What kind of carry on do you use?

Clare Voince

In Spiritual Repose
I've been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, so on my next trip I'm going to have to bring a CPAP machine with me. I don't have the machine yet, so I don't know how large or heavy it will be. I always check my main suitcase and bring some essentials in a carry on, and I won't want to check the CPAP. So I'm looking for a new bag, and I'm not sure if I want a backpack, a wheeled underseater, a messenger style bag or one that can be used multiple ways. Thought you guys could maybe recommend a good bag for me?

Your machine won't be too big. Every year those machines get smaller. And it's not counted in your carryon allowance anywaysinde it's medical equipment.

I generally have a rolling carryon and a personal item that fits under the seat in front of me. Dh has the same plus his cpap bag.

There are various sizes of CPAP, including portable, so you may be better to wait until you know the size.

If your CPAP is in its own bag (which contains ONLY medical items) it will NOT count toward your carry-on allowance as long as it isn't larger than the carryon bag size. This may give you some additional options.

Part of your type of bag decision will be what type of planes you usually fly on. If you fly the smaller regional jets they sometimes have different (smaller) carry-on size requirements and may require gate checking larger carryons [you get them back at the gate when you land]; with medical equipment you want it in the cabin, not gate checked. An underseat bag will generally meet both size requirements, but it is always good to check the requirements for the airlines you normally fly and the plane types you normally fly.

Question to veteran CPAP users, can you put the machine inside your carry on bay, or must it be separate like laptops? I have seen many CPAP machines out of their bags and available for inspection while waiting in TSA queues.

If you put it in a separate "medical" bag you cannot put anything else in it or it will be considered an additional carry-on. And yes they do check. My nephew travels with a bag of medical equipment and they check every time.

Thanks for the replies! I never even thought it might be considered medical equipment, but it seems obvious now. :) I don't really want to carry two bags in addition to my purse, so I'd rather fit it into my carry on than carry it in a separate bag. Thanks for the TSA link, I wouldn't have known that I'd have to remove it! You saved me a big hassle.. if I put it in a bag, I'll make sure it's easily accessible. Do you think it would be worth getting TSA precheck?

Thanks for the replies! I never even thought it might be considered medical equipment, but it seems obvious now. :) I don't really want to carry two bags in addition to my purse, so I'd rather fit it into my carry on than carry it in a separate bag. Thanks for the TSA link, I wouldn't have known that I'd have to remove it! You saved me a big hassle.. if I put it in a bag, I'll make sure it's easily accessible. Do you think it would be worth getting TSA precheck?

IMO TSA precheck is worth getting regardless. Depending where you live and travel, look into NEXUS and Global Entry, both of which give you TSA precheck and may be a better deal.

You need an Rx for CPAP, so it is even medical equipment nobody can quibble over ;-)

Dh hasn't had to take his machine when he's going through what he calls real precheck. That means when going through a dedicated line, not one drawing from the regular line.

But he's always prepared to to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter