What is a Pay Wall??

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
Just read a thread as PAy Wall in title caught my eye. Still have no idea what a Pay Wall is. Could someone please explain.

Thanks Tigger

So is Disboards now using PAy Wall?
No

Disuplugged has a Patreon page. Patreon is a website where people where people subscribe and pay various amounts of money on a monthly basis to access content.

People are complaining because some of the discussions about the recent Wish cruise Pete and other members of Disunplugged were on can only be accessed by people who have paid and subscribed on Patreon.

But thats the whole point of Patreon and other websites which you have to pay to subscribe to. When you pay money you get exclusive content not available on public websites.

A paywall means you have to pay to access certain pages on a website. Newspapers do it too. Disney+ is content behind a paywall.

But thats the whole point of Patreon and other websites which you have to pay to subscribe to. When you pay money you get exclusive content not available on public websites.
I am going to repeat myself but I tried really hard to be precise with my message and it keeps getting written off into things like I was asking for a review.

Why was the team on the Wish? Because they got an invite. Why would Disney invite them? Because of their Dream customers and their large YT audience.

IMO, there is no way they would have gotten comped that many rooms if it weren’t for their non-Patreon audience. Let’s stop right there. There is no way Disney didn’t mean for them to use the information for their clients and shows.

Pete is paying to go on the maiden voyage, if he never wants to share a single photo and keep it all for Patreon, I would be disappointed but he owes no one anything.

I thought they did a great job after the Star Wars hotel. I don’t understand the policy change.

And at the end of the day, if they want to make this their policy they are a premium service first, that’s fine, just let us know..

I am going to repeat myself but I tried really hard to be precise with my message and it keeps getting written off into things like I was asking for a review.

Why was the team on the Wish? Because they got an invite. Why would Disney invite them? Because of their Dream customers and their large YT audience.

IMO, there is no way they would have gotten comped that many rooms if it weren’t for their non-Patreon audience. Let’s stop right there. There is no way Disney didn’t mean for them to use the information for their clients and shows.

Pete is paying to go on the maiden voyage, if he never wants to share a single photo and keep it all for Patreon, I would be disappointed but he owes no one anything.

I thought they did a great job after the Star Wars hotel. I don’t understand the policy change.

And at the end of the day, if they want to make this their policy they are a premium service first, that’s fine, just let us know..
I work in digital marketing. I have hired bloggers for clients and I have also received promo items from companies. I know how things work and what the obligations are when you receive free things from companies.

I see nothing wrong from a marketing point of view. They have fulfilled their part of the benefit in kind contract. They have created content on their YouTube channel which is publicly available.

Each company will have different rules about what they require from a social media influencer when they give promo items or services.

People have all sorts of strange opinions about influencer marketing, which is usually very far from what it actually entails.

I'm not sure about the confusion. They did do content on the WISH from the media event, just not on their discussion show. So, far 10 videos on DCL Fan You Tube channel, and 8 in Spanish on Sí Disney. We'll get more after Jackie's trip and the maiden voyage. All of that for free. We'll hear about Pete, Panda's, and I'm sure Craig, Ryno's and Jackie's thoughts about the ship after the next two cruises and they are all back in the studio.

1657664285390.png

1657664328856.png

Spanish

1657683225334.png

1657683266458.png

Attachments

• 1657664071078.png
    1657664071078.png
    53 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657664148072.png
    1657664148072.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657664182168.png
    1657664182168.png
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • 1657683161971.png
    1657683161971.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 0

No

Disuplugged has a Patreon page. Patreon is a website where people where people subscribe and pay various amounts of money on a monthly basis to access content.

People are complaining because some of the discussions about the recent Wish cruise Pete and other members of Disunplugged were on can only be accessed by people who have paid and subscribed on Patreon.

A paywall means you have to pay to access certain pages on a website. Newspapers do it too. Disney+ is content behind a paywall.

So is Disboards now using Pay Wall?

All the team member's opinions will be coming out on the DCL channel soon, free for everyone to watch. Pete's only discussion on the Wish was a solo show where it was just him in from of a camera giving his experience of the maiden voyage he paid for. He wanted to release it because a solo show is a lot less work than a full team show, and the production team has been travelling a lot these past few weeks. It's not a policy change, and there will be tons of free videos about the ship. Just because Disney gave them press access for two nights does not obligate them to talk about it on the Tuesday show, they can cover it however they best see fit. There is so much more to the network than 1 hour a week of discussion.

Last edited:
Pete's only discussion on the Wish was a solo show where it was just him in from of a camera giving his experience of the maiden voyage he paid for. He wanted to release it because a solo show is a lot less work than a full team show, and the production team has been travelling a lot these past few weeks.

They actually discussed it on the July 5th Patreon after show over two weeks ago. The team was sitting in the studio and they did a whole Tuesday show saying they were purposefully holding it for Patreon. Their travel schedule, a solo show being less work, etc were not factors that kept them from addressing the main audience that day.

They literally could have done it and instead talked about Chapek, the Splash mountain name, ran a poll on whether coffee and fruit mix and polled the audience on Disney World pizza.

Also, I believe the Christening cruise was a full three night cruise with a visit to Castaway, but someone can correct me on that.

We can disagree (and do) whether they should have or not, but it's not accurate to say they didn't have an opportunity.

Last edited:
OH! I finally realized it's very simple to see if this is a policy change or not by going back to another Disney Christening cruise, so I went back and looked at what the team did when the Dream and Fantasy were christened.

Let's start with the Dream, Jan 19, 2011:
They posted day by day lengthy articles of the christening cruise with photos embedded (like of the restaurants) in a blog type format, this included hilarious details such as a list of every song the horn could play. It also appears this is some of the first YT content on the The Dis channel doing overview videos of the ships and the pre-embarkment party at MK. There was apparently hundreds of photos posted in a photo gallery that is no longer available.

And from the article of the day at Castaway it says, "Also, stay tuned to the DIS Unplugged podcast for all the team’s impressions of the Christening Cruise of the Disney Dream." The next podcast on Jan 26th was unique, at that time the podcast was typicaly done in several chunks (like housekeeping was typically one), this week it was just one topic that day and the description reads, "In this week's show, the team talks about the Disney Dream cruise, the newest member of the Disney Cruise Line fleet." This was the day of the MV for the Dream. It also appears the next podcast they recorded was Feburary 9th, and it has the same description and they were still talking about the Dream.

For the Fantasy, March 2, 2012:
The Christening was done in NY so it seems like fewer members of the team possibly went(?) and I can't tell if they sailed at that time? The ship then went south to Florida to prepare for it's MV on March 31st. But that very next show after the christening, March 7, one of the topics was.. "John and Kevin also tell us about their time Spent in New York for the Disney Fantasy Christening." I am wondering if some of the team went on a different preview cruise once it was in Florida, because the videos of the ship were posted late March and on the March 28th episode (still before the MV) the topic of the podcast was, "On this week's show the team discuss the Disney Fantasy, and a few of the top threads."

So, yeah they 100% covered them the last two times on the podcast immediately and before a MV. This time they discussed if fruit and coffee go together.

Last edited:
OH! I finally realized it's very simple to see if this is a policy change or not by going back to another Disney Christening cruise, so I went back and looked at what the team did when the Dream and Fantasy were christened.

They posted day by day lengthy articles of the christening cruise with photos embedded (like of the restaurants) in a blog type format, this included hilarious details such as a list of every song the horn could play. It also appears this is some of the first YT content on the The Dis channel doing overview videos of the ships and the pre-embarkment party at MK. There was apparently hundreds of photos posted in a photo gallery that is no longer available.

And from the article of day at Castaway it says, "Also, stay tuned to the DIS Unplugged podcast for all the team’s impressions of the Christening Cruise of the Disney Dream." The next podcast on Jan 26th was unique, at that time the podcast was typicaly done in several chunks (like housekeeping was typically one), this week it was just one topic that day and the description reads, "In this week's show, the team talks about the Disney Dream cruise, the newest member of the Disney Cruise Line fleet." This was the day of the MV for the Dream. It also appears the next podcast they recorded was Feburary 9th, and it has the same description and they were still talking about the Dream.

The Christening was done in NY so it seems like fewer members of the team possibly went(?) and I can't tell if they sailed at that time? The ship then went south to Florida to prepare for it's MV on March 31st. But that very next show after the christening, March 7, they covered a few topics but one of them was.. "John and Kevin also tell us about their time Spent in New York for the Disney Fantasy Christening." I am wondering if some of the team went on a different preview cruise once it was in Florida before the MV, because the videos of the ship were posted late March and on the March 28th episode (before the MV) the topic of the podcast was, "On this week's show the team discuss the Disney Fantasy, and a few of the top threads."

So, yeah they 100% covered them the last two times on the podcast immediately and before a MV. This time they discussed in fruit and coffee go together.
Thank you for taking the time to investigate this and bring some clarity to this discussion.

For the record, we could never take the time to go on a cruise because we are domesticating Rattus rattus (Roof rats) and their care requires our daily presence at home. So we weren't too concerned that we could watch the review as I'm sure the cruise was magical and we will never be able to experience that magic ourselves firsthand.

And from the article of the day at Castaway it says, "Also, stay tuned to the DIS Unplugged podcast for all the team’s impressions of the Christening Cruise of the Disney Dream." The next podcast on Jan 26th was unique, at that time the podcast was typicaly done in several chunks (like housekeeping was typically one), this week it was just one topic that day and the description reads, "In this week's show, the team talks about the Disney Dream cruise, the newest member of the Disney Cruise Line fleet." This was the day of the MV for the Dream. It also appears the next podcast they recorded was Feburary 9th, and it has the same description and they were still talking about the Dream.

The Christening was done in NY so it seems like fewer members of the team possibly went(?) and I can't tell if they sailed at that time? The ship then went south to Florida to prepare for it's MV on March 31st. But that very next show after the christening, March 7, one of the topics was.. "John and Kevin also tell us about their time Spent in New York for the Disney Fantasy Christening." I am wondering if some of the team went on a different preview cruise once it was in Florida, because the videos of the ship were posted late March and on the March 28th episode (still before the MV) the topic of the podcast was, "On this week's show the team discuss the Disney Fantasy, and a few of the top threads."

So, yeah they 100% covered them the last two times on the podcast immediately and before a MV. This time they discussed if fruit and coffee go together.
If you're not happy with the free coverage, you're welcome to leave.

If you're not happy with the free coverage, you're welcome to leave.
So your argument in your previous post was wrong, but rather than acknowledge that, you are asking me to just leave? Respectfully, I think it's important for those who are trying to get the information correct to stay.

The team was less tech savvy 10 years ago and weren't even doing video shows at the time.

It's tricky when others say just "let it go", this was an erosion of what would go on the Tuesday show. If the audience says nothing, it will continue to erode to Patreon. I may be wrong, but it appears there was an after show this week even though there wasn't a main show? How can you after show a non-show? It appears one was posted?

I fear at some point, the public show will be a "preview" and most the worthwhile parts will be in the "after" show, that's certainly what happened on July 5th.

I am glad I have disputed incorrect restatements of what I said or mis-directions, two people responding this way after I compiled a thoughtful anyalysis of how this compared to previous Disney inaugurations, just shows the only recourse is not to discuss it, but try and run me off.

So your argument in your previous post was wrong, but rather than acknowledge that, you are asking me to just leave? Respectfully, I think it's important for those who are trying to get the information correct to stay.

The team was less tech savvy 10 years ago and weren't even doing video shows at the time.

It's tricky when others say just "let it go", this was an erosion of what would go on the Tuesday show. If the audience says nothing, it will continue to erode to Patreon. I may be wrong, but it appears there was an after show this week even though there wasn't a main show? How can you after show a non-show? It appears one was posted?

I fear at some point, the public show will be a "preview" and most the worthwhile parts will be in the "after" show, that's certainly what happened on July 5th.

I am glad I have disputed incorrect restatements of what I said or mis-directions, two people responding this way after I compiled a thoughtful anyalysis of how this compared to previous Disney inaugurations, just shows the only recourse is not to discuss it, but try and run me off.

Actually, it is easy to let it go. It’s a review of a Disney cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter