What kind of salad to make with fajitas?

eeyoreforever

DIS Veteran
Help! I am not a cook at all. We are going to my SIL for a family get together and fajitas is the meal. I'm in charge of bringing a salad (not a lettuce salad) and I'm totally clueless.

Any ideas and recipes to share? Please???

Okay - not sure what a salad other than a lettuce salad would be... But, I have had this awesome mexican type salad that does have lettuce. Iceberg or whatever kind of lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, drained and rinsed black beans, tomatoes, coarsely crushed Doritos, and Catalina dressing. Dice the tomatoes, dump on top of beans and lettuce. Just prior to serving, add in the cheese, Doritos, and dressing and toss together. Leftovers (if there are any) are not worth saving as the Doritos will be soggy.

Hmm..I really don't eat mexican. I will look it up on the internet and post what I find.

I have been making a black bean salad lately. It has corn, chopped green & any other color peppers - even hot if you can take the heat, avacado, tomato. The dressing can be cumin, oil, lime juice. Chill in the fridge a few hours. Very good. Can even be added as a topping to fajitas. :goodvibes

I make a raw corn salad that's awesome (if I do say so myself)! It's just raw corn (cut off the cob, no frozen stuff), chopped red pepper, chopped tomatoes, chopped celery, chopped red onion and some parsley. I serve it on baby spinich leaves. It's so sweet and definitely different from "regular" lettuce salad.

Thanks for the replies. I actually ended up making a Southwestern salad (almost the recipe provided by virginiamama) with black beans, corn, cheese, tomatoes, crushed chips mixed with a dressing made of Ranch and Picante sauce. Served over a bed of mixed greens, so it really wasn't like eating a lettuce salad. Turned out really good and the bowl was empty when we left.

I'll have to try some of these other recipes so I have a bigger selection to choose from in the future.

The dressing of cumin, oil and lime juice in mork's recipe sounds so good. I ate some guacamole one time at a restuarant and they had some type of dressing on top of it, but they wouldn't tell me what was in it. I know it had cumin, and now I'm betting it was something similar to this.

Thanks again.

I made this very yummy mango salad when i have a mexican themed dinner party and all of my friends loved it

I made this very yummy mango salad when i have a mexican themed dinner party and all of my friends loved it

I always make a corn & black bean salad. While we all enjoy that, I think a mango salad sounds like a great alternative...especially since everyone else loves mango. Would you care to share your recipe?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter