What is an S2?

live4christp1

DIS Veteran
DH is having trouble getting his final security clearance. He has finished BCT and AIT. He has received his NOBE in order to register for school but he is still waiting for his final security clearance. He talked to one of his SGT's from his AIT base and was told he should see his S2......not sure what an S2 is.

Anyone have any ideas??????

2 is intelligence-S2 is the battalion or brigade level intelligence section-or specifically the battalion or brigade intelligence officer-they handle security clearances-is he having trouble getting an interim or a final? and is it secret or top secret? TS investigations can take a year-but usually they grant an interim if there is nothing obvious that prevents it. I have a secret for my job and it took six months to get a final-and that was fast. So it may just be a time factor. But if he needs to talk to S2-its the intell officer or NCOIC (non commissioned officer in charge-usually a master Sergeant) at the battalion Level that he needs to talk to-unless he is assigned to a Brigade Headquarters-then it would be the Brigade S2

It is for his MOS which is 25U. He had to talk to the investigator before he left Ft. Gordon as there were a couple of things showing up on his credit report as negative......we did contact the companies and got them to send letters of proof of payment, etc. and the investigator looked at them and said it appeared they were taken care of, wasn't sure why they were even showing up. DH graduated March 19th, so it's been almost 3 months. He has drilled with the RSP unit last month for the final time upon his return from AIT and has report to his unit, this weekend will be his first drill with them. His SGT at this unit also said he would need to talk to the S2 about it. He is certified in his MOS but due to waiting on the security clearance he is not considered MOSQ. Now from talking to the person over the school assistance said that he had to be MOSQ to get his NOBE but his NOBE was posted on 3/25/2008. So I'm just really confused. He qualified for the critical skills MOS bonus (gets 1/2 now) but he doesn't get it until he gets his security clearance.

Clearances can take time-its the army already-and 3 months is not an extreme wait for a clearance-but-the SGT is right-someone in the 2 shop is the person who can get answers-because they have access to JPASS-if his unit is a Company level unit-they will tell him who to call-if its a BN or BDE HQ unit-he can just walk into the 2's office at drill and ask. My husband is an S2 NCOIC and he usually has half a dozen guys with clearances pending-it could just be that final approving authority has gone on leave or TDY-or has a huge back log-hard to know-but def needs to check with the 2. (platoon sgt or first shirt can tell him which guy is the 2) Also-he maybe cleared-and show in JPASS as cleared-but the paper work to notify him and the unit that he has cleared is hung somewhere-that would explain the NOBE going thru.

it's no quick thing to get a secuity clearance. My husband already has a security clearance and when it was time to get a higher level one we had to fill out all new stuff and it took I think a good 4 months to get it all done and accessed to raise his clearance.

Thanks Tina & JSmith for the info. We were just concerned and wanted to double check and make sure they got the same information from the few negative reports that were showing up when he last talked to them. Will pass this info along to DH. I think they are understaffed at Fort Gordon to and that has probably made issues like this go even slower.

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter