What is your least favourite Disney movie?

I think what bothers me is the whole plot literally revolves around people and specifically the fairies making one stupid mistake after another. Also somehow after taking care of sleeping beauty for 16 years, they can't cook can't sew ect. How they survived without magic beats me. Anyway the plot revolves around fairies who are god like beings acting stupid and they need to keep acting stupid and doing stupid things to forward the plot. I hate that type of plot. Its like watching a threes company sitcom or something.

Fair enough. The fairies are kinds dim. I think Aurora did everything around there - some upbringing for a princess! Also though, I consider the fairies to be operating on a different level of existence - it's possible that things transpired as they must through them. I mean, it's a fairy tale - best not to scrutinize it too hard.

Pinocchio is effed up in my opinion. When Lampwick got turned into a donkey and cried for his mother, 4 year old me started sobbing. Pretty sure adult me still would. A children’s movie with human trafficking is pretty grim, even for Disney.

Lampwick is such a peice of work though - he's chewing tobacco and smoking a cigar at the same time! That's quite the lifestyle choice. It's interesting that Walt pushed for the Pleasure Island stuff to be more wild - it was originally like a candy world with sweets and such, but Walt felt that young boys that were unsupervised were basically little animals and would just go nuts. I think it's funny.

Little Mermaid sends all the wrong messages. Defy your parents, run off, get yourself in trouble, then get rewarded for it? She never returns home. It seems like she didn't learn anything.

I don't know. Ariel was right to rebel and find her own life - it was her father that needed to learn the lesson, that he can't keep her and bend her to his will forever. I guess it worked with her sisters, but Ariel is the one with more self-determination. And yeah, a lot of these old stories feature teenagers finding their way int the world a lot earlier than our current society dictates, but at the time the tales were written this was expected. Also, with fairy tales there isn't a concern that this is the "wrong relationship" etc. - the characters are 100% what they are. Eric is a good man and is 100% good and right for Ariel, as she is for him and the will live happily ever after. It's not something you can apply those kinds of sensibilities to.

Fair enough. The fairies are kinds dim. I think Aurora did everything around there - some upbringing for a princess! Also though, I consider the fairies to be operating on a different level of existence - it's possible that things transpired as they must through them. I mean, it's a fairy tale - best not to scrutinize it too hard.

Lampwick is such a peice of work though - he's chewing tobacco and smoking a cigar at the same time! That's quite the lifestyle choice. It's interesting that Walt pushed for the Pleasure Island stuff to be more wild - it was originally like a candy world with sweets and such, but Walt felt that young boys that were unsupervised were basically little animals and would just go nuts. I think it's funny.

I don't know. Ariel was right to rebel and find her own life - it was her father that needed to learn the lesson, that he can't keep her and bend her to his will forever. I guess it worked with her sisters, but Ariel is the one with more self-determination. And yeah, a lot of these old stories feature teenagers finding their way int the world a lot earlier than our current society dictates, but at the time the tales were written this was expected. Also, with fairy tales there isn't a concern that this is the "wrong relationship" etc. - the characters are 100% what they are. Eric is a good man and is 100% good and right for Ariel, as she is for him and the will live happily ever after. It's not something you can apply those kinds of sensibilities to.
BTW - I find it hilarious we are debating the message in a cartoon movie, but SO much better than that other topic, so I AM IN!

I can see your point - it is the father who learns the lesson, but it's not like Ariel even knew Eric - she just rescued him from drowning. She never even talked to him. How could she possibly know he was right for her? He could be a complete jerk - she doesn't know. Are there no mermaid men her age that could ever be right for her? I find that hard to believe. From her Dad's perspective, she took a terrible, unnecessary risk that had no good outcomes for her in relation to her family. Worst case, she returns and doesn't have a voice, best case, she doesn't return - ever. Poseidon was right to be upset with her - and yet he's happy it ended the way it did? Why? I mean, he loves her and she ended up OK but he could only be relieved, not happy about it.

Anybody else find it odd that we are on page 2 and nobody has mentioned Song of the South?

BTW - I find it hilarious we are debating the message in a cartoon movie, but SO much better than that other topic, so I AM IN!

I can see your point - it is the father who learns the lesson, but it's not like Ariel even knew Eric - she just rescued him from drowning. She never even talked to him. How could she possibly know he was right for her? He could be a complete jerk - she doesn't know. Are there no mermaid men her age that could ever be right for her? I find that hard to believe. From her Dad's perspective, she took a terrible, unnecessary risk that had no good outcomes for her in relation to her family. Worst case, she returns and doesn't have a voice, best case, she doesn't return - ever. Poseidon was right to be upset with her - and yet he's happy it ended the way it did? Why? I mean, he loves her and she ended up OK but he could only be relieved, not happy about it.

The thing is, yeah, Eric could be a jerk, but he's not. That's what I mean when I say they are 100% what they are. They are archetypes, so "love at first sight" is possible with them. It seems pretty obvious that Ariel didn't really find any mer-fellas to interesting as she wasn't enamored with her home anyway. I think Triton is happy for her as a father should be. If you want to take the sequel into account, she did keep in touch after all.

Anybody else find it odd that we are on page 2 and nobody has mentioned Song of the South?
I have never seen it. But other than the racial stuff is it a bad movie? And I know people have mentioned Mary Poppins which is a combo animated, live action. But if people include live action movies in this well oh lord there are some really bad ones I think. I haven't seen that many old live action Disney movies but my understanding is there are tons of really bad ones in the 70s,and 80s

Yea I don't hate sleeping beauty. Its not even in my bottom 5 Disney animated movies. I just feel like it could have been so much better with some tightened writing. Its got the animation, its got the villain, its got the music. With some better writing, and flushing out of the characters it could be the best Disney animated of all time. The potential is there. Just not the follow through in my opinion.

I have never seen it. But other than the racial stuff is it a bad movie? And I know people have mentioned Mary Poppins which is a combo animated, live action. But if people include live action movies in this well oh lord there are some really bad ones I think. I haven't seen that many old live action Disney movies but my understanding is there are tons of really bad ones in the 70s,and 80s
To be clear, nobody has mentioned Mary Poppins as a movie they did not like, right? Because THAT is classic. Watch the first episode of Prop Culture on Disney + and you'll love it even more.

To be clear, nobody has mentioned Mary Poppins as a movie they did not like, right? Because THAT is classic. Watch the first episode of Prop Culture on Disney + and you'll love it even more.
Oh sorry yea no one mentioned it in movies they didn't like. But did in movies they like the best in another thread. Sorry I was not clear on that.

Well, "really bad" is in the eye of the beholder. Many of those movies are actually pretty charming, but you need to have the right mindset about them. They can be quite silly.

Last edited:
Well, "really bad" is in the eye of the beholder. Many of those movies are actually pretty charming, but you need to have the right mindset about them. They can be quite silly.
Yea very true. Everything is subjective. Like I said before I don't even think Fox and the Hound is a bad movie. But I don't like it thats for sure lol. I will throw sword in the stone in there as one of my least favorite Disney movies. I know some people like that one to. Its another one where the subject matter seems like it could have been a really good movie. But to me its as dull as a butter knife. And maybe the Shermans brothers weakest set of songs for a Disney movie.

Yea very true. Everything is subjective. Like I said before I don't even think Fox and the Hound is a bad movie. But I don't like it thats for sure lol. I will throw sword in the stone in there as one of my least favorite Disney movies. I know some people like that one to. Its another one where the subject matter seems like it could have been a really good movie. But to me its as dull as a butter knife. And maybe the Shermans brothers weakest set of songs for a Disney movie.

Yeah, Sword in the Stone is sort of all over the place - it needed a more connective narrative. Some of the visuals are pretty iconic, but the story is just strange. It's episodic, but some of it doesn't even seem to connect to the rest. It's definitely one of the lower ones for me.

The fox and the hound. Just depressing. I can't believe Disney made this movie for kids. Its brutal.
I liked it, but if you want to talk about brutal I hear the book is worse. If interested look up on Youtube "The Messed Up Origins of The Fox and the Hound". (At least I think that's it. ) Disturbing.

Yeah, Sword in the Stone is sort of all over the place - it needed a more connective narrative. Some of the visuals are pretty iconic, but the story is just strange. It's episodic, but some of it doesn't even seem to connect to the rest. It's definitely one of the lower ones for me.
Overall I enjoyed it but it infuriates me that Wart's voice changes throughout the film. I guess they had 3 different voice actors for Wart so in one scene he may sound like a young kid and in another an adolescent just going through puberty. I always wondered what the heck they were thinking when they did that. That's definitely one where they should redo the soundtrack with ONE preteen boy doing the voice.

Sword in the Stone was a fun, gag-filled movie but it also relied on duplicating scenes from previous movies to lessen production costs. You think they would have learned about Arthurian legend before they committed to getting the Black Cauldron onto the screen. LOL

I agree Pinocchio is really one of those confusing ones of HOW that could have ever been appropriate. I realize animation has changed so much and entertainment has also changed, but WOW. That movie just has not aged well.

Also I am not a huge fan of 101 Dalmatians. yes the puppies are cute and I love the Disney Channel cartoon from the '90's but again, another Disney movie about animals that just was awful, no matter how they work the comic relief with the bumbling henchmen and cute puppies.

Also there was nothing memorable about Home on the Range. I can at least tell you the basic premise of Chicken Little LOL

Sword in the Stone was a fun, gag-filled movie but it also relied on duplicating scenes from previous movies to lessen production costs. You think they would have learned about Arthurian legend before they committed to getting the Black Cauldron onto the screen. LOL

I agree Pinocchio is really one of those confusing ones of HOW that could have ever been appropriate. I realize animation has changed so much and entertainment has also changed, but WOW. That movie just has not aged well.

Also I am not a huge fan of 101 Dalmatians. yes the puppies are cute and I love the Disney Channel cartoon from the '90's but again, another Disney movie about animals that just was awful, no matter how they work the comic relief with the bumbling henchmen and cute puppies.

Also there was nothing memorable about Home on the Range. I can at least tell you the basic premise of Chicken Little LOL
I have to say I really like 101 Dalmatians. I know its really awful what that crazy women wants to do to those puppies but I guess even if it was terrible I always felt all would end up good. I don't think its bad to have a bad guy or girl who is evil. I guess with The Fox and Hound it just all felt to real to me if that makes sense. I mean you have a Bambi scene in the first five minutes, then you have a freaking crazy hillbilly blasting everything he can, and not like looney toons, like shooting to kill. As much as he possibly can. He goes into the forrest and just kills animals, almost kills his neighbor. Tries to break into her house, sneaks on to a game preserve to try and kill this fox that he hates with a passion. Then in the end this lunatic is partially forgiven by this old lady. He has one small moment of clarity. Its just a crazy message for kids or heck adults. I am not sure what the heck Disney was trying to portray in that movie except life is cruel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter