What one thing in DL needs most work?

Which of the four do you think could best use a makeover?

• Food/Dining

• Rides/Attractions

• Theming (characters, greets, CMs, design, etc.)

• Shows/Parades

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sherwin

<font color=royalblue>Not-so-secretly crushing on
I've picked out four general aspects of the resort that I think would be good candidates. So which out of these three would need the most work?

• Food/Dining
  • Rides/Attractions
  • Theming (characters, greets, CMs, design, etc.)
  • Shows & Parades

I think if I had to choose one, it would be dining. DL should definitely add a lot more options, particularly TS and CS, and have food be as ubiquitous to the park as it is at WDW.

I know already Food/Dining is going to win out based on how many people are always complaining on here that there aren't as many food options at DLR. Here is the deal...DLR is 2 parks...WDW is 4 parks. 1 of which is dedicated to the world (Epcot) hence tons of food options. I think people need to be more realistic and if you are going to compare DLR and WDW you can only really compare DL and TMK. They are the closest things to each other IMHO. :goodvibes

The new parade "Celebrate" needs to be shown along with Parade of Dreams and not by itself. It needs more "Disney Magic, Music, Drama, Originality, Etc...."

I went with "rides & attractions".

Not because I think there's anything wrong with the current rides & attractions, but because there are so many "shells" of former attractions that go either unused (Skyway stations, Peoplemover tracks) or could stand to be revamped due to low attendance. Half of the Starcade sits empty; it'd be super-cool to put something new in there! And though Innoventions is currently in the old America Sings building, it's usually pretty empty. There should be a new show that utilizes the revolving theater, which to me is still a pretty "futuristic" concept even though it was built in 1967.

I went with "rides & attractions".

Not because I think there's anything wrong with the current rides & attractions, but because there are so many "shells" of former attractions that go either unused (Skyway stations, Peoplemover tracks) or could stand to be revamped due to low attendance. Half of the Starcade sits empty; it'd be super-cool to put something new in there! And though Innoventions is currently in the old America Sings building, it's usually pretty empty. There should be a new show that utilizes the revolving theater, which to me is still a pretty "futuristic" concept even though it was built in 1967.

My thoughts exactly--Tomorrowland needs a total re-do.

FOOD

The Blue Bayou has horrid food for the price.

DLR is not allergen friendly. I do not like the idea that Rainforest Cafe does not serve rice and potatos nor does ESPN Zone. Blue Bayou also does not serve rice and beans and potatos. At least Plaza Inn serves pototos.

What is wrong with all the restaurants in DLR not having desserts? WHERE IS MY YUMMY DESSERT? Sorry but you get none. I sat there twice in Ariel's and could have yucky sorbet. Everyone else gets deluxe desserts but not me.

I have to bring my own bread and desserts to DLR so why am I not given a discount for the lack of potatos and rice and beans and salad and soup and bread and dessert.

FIX FOODS NOW
We want real food just like everyone else. How hard would it be to have some Uncle Ben's rice to nuke or Lundgren's rice that you fry in oil or butter then add water and simmer. DLR has no allergen policy in place as far as I am concerned. WDW you can write and they send you lists for everything but DLR handed me one list and that was it. I never got the soy free list and heaven help me if I asked for egg free or corn free foods.

Yes this is a rant as my nose hurts and I am looking at minor cross contamination again and in my own home.

FOOD

The Blue Bayou has horrid food for the price.

DLR is not allergen friendly. I do not like the idea that Rainforest Cafe does not serve rice and potatos nor does ESPN Zone. Blue Bayou also does not serve rice and beans and potatos. At least Plaza Inn serves pototos.

What is wrong with all the restaurants in DLR not having desserts? WHERE IS MY YUMMY DESSERT? Sorry but you get none. I sat there twice in Ariel's and could have yucky sorbet. Everyone else gets deluxe desserts but not me.

I have to bring my own bread and desserts to DLR so why am I not given a discount for the lack of potatos and rice and beans and salad and soup and bread and dessert.

FIX FOODS NOW
We want real food just like everyone else. How hard would it be to have some Uncle Ben's rice to nuke or Lundgren's rice that you fry in oil or butter then add water and simmer. DLR has no allergen policy in place as far as I am concerned. WDW you can write and they send you lists for everything but DLR handed me one list and that was it. I never got the soy free list and heaven help me if I asked for egg free or corn free foods.

Yes this is a rant as my nose hurts and I am looking at minor cross contamination again and in my own home.

Hmm, maybe I'm special but I've had rice and potatoes at all those places (except ESPN as we have not eaten there) you list as not having them. It's all mixed with other things, like at BB they add cheese and make a sauce so it's not Celiac friendly but the kids have had fries with their meals and my BFF who has Celiac's asked for and received fries with her BB meal, she was also given a rice option but she went with fries. Altho with all your other allergies maybe you can't have the oil that the fries are cooked in? We've had fries at RFC too but again, maybe it's the same issue? I don't know all your other allergies tho so like I said maybe there are other reasons you can't have the fries that we were offered. :) As for desserts, I totally agree with you! I wish they had more options for desserts, for those who are Celiac's or those who simply want to have something without the flour. I try to follow a South Beach type of "diet" but have troubles when they bring out those dessert trays. LOL

I would like to have more food options available, more sit down, more CS, just more choices. I would also love to see a revamp of the entirety of Tomorrowland, it's really showing it's wear and needs to be fixed up. I think my vote would be for rides.

I strongly vote rides and attractions. DL especially needs a new E ticket.

I think the other dining area where DLR is judged unfairly is not taking into account the DTD options. They are so close the really are part of the parks total dining package.

Hmm, maybe I'm special but I've had rice and potatoes at all those places (except ESPN as we have not eaten there) you list as not having them. It's all mixed with other things, like at BB they add cheese and make a sauce so it's not Celiac friendly but the kids have had fries with their meals and my BFF who has Celiac's asked for and received fries with her BB meal, she was also given a rice option but she went with fries. Altho with all your other allergies maybe you can't have the oil that the fries are cooked in? We've had fries at RFC too but again, maybe it's the same issue? I don't know all your other allergies tho so like I said maybe there are other reasons you can't have the fries that we were offered. :) As for desserts, I totally agree with you! I wish they had more options for desserts, for those who are Celiac's or those who simply want to have something without the flour. I try to follow a South Beach type of "diet" but have troubles when they bring out those dessert trays. LOL

I would like to have more food options available, more sit down, more CS, just more choices. I would also love to see a revamp of the entirety of Tomorrowland, it's really showing it's wear and needs to be fixed up. I think my vote would be for rides.

So agree Kerri--when I was in WDW and went on the TTA I SO missed the People Mover. Tomorrowland just seems so disjointed to me==croweded, dirty and no cohesion.

I've gone for food / dining because it's the one thing that really sticks out in my mind.

When I look at the dining options in DLRP, there are 4 table service restaurants in the main park (Discoveryland (think tomorrowland for those who aren't familiar with DLRP) is the only land without a table service restuarant) and there are loads more in the resort (all 6 hotels have either 1 or 2 good restaurants plus there are quite a number in the Village (think DTD)).

When I look at the DLR menus, however, the one thing that sticks out is the abundance of counter service over table service, which is a shame as I really like taking the time out for an hour or so to have a really nice meal and it's nice to be able to vary that significantly without having to even leave the park or land you're in.

I voted for food, but rides would be a close second. I guess I just would like to have more different food choices. There is that whole upstairs area in TL where you wait in line for Space. They could do something there. And I wish they would redo the menu for the Hungry Bear. They could do some sort of BBQ there.

Absolutely Rides and Attractions, but with one comment on Parades.

1. Many of the ride-through attractions could deftly utilize new technology, lighting, audio and visuals without disturbing their themes. POTC was completed with incredible detail and after 40 years, it is still a gorgeous sight to behold. I think that many of the Fantasyland rides could be improved if they were given similar attention to details.

2. Tomorrowland. It's just...not 'tomorrow' anymore. Why not change it to Spaceland and build on that theme? They already have the Astro Orbiter, Buzz and Space Mountain rides. Keep going in that direction and add another E-ticket ride. I have to say, Buzz Lightyear was the best thing to happen in Tomorrowland in a LONG time. I love, love that ride! And yes, Innoventions is a massive waste of space.

3. Disneyland Electrical Parade. I love this so much...so so much. BUT. The majority of the floats are of characters from 20+ years ago. Mix in some new ones!!! Also, I'm so completely envious of DL Tokyo's Electrical Parade. IT. IS. GORGEOUS. I haven't seen CA's parade in a few years so I don't know if they overhauled it, but Tokyo's parade is to die for. BRING IT HERE!!!

I picked Parades. I was not impressed with the Celebrate Street Party. Too Tweenish, too cheap and just plain un-interesting. I am not normally a fan of parades anyways but was floored by the previous parade's quality, entertaininment and music on our trip in 07. The new one just seems like a step back instead of a step forward.

I voted Dining, especially in the parks.

I agree next on my list would to a Tomorrowland makeover!

I am used to trying to get something from chefs. I asked for any potato including fries but Blue Bayou could not come up with rice or fries. I ask about gluten free and add soy if I can get it soy free. I asked the manage at RFC for potatos and he told me the potatos and everything contained gluten. I did try so hard to ahve a regualr meal and three times I was given only garbage to eat, stuff that is not fit for man or beast as far as I am concerned.

I just want to have a normal meall like at Ariel's, Coke Corner, Taste Pilot's Gril and even the Plaza Inn. Oom mow mow made me a gluten free pizza with barbecued chicken. I feel that it can be done but Disneyland does not care about special diets like WDW and I so wish to go to WDW to eat and eat and eat without fighting to get a descent whole meal.

I am used to trying to get something from chefs. I asked for any potato including fries but Blue Bayou could not come up with rice or fries. I ask about gluten free and add soy if I can get it soy free. I asked the manage at RFC for potatos and he told me the potatos and everything contained gluten. I did try so hard to ahve a regualr meal and three times I was given only garbage to eat, stuff that is not fit for man or beast as far as I am concerned.

I just want to have a normal meall like at Ariel's, Coke Corner, Taste Pilot's Gril and even the Plaza Inn. Oom mow mow made me a gluten free pizza with barbecued chicken. I feel that it can be done but Disneyland does not care about special diets like WDW and I so wish to go to WDW to eat and eat and eat without fighting to get a descent whole meal.

That's just so weird Laurie because my BFF was able to get GF pasta and pizza, she got fries at BB and we had rice for her at RFC. We made sure the servers KNEW had Celiac's and they asked the Chef's and were told they could do gluten free and she had NO after effects from any of those meals. I wonder why they would do it for her and not for you. It just doesn't make any sense. Every place we went they cared greatly for her dietary needs, they made sure she had food she could eat. We had a few trips with them while we both had APs at the same time and every time we ate she mentioned her Celiac's and the CMs were all over getting her what she needed to eat. :confused3

I could dream a perfect dream about each of the categories....you know, if money were no object and the Imagineers cleared everything with ME before they made a move...:lmao:

But I voted for parades/shows. Just because I think DL is at a distinct disadvantage being so compact and limited when it comes to big open "spaces" for such things. For instance, I absolutely LOVE Fantasmic!, and my kids fell equally in love with it our last trip, but the standing and waiting for 45 minutes on cement with feet that had already walked many a mile about KILLED me. I am SO envious that in WDW they get to sit stadium-style. SIT. What a beautiful word....:lovestruc. Of course, I have no idea what a solution would be.....but I can dream!

I do also agree that much of Tomorrowland could use a make-over. Innovations is SUCH a waste of prime space, and HISTA is one of those things that when you've seen it once, that is enough. Plus of course the old People Mover tracks could either be utilized or removed.....Agreed all around, I presume?

I don't have too many complaints about the food - but no one in my family really has any dietary restrictions, so that makes a difference. We tend to eat breakfast out of the park, snack or grab a light counter-service lunch, and then sit down for dinner. I guess that once we've been back several times we'll get bored with our options, but having only been twice as a family we are still happy to try new things.

And we are lucky enough to have only had good experiences with CMs/characters/theming. Again, this might change with repeat visits. That is a risk I am TOTALLY willing to take ;):cool1::thumbsup2

The second thing on my list after food is rides for sure. Keel boats, motor boats, and other rides are gone but what replaced them. I would start with bulldozing everything on the north side and putting in a disabled accessible line and some fun stuff and a scary over the top ride. Bulldoze the people mover also and remove it. Revamp the astro orbiter with better theming and make the cars easier to get in and out of and one that is at least tranferable for wheelchairs.

Motor boats died when? Time to put them back in or something there. Fantasy Fair needs to be gone and put back the shows. They need one good show stage for the disabled, tired and kiddies. It was nice to get something to eat and plop there for a while.

But I voted for parades/shows. Just because I think DL is at a distinct disadvantage being so compact and limited when it comes to big open "spaces" for such things. For instance, I absolutely LOVE Fantasmic!, and my kids fell equally in love with it our last trip, but the standing and waiting for 45 minutes on cement with feet that had already walked many a mile about KILLED me. I am SO envious that in WDW they get to sit stadium-style. SIT. What a beautiful word....:lovestruc. Of course, I have no idea what a solution would be.....but I can dream!

Of course, WDW has had the benefit of time. F! was another DL original. So by the time they decided to do it in WDW, they already knew what kinks and bugs there were that had to be worked out from the experience of putting the show on at DL. And unfortunately, DL doesn't have room for expansion like WDW did. I don't think there's anything that can be done. Honestly, the only thing I liked better at WDW was the stadium seating at F! Otherwise the one at DL blows it away in every other aspect imo. The waiting around and standing is hard on your feet though. I'll give you that.
I like the size of DL just fine. The one thing I disliked about WDW was that I had to drive to each park, or take a bus or monorail. Sometimes you wait 45 minutes for a bus. And there's no show afterwards to appease you! :rotfl: I couldn't just walk into the park like at DL and park hop by walking across the esplanade. That's so cool. After having been to WDW and DL I really like that they have all these cool rides and attractions at 2 parks as opposed to having to visit 4 to see them all. The only rides/attractions we don't have at DL that I think would be really cool to have is Rockin Roller Coaster and Philharmagic. WDW has some cool shows though, compared to the slim pickings at DL. I love their music for Spectromagic. (Much more orchestrated and melodic.) The EP music grates on my nerves after about 5 minutes. :rolleyes1
WDW's Tarzan Rocks was an awesome show. I wish they would bring that to DL, but the flavor of the day has changed so that's probably why they did away with it at WDW. Maybe they should use Innoventions to put on a kicking show like Tarzan Rocks. They can build stadium seating inside, and the whole thing can rotate still & maybe have inner walls stay stationary but see through, and put stuff on outer walls that show some cool effects or something...
I wish they would build an entire Tokyo Disney Sea over here. That park rocks!
I voted for the food to be revamped at DL. WDW has so many other better choices at all their parks, but especially Epcot! OMG! Can we get a Le Cellier, or Japanese restaurant, or CS Chinese or, Cinderella's Royal Table @ MK (or whatever it's called) or, or...How about a dining plan like WDW? That would be awesome if they had the restaurants to go with it.

Attractions, bring back the peoplemover.
Dining, get some decent spots to eat. WDW crushes D Land when it comes to food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter