What is cruise semi formal attire?

We enjoy dressing up as well for formal night, but honestly, when we cruised with my whole family my brother wore a baseball hat with his shirt and tie. He kills me. For formal night my family wore tuxes or black suits. I wore an evening gown. For the semi-formal night my husband wore a suit and my boys wore a dress shirt, black pants and bowties. I wore a cocktail dress.

No, lost 50 pounds working from home. Refrigerator full of HEALTHY food 30 feet away instead of vending machines filled with Hot Pockets, Hershey Bars, Donuts.......and CHOCOLATE MILK.

oh I’m impressed!! I do not pandemic well. I hate to buy something formal because I’m sure I’ll lose this. But not in 34 days!! 😂

We enjoy dressing up as well for formal night, but honestly, when we cruised with my whole family my brother wore a baseball hat with his shirt and tie. He kills me. For formal night my family wore tuxes or black suits. I wore an evening gown. For the semi-formal night my husband wore a suit and my boys wore a dress shirt, black pants and bowties. I wore a cocktail dress.
View attachment 647030

View attachment 647031

Are you kidding me this family is gorgeous!!!

Do they do the formal night on the 4 night cruises? We are gettign ready for our first cruise next spring and youngest DD got super pumped to go all out with her dress. The trip is a gift for her sweet 16, so I will wear my 3 piece (wedding and funeral suit) and match my tie to her dress.

Do they do the formal night on the 4 night cruises? We are gettign ready for our first cruise next spring and youngest DD got super pumped to go all out with her dress. The trip is a gift for her sweet 16, so I will wear my 3 piece (wedding and funeral suit) and match my tie to her dress.
No, there is a "dress up optional" night, but no "formal" night. You certainly may dress up as much as you wish, regardless of an actual formal night.

I’m going on a 7 night Star Wars crusie I’m assuming the dress criteria will be:

Cruise Casual
Semi-Formal
Pirate
Star Wars
Formal

What would you guys say is mens semi formal attire?

For me it would be:

- short sleeve polo/golf shirt
- long sleeve polo
- Pirate gear that I bought onboard
- Not a big Star Wars fan so idk
- A suit

Definitely agree that more people ignore the Formal/Semi-Formal or Optional Dress-Up night than follow it. My wife and I personally love the excuse to dress nicer than we normally can. For me, Semi-Formal is a suit and Formal is a tux. For our last Optional Dress-up on a 4 night I brought my Navy Dinner Dress Blues. (Again, how often do I get the chance to wear that uniform?) I will admit that I didn't see any adults dressing up for the evening on the 4 night; the only other guys who dressed up for it were some 8-10 year old kids in Prince Charming style outfits.......

Definitely agree that more people ignore the Formal/Semi-Formal or Optional Dress-Up night than follow it. My wife and I personally love the excuse to dress nicer than we normally can. For me, Semi-Formal is a suit and Formal is a tux.
I blame Disney for this. They don't actually TELL you that there will be a formal night ahead of time unless you seek the information out, which might not occur to a lot of people. You can't blame guests for not wearing a suit to dinner if they didn't know they were supposed to pack one.

I also think they cause a lot of consternation with the formal/semi-formal distinction. If they're not going to define them, they should only have one or the other. I personally don't think they should have formal at all if they're not going to offer onboard tuxedo rentals.

I blame Disney for this. They don't actually TELL you that there will be a formal night ahead of time unless you seek the information out, which might not occur to a lot of people. You can't blame guests for not wearing a suit to dinner if they didn't know they were supposed to pack one.

I also think they cause a lot of consternation with the formal/semi-formal distinction. If they're not going to define them, they should only have one or the other. I personally don't think they should have formal at all if they're not going to offer onboard tuxedo rentals.
They don’t tell you because a majority of people would not go. I don’t mind dressing nicely, but not on vacation. Plus having to pack a suit and extra shoes is a big no from me…

I’m going on a 7 night Star Wars crusie I’m assuming the dress criteria will be:

Cruise Casual
Semi-Formal
Pirate
Star Wars
Formal

What would you guys say is mens semi formal attire?
When we went it was just like a pair of slacks & a button up. Hope this helps!

They don’t tell you because a majority of people would not go. I don’t mind dressing nicely, but not on vacation. Plus having to pack a suit and extra shoes is a big no from me…
Then they shouldn't do it, which I would also be fine with. I just want them to pick a lane. "Formal night," with a definition of what that means and an enforced dress code is fine with me, as long as alternate dining is available for those who don't want to participate. I'm also fine with dropping formal night entirely. I strongly dislike this no-man's-land they've chosen, "formal night but lol not really."

Great discussion. I would enjoy formal night but I think it’s less packing and more choices for women. A husband and two boys, yikes that’s a lot of packing!
Because I like to think about these things…. I wonder about the men who don’t want to dress ”up”. If they were invited to the Clubhouse at a major event, say the Masters, would they insist on wearing shorts and T-shirt and runners? Or the owners box at the Super Bowl. Just wondering, don’t care either way. Baseball caps in a dining room? You shouldn’t need to be told.

Then they shouldn't do it, which I would also be fine with. I just want them to pick a lane. "Formal night," with a definition of what that means and an enforced dress code is fine with me, as long as alternate dining is available for those who don't want to participate. I'm also fine with dropping formal night entirely. I strongly dislike this no-man's-land they've chosen, "formal night but lol not really."

I guess they would probably make a lot more waves if they actually "pick(ed) a lane", so to speak. Most people just do not really worry that much about it. Some do it, some don't. I really do not see how it impacts either choice negatively. So what if you are wearing a sport coat and the person beside you has on shorts and a polo? Does it really change your experience?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter