What sounds do you commonly hear coming from outside your home?

Its pretty quiet around here. The only constant "noise" is from the ravens that live in a tree in our backyard and they are pretty quiet unless other birds are around, then they squack and chase them. Our dogs and the neighbors dogs only really bark if something is going on to alert them but like i said its pretty quiet here and I love it.

The sound of a late 1990's or early 2000's Dodge Cumming's Diesel pickup starting up and leaving, or returning. There is a rental house across the street and one house down, and the last three tenants all have had white heavy duty 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge Diesel Cummings pickups with standard exhaust. The new diesels are SOOOOOOOOOOO much quieter. But after about 15 years I'm kind of used to it.
I know on the NextDoor page and Neighborhood Facebook page there are a lot of new residents complaining this time of year about planes flying over head. We are 6 miles from a former Air Force base that is now where they keep the Wildfire firefighting planes. A three or four an hour fly over if there is a big fire nearby. Mind you, we have another former Air Force base 6 miles the other direction that is a FedEx hub now. These folks clearly did not live here when both bases were open during the peak of the Vietnam War when you had a plane flying over your house every 90 seconds from 6 am until 4 pm. And yes, as a kid we used to time the interval between planes. THERE IS NO AIRCRAFT NOISE HERE ANYMORE!

The sound of a late 1990's or early 2000's Dodge Cumming's Diesel pickup starting up and leaving, or returning. There is a rental house across the street and one house down, and the last three tenants all have had white heavy duty 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge Diesel Cummings pickups with standard exhaust. The new diesels are SOOOOOOOOOOO much quieter. But after about 15 years I'm kind of used to it.
I know on the NextDoor page and Neighborhood Facebook page there are a lot of new residents complaining this time of year about planes flying over head. We are 6 miles from a former Air Force base that is now where they keep the Wildfire firefighting planes. A three or four an hour fly over if there is a big fire nearby. Mind you, we have another former Air Force base 6 miles the other direction that is a FedEx hub now. These folks clearly did not live here when both bases were open during the peak of the Vietnam War when you had a plane flying over your house every 90 seconds from 6 am until 4 pm. And yes, as a kid we used to time the interval between planes. THERE IS NO AIRCRAFT NOISE HERE ANYMORE!

OMG they think there is airplane noise? I lived in RL and had those big green low flying planes that haul tanks fly low over my house as we were on the flight path of training. Kind of miss it actually. Right now we have the medi helicopter that lands at the hospital a couple miles a way. We are also in the flight path for the water tank planes from Mather going toward the NE. We live on a pretty quiet street so no street noise but off in the distance you can hear trains as the main train yard is 10 miles away. (in 74/75?) they had bombs on the trains that blew up as I was a senior in high school then). The wierd noise is at 10pm almost every night, there is a huge bang that rattles houses. No one, including the sheriff's department can figure out what it is. Some people's rings have recorded flashes but it's not fireworks. Now it seems to be happening in Europe in some areas at 10pm Just wierd

Birds
Lawn mowers in the summer
Occasional barking dogs
The train multiple times throughout the day and night

Coyotes, especially when they have pups
We have a ton of black walnut trees so we hear them dropping walnuts during summer
Gunshots during hunting season
Tractors and other various farm equipment during planting/harvest
Birds all the time
The neighbor kid's annoying 4-wheeler and dirt bike when he decides to come tearing through

OMG they think there is airplane noise? I lived in RL and had those big green low flying planes that haul tanks fly low over my house as we were on the flight path of training. Kind of miss it actually. Right now we have the medi helicopter that lands at the hospital a couple miles a way. We are also in the flight path for the water tank planes from Mather going toward the NE. We live on a pretty quiet street so no street noise but off in the distance you can hear trains as the main train yard is 10 miles away. (in 74/75?) they had bombs on the trains that blew up as I was a senior in high school then). The wierd noise is at 10pm almost every night, there is a huge bang that rattles houses. No one, including the sheriff's department can figure out what it is. Some people's rings have recorded flashes but it's not fireworks. Now it seems to be happening in Europe in some areas at 10pm Just wierd
April 29, 1973 for the Roseville Railyard explosion. I remember it will, I lived at Fair Oaks Boulevard and Watt and it woke me up. I'm about 8 miles from the railyards now in Carmichael, and when I go out to move my car at 3 am to let my wife get her car out of the garage I can hear the trains in the quiet of the night.
The big complaint in my area is the "mysterious" bangs at 4 am on Thursday mornings during the school year. No mystery, that's when they dump the dumpsters at the schools in the area. Garbage trucks and kids are not a safe combination so they dump the dumpsters before school. Before the pandemic I was on the road to be at work at 3 am. Nothing but drunks, cops and garbage trucks on the road that time of day.

From January until July, a lot of cows mooing every night. We're out in a swamp area, so every evening there is the sound of thousands of insects that would like to chew on you if you lingered outside. But also the giant croaking of tiny frogs, it sounds like they're singing to the stars that fill the dark out here. I would probably go crazy in a neighborhood with car noises.

Oh WAIT! I posted upthread that it was dogs I heard. There is also something else....I live near Oceana Air Base. JETS!! But I only hear the jets fly over when I am either trying to talk on the phone, take a nap ( I work nights) or watch a movie. They always do their night flying on the nights I decide to have a movie night.

Horses whinnying...

Crickets/cicadas...

My idiot blue tick baying...

At certain times of year the combine or tractor in the field next door or across the street...

In the summer? A chorus of lawnmowers! Crickets and cicadas, birds. A rooster in the morning and evening. The rooster is year-round, and we hear the cows getting busy in the late winter/early spring time. I used to live on a farm, not too far from where I currently live but the sounds were very different. At night we could open the windows and hear coyotes, that was pretty cool. The frogs in the pond. And foxes, they make a creepy screaming noise.

Barking dogs, various animals, cars passing (with or without music), sirens, the train, sounds from the nearby Walmart.

There's a graveyard nearby but it's always quiet.

FOR NOW....!
405030ac16c62aff69e09f534717c26d.gif

Have you ever heard a fox scream? We are surrounded by woods and at night we can hear the foxes scream. The first time we heard it we thought someone we being killed.

Are you sure it’s a fox? Fisher cats sound like they’re screaming.

We hear lawn mowers, cars, lots of cars, my neighbors dump truck and his goat. Turkeys are frequent visitors. We are backed by a large pine forest so on really windy days we often hear large limbs or trees falling. Although personal fireworks are forbidden we sometimes hear displays at a nearby function.

Are you sure it’s a fox? Fisher cats sound like they’re screaming.

We hear lawn mowers, cars, lots of cars, my neighbors dump truck and his goat. Turkeys are frequent visitors. We are backed by a large pine forest so on really windy days we often hear large limbs or trees falling. Although personal fireworks are forbidden we sometimes hear displays at a nearby function.
Yep. The fox lives down the bottom of hill and has kits almost every spring. The love to come around during the night and play in the yard. Our motion light goes on and the play like puppies. Sometimes I’ll be sitting on the front porch after dinner and one will walk up and after he notices I’m there he will scream and run away.

Have you ever heard a fox scream? We are surrounded by woods and at night we can hear the foxes scream. The first time we heard it we thought someone we being killed.

They really are terrifying to hear, and once you've heard that sound while camping deep in the woods, you can't sleep the rest of the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter