What rides are different

ok--In DL but not at WDW:
Matterhorn
Indiana Jones
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Storybookland Canal boats
Alice in Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon spin
Autopia (I guess it's similar to the Indy Speedway at MK, but considered better)

Considered better at DL:
Pirates of the Carribean
Space Mountain (well, a lot of us consider it better at DL anyway--it's smoother at DL and is a different track).

iceskatejen said:
ok--In DL but not at WDW:
Matterhorn
Indiana Jones
Pinocchio's Daring Journey
Storybookland Canal boats
Alice in Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon spin
Autopia (I guess it's similar to the Indy Speedway at MK, but considered better)

Considered better at DL:
Pirates of the Carribean
Space Mountain (well, a lot of us consider it better at DL anyway--it's smoother at DL and is a different track).

I agree with Pirates and Space mountain being better at DL. Space Mountain should be even better after the latest work on it for the 50 year celebration. I was reading about it last night. Also, I think Splash Mountain is better at DL. I like the ride boats better.

I think Mr. Toad's Wild Adventure can be added to the list above. I don't remember it being at WDW in November when we were there.

Also, many rides at California Adventure are different than WDW.

Don't forget the Canoes, i.e. the Davey Crockett Explorer Canoes.

Are we talking Disneyland specific or the entire resort.

In California Adventure you've got
Soarin' Over California (but Epcot's getting it soon)
California Screamin'
Maliboomer
Mulhulland Madness
Orange Stinger
Golden Zypher
Skywheel

In Disneyland (in addition to those already mentioned)
Saling ship Columbia

Similar but different (in addition)
Haunted Mansion
Tower of Terror
Splash Mountain (FYI to previous poster, the ride vehicles are changing at DL. Just saw them being tested this weekend)
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
It's a Small World
Gadget's Go Coaster (similar to Goofy's Barnstormer)
Winnie the Pooh

Splash Mountain (FYI to previous poster, the ride vehicles are changing at DL. Just saw them being tested this weekend)

Do you know how they are changing? Are they moving to 2 seats instead of singles?

chiefbrody said:

Do you know how they are changing? Are they moving to 2 seats instead of singles?

From the pictures I saw on miceage.com itr seems that the back seat will be for two people but the rest of the seats will be single.

They already changed the seats on the logs on Splash Mountain. They used to be two to a seat, six altogether, but now each seat has an individual back.

Here's some notes I have on the attractions. I probably need to update them, too.

<b>Attractions not at WDW, or that are different</b>:<br><br><b>DISNEYLAND</b><br><br><b>Main Street</b>:<br><br><u>Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln</u>: Walt Disney personally worked on this attraction, and he had a special interest in President Abe Lincoln. The Hall of Presidents is based on it, but this is still worth watching. It was recently refurbished, and uses a new technique with headphones that make the sounds seem like they are right next to you. This attraction is the first one you’ll see (besides the railroad) when you enter Main Street.<br><u>Railroad: </u> Although there is a railroad at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World, the one at Disneyland is different. It circles the park, and you can see the various lands. It also stops at New Orleans Square, Toontown/Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. After Tomorrowland, you’ll go through a diorama that shows the Grand Canyon and the Primeval World. It takes about 20 minutes to circle the park. It’s also a nice way to get from one land to another.<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Adventureland</b>: <br><br><u> Tiki Room</u> (has the original show)<br><u> The Jungle Cruise</u> (this is set up differently – kind of backwards from the one at WDW, and doesn’t have a temple)<br><u> Tarzan’s Treehouse </u> (used to be Swiss Family Robinson – worth a visit)<br><u> Indiana Jones</u> (the ride is almost identical to Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur @ Animal Kingdom; however, due to theming difference, this ride is far superior)<br><br> ºoº<br><b>New Orleans Square</b>: <br><br><u> Pirates of the Caribbean</u> – For one thing, this is set in a New Orleans setting instead of Adventureland, like @ WDW. The queue is better at WDW, but this ride is themed so much better at DL<br><u> Haunted Mansion</u> – this is also different at DL, although personally, I can’t say I like one better than the other – they are just “different” and it is worth riding.<br><br><i>Trivia about Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion:</i> Walt Disney wanted a place that would be set apart from the rest of the world, and with the limited options in the Anaheim area, he had a berm built around the park, and set the railroad on it, so the train goes around the park, stopping at various lands (Main Street, New Orleans Square, Toontown, and Tomorrowland). In the earlier years @ Disneyland, you could not see any of the city outside the walls, except for a couple of spots in the park. Well, when they built Pirates and Haunted Mansion, they needed to put the ride someplace, so they dug a tunnel under the berm, and put the rides outside of the park. So, when you go on Pirates of the Caribbean, and go down the two small drops, you are really going under the train berm and into the ride. In the Haunted Mansion, the stretching room, is really an elevator that takes you down and you go through the hallway (tunnel) to the actual attraction. You’ll notice that both attractions take you back up to street level at the end.<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Critter Country</b>: <br><br><u> Splash Mountain </u>– this attraction is pretty different than the one @ WDW, and the seats are different in the log. You sit in single file, and each seat has a backrest. I don’t know if one is “better” than the other – they are just different.<br><u> Davy Crockett Canoes </u>– they don’t have canoes @ WDW. These are fun to do – everyone has to paddle, but watch out – the person in front of you just might accidentally splash you as you go around Tom Sawyer’s Island.<br><u> The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh </u>– This is a brand new dark ride, and is different than the one at the WDW Magic Kingdom<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Frontierland</b>:<br><br><u> Tom Sawyers Island </u>– I think this is different, although I am not sure.<br><u> Thunder Mountain Railroad </u> is basically the same, but the track runs in the opposite direction (from what I’ve been told).<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Fantasyland</b><br><br>Almost all of the attractions are different here. The ones I am not sure about are Snow White’s Scary Adventures and Pinocchio. <br><br><u> Peter Pan </u>– different and charming. <br><u> Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride </u>– no longer have it at WDW. <br><u> King Arthur’s Carousel </u>– it’s been recently refurbished. When you see it, look for Jingles, the lead horse. You can tell who Jingles is by the bells hanging ‘round the neck. <br><u> It’s a Small World </u>– this ride is very different than the one at WDW, and it’s the original. Try to time it so that you’re in front of the attraction at a quarter of hour ( :00, :15, :30, :45) for a little clock show. <br><br> ºoº<br><I>These are unique to Disneyland: </I><br><br><u> Alice in Wonderland </u>– a dark ride like Peter Pan, with a nice ending as your caterpillar rides down the leaves when you leave<br><u> Matterhorn </u>– first steel coaster built – it’s just a tad rocky. You sit two to a seat in tandem style, and four to a bobsled. There are two sides – the Fantasyland side is a little smoother, and the Tomorrowland side is faster. This is one of my favorites to ride at night<br><u> Storybook Land Canal Boats </u>– you ride in a boat outside and go through Monstro the whale’s mouth to tour miniature villages of Disney characters (very charming attraction)<br><u> Casey Jr Circus Train </u> - (as you go up the hill, try & see if you can hear him say “I think I can”) wields its way around the same area that the Storybook Land Canal Boats go on – this is a fun ride. Here’s something only a few know…During the Believe fireworks show, Tinkerbell flies from the Matterhorn mountain past the castle. When you are on Casey Jr, you can follow the cable with your eyes, and see the treehouse where she actually lands. It’s hidden in the trees in Frontierland.<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Toontown</b><br><br>This whole land is nicely set up. It gets crowded during the day, and closes in preparation for the fireworks, so time it right when you visit. Early morning or late at night are best. <br><br><u> Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin </u>– this is a dark ride like Mr. Toad, except you get to spin your car round and round.<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Tomorrowland</b><br><br><u> Space Mountain </u>: I like the one @ DL much better – you sit side by side in the cars, and if you’re lucky, you’ll get a car that has the music – makes the ride very exciting.<br><u> Autopia </u>: This whole ride was redone in 2000, and the track is fun to drive – you even get to go “off-roading” – I definitely recommend this one, too. Even the adults should enjoy it.<br><br>(Star Tours is exactly like the one at MGM Studios, and so is Honey I Shrank the Audience)<br><br>*****<br><br><b>DISNEY’S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE</b><br><br><b>Golden State</b><br><br><u> Soarin’ Over California </u>– There is no other attraction like this one. You ride in a simulated hand glider over scenes of California landscape while listening to music – very nice. If you need motion sickness medicine, then take it for this attraction because you won’t want to miss it<br><u> Grizzly River Run </u> – Similar to Kali River Rapids, but much better. This attraction takes place in the prominent Grizzly Bear Mountain.<br.<u> Redwood Creek Challenge Trail </u>– Similar, yet different, to the areas where children can run around, go down slides, climb ladders, etc. There is also a storytelling amphitheater here, where you can listen to original Native American stories.<br><u> Tortilla Factory & Boudin Bakery tours</u><br><br> ºoº<br><b>Paradise Pier</b><br><br><u> California Screamin’ </u>– This loop rollercoaster is very different from Rockin’ Rollercoaster. It’s smoother, and has only one loop, plus it is outside.<br><u> Golden Dreams </u>– Film telling the dreams and sacrifices of the early settlers of California – worth seeing<br>Various “boardwalk type rides”: <u> Maliboomer, Mulholland Madness, Orange Stinger, Sun Wheel, etc. </u><br><br> ºoº<br><b>A Bug’s Land</b><br><br>Various kiddie rides<br><br> ºoº<br><b>Hollywood Pictures Backlot</b><br><br><u> Animation Station </u>– Different than the one at WDW, and includes an interactive area that is fun to visit<br><u> Hyperion Theater </u>– Aladdin the Musical – This show is unique to DCA, and well worth seeing.<br><u>Tower of Terror</u> - The WDW version is more extensive in that you go across the building in the Twilight Zone. They couldn’t build the same thing at California Adventure, so you immediately enter the Twilight Zone as soon as the elevator doors close. There are some different special effects that give this ride a different experience than the one at Walt Disney World.<br><br>The rest of the attractions are identical, or extremely similar to the attractions at Walt Disney World.<br><br>*****<br><br>

Mary Jo said:
It’s a Small World clock show.

Was that ever at Disney World? IASW was not open when we were there, so it's been 5 years since we saw that one. LOVED the one at Disneyland! But didn't get a chance to take pictures of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter