What is Universal Orlando's biggest flaw?

Have to agree these parks are great fun rides great shows come on people seriously complaining y?:jester:

Universal to me, is a copy-cat-wanna-be-MGM studios....was NOT impressed with this park, but I DO like IOA!;)

Poohbear I have to disagree!! MGM was just not fun to my family. I have a 7 year old and we have been going to Universal several times a year for about 3 years now. We enjoy Universal so much because my 7 y/o can do EVERYTHING there. He gets to ride all the rides and I might add LOVES all of them. Also the characters at Universal and IOA are more to his liking.(Spiderman, Rugrats, Thornberrys, Shrek, Jimmy Neutron).

Originally posted by Poohbear123
Universal to me, is a copy-cat-wanna-be-MGM studios....was NOT impressed with this park, but I DO like IOA!;)

LOL, that's funny, since MGM was the copycat, and the reason why it didn't have much when it opened is that Disney rushed it, so it would open before Universal. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ChrisFL
LOL, that's funny, since MGM was the copycat, and the reason why it didn't have much when it opened is that Disney rushed it, so it would open before Universal. :rolleyes:

Who can name the 4 attractions that were open when Disney-MGM first opened? :)

The Great Movie Ride and Indiana Jones Spectacular and the Backstage tour. Cant think of another :confused:

Got to disagree no way is Universal copying MGM I liked MGM but at times just thought to myself its to big for whats in it I think people miss shows at Universal which are great and not to be missed if u only do the park for rides then u will miss a lot it has to offer also found the flintstones to be great characters to talk to they really clowned about for photos:jester:

Who can name the 4 attractions that were open when Disney-MGM first opened
Animation Tour, Backstage Tour with Catostrophe Canyon, The Great Movie Ride, Superstar Theater, Sound Show with Chevy Chase and Martin Short.

Indy was still in rehearsal and Star Tours was still under construction.

Who can name the 4 attractions that were open when Disney-MGM first opened
Animation Tour, Backstage Tour with Catostrophe Canyon, The Great Movie Ride, Superstar Theater, Sound Show with Chevy Chase and Martin Short.
Plus, the original nameless stage show in the old Theater of the Stars that was like "Hollywood meets Broadway" and included a white clad and top hatted Goofy and kick-line dancers.

Also, didn't the "Epic Stunt Spectacular" or something close to that predate Indiana Jones by about 6 months? I recall the show being generic and using many props that eventually became part of the Indy show. It seemed like they were working the bugs out of Indy before officially slapping the name on it.

Of course, the Backstage Studio Tour was 2 1/2 hours long back then, when New York Street was not open to walkers. Remember when the tram looped around in the space where the ABC Commissary is now? It began behind the animation building, proceeded straight ahead through costuming and scene shop, headed down residential street, around Washington Square, down New York Street, looped, came back around by where Hunchback was and then onto Catastrophe Canyon. Then came the water tank, then through what became Backstage Pass and ended in the Walt Disney Theater (became Voyage of the Little Mermaid.) Now THAT was a tour!

YES! I remember that tour!:eek: Gad, was it LONG!!:confused: When I first visited MGM, it was June of 1989!:eek: I believe Dick Tracy the Movie with Warren Beatty was either coming out than, or already out. Also, I remember the display of Roger Rabbit props near the food court by Star Tours?:confused: Correct me if I am wrong. Sorry if I made some UNI People UPSET, but I REALLY expected MORE from this Park than I experienced.:confused: Like I said in the above post: I LOVE IOA!!;)

Poohbear, I think that it's all subjective. MGM has been my favorite park for a long time but it felt rather flat to me this past year. I feel like many of the attractions have slipped and the park seems to be losing its "movie magic" theme. In turn, I didn't expect that much from Universal but I was very thrilled to say the least. I personally enjoy the type of attraction that Universal specializes in and wish that MGM would do more of this.

IOA itself has stunning theming but doesn't seem to have all that much to do for me. Of course, I wouldn't ride the Hulk or Dr Doom for anything in the world :) and that makes a big difference. I expect great things from IOA though just based on its theming. Universal has some areas like Amity and New York that I thought were nicely themed but other areas didn't look as good IMO.

Originally posted by Poohbear123
Sorry if I made some UNI People UPSET, but I REALLY expected MORE from this Park than I experienced.:confused:

It wasn't your opinion, but the falsity of your statement that made people upset.

In 1915, Carl Laemmle opened Universal City, "the world's first self-contained community dedicated to making movies". Visitor's were welcome to Universal City to observe and experience movie making up close, until 1930, when the development of sound in films demanded quite sets.

In 1964, the Universal Studios tour was reinstated, transporting trams full of guests into the back lots and inner workings of the movie studio, later on integrating first hand movie experiences, from The Ten Commandments, Jaws, King Kong, and Earthquake. Eventually Universal built a theme park adjacent to its movie studio, with attractions such as The E.T. Adventure and Back To The Future...The Ride, incorporating the existing tram tour.

Universal had been planning a Florida based sister to the Hollywood original since the early 80s. Universal looked to partner with Paramount Pictures, of which Michael Eisner was President and CEO at the time. In 1984, Eisner became Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. Soon after, the Disney/MGM Studios was places on the fast track to become the third gate at the Walt Disney World Resort. About three years from conception to opening day, the Disney/MGM Studios was rushed through production in time to beat Universal Studios Florida by more then a year.

The scatter-brain layout of Disney/MGM mimics that of Universal Hollywood's, with it's erratic midways and ride arrangement. There’s even a tram tour of the "back lot", with "Catastrophe Canyon" as a shorthand conglomerate of the Earthquake/Kong/Alan Smithe Bridge experiences from the USH tram tour. In the end, Universal Florida was laid out thoughtfully, actually integrating the back lot, soundstages and movie encounters into the immediate theme park experience.

Universal Studios Hollywood was the first movie studio theme park ever, and the Disney/MGM Studios was created to directly compete with Universal Studios Florida, so it's not Universal who's being the copy cat.

Now, reading this, you may get the idea that I totally dislike MGM Studios, which is not true. Just a week ago I shelled out the 50 bucks to visit the park again (granted, I haven’t been in a number of years). I love that MGM's angle on the studio theme park is to highlight the concept of the ideal Hollywood, fully using the term "Disneytized", while Universal concentrates on providing a more realistic view of filmmaking in general. I also love that MGM, over the years, has successfully expanded to encompass the entire idea of show biz, including film, music, television and stage (I love their tagline "Where Show Biz Is"). Universal, on the other hand, has unfortunately neglected it's filmmaking roots, no longer making an effort to maintain the pretense that we're actually guests of a working studios.

Regardless, all things considered, I think “Uncle Carl” would be just as proud as “Uncle Walt.”

-Kevin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter