• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Seemingly insignificant event changed the course of your life?

I was super unhappy at my job, I was in retail management salary, I had a little girl to take care of and the money was good so I stayed, then we had a meeting that all management positions would only be allow 1 weekend off a month, then either a Saturday or Sunday once a month, and we would have to work 2 long days every week from open to close so basically 6 days a weeks going forward and no pay or benefit increase... and had a contract for us to sign..... I just would not do it... I was not going to be away from my daughter anymore than I already was... So for over a month I did not sign the contract, I was looking for another job, One day they call us each into the office to strong arm us into signing, and I said no I am not going to sign it... well then you don't have a job... I was like okay... got up cleaned out my locker... The next day I had a interview, and got the job on the spot, office work... making the same money working less hours, with better benefits....Little did I know that the true love of my life was working there too... married 15 years, been together almost 18 years...

Funny how life sends you down the path you need to go on...even if you don't realize it at the time...

I was 23 and dated the "bad boys". Events happened that caused me to believe I was worthless and undeserving of happiness, and I was sure my life was going to be spent in misery. Then I was fired because I was mad at the world, irritable, and got in an argument with my boss over historical events (I know history, he didn't, but at 23, I could not back down!).

A few days later I found a new job. I was still sure I was doomed to a life of misery with the "bad boy" that caused me much grief. Then I became friends with a coworker. We casually started dating. I still wanted "the bad boy", because if nothing else, life was exciting with him!

There was a bad snowstorm, but work said I had to go in. My coworker knew I hated driving in snow, in fact I feared it. We worked half way between each other, and he drove, on his day off, early in the morning, a normal 45 minute drive that took longer in the storm, to pick me up, take me to work, drive back to his home, then pick me up after work to take me home. I thanked him and let him drive back to his house, in bad weather, because I just felt he was too nice and not what I wanted to date.

My Father told me I was stupid to not see what was before me, and this was the guy I should be dating and marry.

I listened, for my Father was a very wise man, figured I had nothing to lose and nowhere to go, and sure enough, a month later this nice coworker and I were engaged and 6 months later married. We have been together 32 years and married almost 31.

Looking back, many events led me to that job and meeting my husband, but if it wasn't for that snowstorm, I don't think I would have ever chosen the very nice coworker as my husband. I still detest winter, fear driving in snow, but am grateful for that one storm.

When I was 17, we had a big snow storm. My friend came to my house and we made plans to go sledding. She called her boyfriend and he came to my house with his sister and a guy he worked with who had been out with his sister (my friend’s friend) a time or two. A few weeks later the friend called me and asked me out. I asked my friend if the other girl minded. She said no they didn’t hit it off. Anyway we went out. We’ve been together 37 years and married almost 36.

Also, they came to my house in DH’s dad’s 1968 Chevy truck. That truck is under a carport at our house and it belongs to DS now. I wouldn’t take a mint for that truck! I’m hoping DS & his fiancée will use the truck as a prop for pictures at their wedding in May. See pic below. Sorry it's so big. I don't know how to shrink it!

18738784_10203203030873132_4196210998803136351_o.jpg

Last edited:
One year while planning a Disney vacation, I was looking for spots on an Illuminations Cruise boat. I found someone here who had one spot, but I needed 2. I told her to keep me in mind if the existing plans fell through. Sure enough, they did, DD and I got space on the Cruise, and the rest is history! Here we are, 15 years later, still BFFs. I have seen her IRL maybe 6 times, but we email/message at least weekly. In fact, it's Sunday morning... time to send my weekly email!!

Reading a trip report on here that led me to two very dear friends.

But the biggest thing was overhearing my college roommate tell our other roommate that I should kill myself. It led me to leave campus every chance I got to be away from them. So many things in my life would not have happened if not for that moment.

That’s awful! I’m so sorry, but at least you learned what terrible people they were.

Being bored on a Saturday night and finally agreeing to go out with the guy that had asked me out almost everyday for 6 months even though he didn’t fit my “type” one bit. We’ve been together for almost 12 years and married for 9 and every day still feels like a dream.

Didn’t change it in any real HUGE manner but . . .

One evening at work I went to check if anyone else was still in the building and found someone was. He & I got to talking and he asked me out. We casually dated off & on for the next couple years. That ended when we both lost our jobs. I actually still see him on occasion and we are friendly but that part of our relationship is over.

But because of the end of that relationship I started hanging out with the guy I’m currently seeing.

I was out with friends at a bar and we decided we wanted to go to a different one since the one we were at was small and not alot of people were there.
They would not let me in with my fake ID so we went back to the original one which had filled up with a few more people, one of them being my dh. If I had gotten in to the other one I would have never met him.

I was finishing up my fourth year as a psychology major and wondering what my next steps were going to be. My advisors at school were sort of negative about job prospects and so I'd even started taking graduate courses while still an undergraduate to put some feelers out. When one day a woman I knew mentioned she'd read an article in the local paper that they were thinking of starting a program in Nursing at my school. They never did, but it piqued my interest enough that I immediately changed schools and got my degree in Nursing instead, and that decision was one of the best I ever made. I also indirectly met my husband through a person I had a brief friendship with who had casually dated a guy. Through that guy, I found a job at the same place he worked, and later met my DH there.

Saying yes to walking to the park and playing catch with a softball with my sister when I really just wanted to stay inside. We were visiting our mother for Spring Break, I was 13, a month away from turning 14, and 2 months away from graduating 8th grade.

I met my future husband and BIL's that day :)

Almost 29 years have passed since that day. Three kids, and going on 21 years of marriage this July!

I was out with friends at a bar and we decided we wanted to go to a different one since the one we were at was small and not alot of people were there.
They would not let me in with my fake ID so we went back to the original one which had filled up with a few more people, one of them being my dh. If I had gotten in to the other one I would have never met him.

Ha, my sister has a similar story!

It was one of my sisters' bachelorette party. We were turned down at the first bar because our youngest sister was only 20 - even though we said we were just going in to eat. They said nope-21 and older after 6pm and it was 6:30. We went to a 2nd, less "strict" bar lol, made sure she was in the back of our group, flirted with the bouncers for a little while so they let us all in without checking everyone's ID's, and she ended up meeting her future husband there! They've been married for almost 10 years now!

I was wavering between 2 colleges and picked one. A friend I met at college introduced me to a guy that I really didn't like. He seemed a bit uncomfortable and not really my type. She was kind of dating him at the time but decided to go back to her old boyfriend. I left the college to go to school at home. My friend called me a year and a half later and asked if I wanted to go out on a date with this guy. I figured, why not. The worst that could happen is one date and that's it. On Friday we will celebrate 44 years since our first date and and we have been married 42 years. We now have 2 DSs, 2 DDILs, and 4 grandchildren with one on the way. Sure glad I decided to take a chance.

In early 1999 I'd had enough of my on-again-off-again boyfriend and made the decision to intentionally seek out someone new. Top on my list of potentials was a guy I knew named Scott. We were on the same college club-sport together. In furtherance of my plan, I jumped into the same van with him for a trip to an away meet. The only other occupant of the van (there was a LOT of equipment), was a guy named Robert. Both Scott and Robert, it turned out, had recently broken up with their girlfriends. Robert was a bit bitter about his situation, and complained about how he didn't think he would ever find real love. In a flash of trying to be a supportive friend, and to make Scott subtly aware of my availability, I asserted that I would be happy to date either of them! Some time later in the trip, I realized that this was, in fact, a true statement. I thought Robert was kind of cool, too.

I married Robert 4 years later. Scott was our best man, and is still our best guy friend.

Applied and got hired for a job at a grocery store my first year of college in 1991. Ending up meeting my best friend and her friends. Outside of my immediate family, these people are still the most dear to me to this day.

Offhand, all I can think of is that on a cold day in WDW, with nothing else I wanted to do, I decided to take the DVC tour. There I learned about this resort Disney owned at Hilton Head, joined DVC, and said to DH "Hey, maybe we ought to go there sometime" That's led to 13 trips (so far). Unfortunately, I can't think of anything related to "how I met DH' right now-maybe I'm too tired.
I can only think of my Disney story too. Mine is in 2003, with 3 little little kiddos, DH wanted to go to WDW. I did NOT. But I relented and we stayed off site and ate off site. I loved it so much we went again in 2005, but stayed on site and got DP. We loved that trip so much more that DH came home and began reading forums and learned about DVC. I had just come into an inheritance so...yup, you guessed it...we bought DVC. Now I am the one on the forums and totally in love and addicted to my DVC.

Another one is just a silly guess that this changed our lives. When DS was about 16 months old we started trying for #2. A month later I was carrying DS down the stairs when I slipped and fell. I hurt my back, went to DR and was given Vicodin. I told DR I may be very newly pregnant (like just a couple days prior to that was when we did the deed) so she did blood test and said not to take any meds until results came in. Then she called me and said it was negative so I could take the meds. I took for just 2 days but it turned out that I was pregnant (must have been too new to show up on blood test). Then I go for my first OB visit and they do ultrasound thing and....I see #2 AND #3 (identical twins). We always say, kinda joking, that it was the vicodin that split the egg. Maybe it was or maybe the fall down the steps as I went down on my bottom. Or probably just a coincidence.

Deciding to apply for a job at a local bank after finishing college. Accepted the job and met my DH .

I reported back to work from military service my wife 1st day of. we bumped into each other in HR. That was 52 years ago. I kid that she knocked me off my feet and stood over me and said "that's to let you know who will be boss" She was right. I have a sore butt and she has a sore foot.

I was completing a form re choice of residential area, in advance of my freshman year at college. I had already checked one area when I erased it and selected another. Future DH lived in the next dorm. I don't believe we would have met if I had lived on the other side of campus. We had been married for 39 years when he died 7 years ago.

I was going to go into the Military as an Officer because I graduated with a BS in Engineering. Met with the recruiting officer, did the physical, but I was offered a job in the private sector and decided to take that. About a year later, I met my future wife whom I probably would never have met if I joined the military.

A lot of these are how you met your spouses so...DH had to break his head open and his sister had to have a house fire for us to get together!

He was working in a welding shop an hour away from me, had a head injury there that ended up with him losing his job. Meanwhile, his sister's rental house in my area had burned down so she bought an unfinished house. She invited him to come live with her for a fresh start and to help finish the construction. That house was next door to my friend who would shoot hoops with him in the driveway, and his new job was with her boyfriend, so they each worked on us to get together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter