What should I do with an old quilt?

pampam

DIS Veteran
It is a "Martha's Vineyard" pattern, applique queen sized quilt my mother (now deceased) made me almost 50 years ago. Each grape is stuffed so it rises above the rest of the quilt. It is stuffed with cotton batten, not polyfill. There was some wear along the top, that my mother repaired but now a few of the grapes are showing signs of wear, not too badly, but the quilt is damaged. Should I see about getting it fixed or just toss it. I realize it is not a true antique. It doesn't have a lot of sentimental value for me today, but I'd hate to toss it if it was valuable.

Check in with your local quilter's clubs. Ask at any fabric shop if they have quilter lessons. There would be someone in there that can look at it and determine if it can be salvaged. Since you don't have too much sentimental attachment, you may want to donate it to them and they can use it in quilt shows. Seeing techniques from years gone by is always popular to the younger quilters.

I have a Grandmother's Flower Garden that DH great grandmother pieced together. It was just a topper and it was unfinished and had damage from motor oil...my mom found a lady from a quilt shop who matched the fabrics out of vintage scraps, layered it and quilted it. Cost for all that was $400. But the hours spent came out to about $4 an hour. She did the work for the love of quilting.

Good luck!

You could have it framed and hung on a wall to remember her by. It also saves the quilt from more wear and tare. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter