhone 12 or 13 Max and the camera on it is phenomenal.

I dunno, guys. I am finding these images quite comparable! Will look to see if I have any but it will have to wait (as it’s a work day for me today).

I think it’s helpful to know what the smartphone is when images are posted. (Going to add that back on the mobile devices thread, too.) I’m still using an iPhone 8Plus dinosaur (from a photographic standpoint) but it’s getting a bit long in the tooth on battery and some other issues, too. I don’t really want to upgrade but I think I might at some point. DD uses an iPhone 12 or 13 Max and the camera on it is phenomenal.

That's the point.

I spent about 4 days taking images side by side. I came to the realisation that the smartphone image was quite good. It may have lacked the detail when I drilled in; but for socials, it was more than good enough.

The thing I missed was being able to take long exposure. But hubby had downloaded an app on his phone and managed to do that as well. I haven't taken a look at his images.
I suspect that I may be ditching the large camera for the next trip; which is rather sad. :(

Sunrise; Bristol

Smart Phone (iPhone 12 Pro)

View attachment 749159

Big Camera

View attachment 749160

Much better colour from the smart phone. Perhaps if I had better editing skills, I may have gotten better colour out of the smart phone image. :teeth:

I agree with what you are saying about better color using the smart phone. I sometimes find the same thing especially as I have said before when shooting in poor light or night time and in a hurry!

That's the point.

I spent about 4 days taking images side by side. I came to the realisation that the smartphone image was quite good. It may have lacked the detail when I drilled in; but for socials, it was more than good enough.

The thing I missed was being able to take long exposure. But hubby had downloaded an app on his phone and managed to do that as well. I haven't taken a look at his images.
I suspect that I may be ditching the large camera for the next trip; which is rather sad. :(
That’s sort of what happened to me a while back.

Good to see you, btw!

Bristol Suspension Bridge

iPhone 12 Pro, using in-phone filters

IMG_7441(Edited).jpg

Canon 7DMII, basic corrections in Light Room

2023 UK-9398.jpg

I try not to play with an image too much in Lightroom.
But looking at these two images, I may go back into LR and see if I can make the sky/cloud a little more dramatic.

In looking at most of these pictures, if they were unlabeled, and I had to choose one, I’d go with the smartphone pics. With the exceptions being Gaston’s Tavern and the waterway pictures (? Venice).

Good thread, Princess. I think it really helps to get good great pics on a smartphone, though, if you understand principles of photography and put some extra effort into it. Like we’ve seen with so many other things (DSLRs, in particular), buying a camera doesn’t automatically make one a great photographer. This is the thing that people really need to understand! Just because Princess, or Mark, or Kathy can eke out great photos on a smartphone, it doesn’t necessarily follow that Joe Public’s overall pictures are going to look just like theirs!

Big Camera

1680148021684.jpeg

Smartphone (iPhone 8Plus)

CBE01F65-07C1-4A64-981C-80A565AEDC4B.jpeg

I think the white plate in the bottom photo might’ve lent some brightness to it. But overall I think the food photo quality is comparable for everyday use, but there is extra sharpness in the big camera photo which I doubt most people would really notice.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter