What they've taken away

Then again - many of these minuses will come back.

Yes this! I know things aren't the way they used to be right now, and it stinks. But I really do believe that things like character meet-and-greets, parades, entertainment, more normal Mousekeeping (etc, etc) will come back. Do I think that Disney is stretching the excuse of not being able to offer some of these things "due to COVID"? Yeah, probably. Do I hate it when they insult their base by framing cuts as a way to "enhance guest experience"? Yes, definitely. But at the same time, I think it's important to take a beat and recognize that this pandemic has had far and wide-reaching multi-faceted economic impacts, not the least of which involves staffing. We are seeing this everywhere right now from the shipping to the restaurant to the entertainment industry, and that includes Disney. Part of what's changed definitely is a result of Disney using the shutdown as an opportunity to make adjustments they'd been wanting to make for years. Absolutely. But I strongly believe that much of this is temporary. The world ground to a halt last year for a significant amount of time (in some places, longer than others). It's going to take some time to fully recover.

First, I want to say we've enjoyed over 50 trips to Disney World through the years ranging from long weekends to two week trips prior to 2019. December 2018 was our last trip. We are not locals. We have taken our children and grandchildren through the years. We have been with other relatives and friends, as well. I considered myself well rounded when it came to visiting Disney World. I made it easy for those who joined us. We were planning a 2022 trip with our great grandchildren, pre Covid. They've been there once but I wanted them to go during the 50th anniversary celebration. I wanted them to experience Disney as it was pre-Covid. Now, we are not going.

I'm especially disappointed in the lack of street entertainment, shows, parades and fireworks, now. I think I could work around most of the other cutbacks but not this part. I honestly feel if I went now I would be crying most of the time for all that is missing.

The Disney World higher prices don't help, either. I'm afraid Disney is becoming elitist. It did require sacrifice to save for a trip there in the past but now it's just not making sense to me anymore to go. Over the last ten years we have concentrated on Silver Dollar City and Dollywood more so. We went during festivals; so, the entertainment was plentiful. You got value for what you paid for. I went to Disneyland for their 50th anniversary and it was on my bucket list to go for the 50th to Disney World. I just don't see my family going now.

In the end I believe Disney will lose in the game they are playing right now. Many will find other ways to spend their time on vacation and they will never look back. There is pent in demand right now; so, Disney is riding the bubble but the bubble will burst.
Well said and I 100% agree...so very sad for my once beloved Disney.

Covid may have started the ball rolling, but I can't help but think many of things were waiting for a reason to make the cuts. Covid is a great excuse to change stuff, not just at Disney but that's another issue. Pay to park at the resorts started before the Rona is an example that comes to mind.
My end came in 2012 but had been coming before that. That was the point where the nostalgia no longer overpowered reality. I won't go into everything that ended the love of Disney but it was the preponderance of things, not just one.
I came back in 2018 and discovered Fort Wilderness. You could enjoy a stay on property without ever going to the parks. Now, they have removed a lot of the fun from the Fort as well. Lots of other places to go and see that doesn't require an upcharge every time you turn around. Finally, When I go on vacation I want to relax, not start planning six months in advance and need a smartphone the entire time you're there.
Precisely - using Covid as cover to make these cuts....

I think some of these things will come back, including Fantasmic and street performers and the dining plan. I also agree with another poster who said it would be interesting to make a list of the things they've added--not only new lands, but things like mobile order--which we love to use instead of those hectic quick service lines, pop up Characters not only at the parks but at the resorts, digital interactive components, and yes even the Genie, it is yet to be seen how useful or valuable the free version will be.
The missing shows and character meets sting me the worst and I hope they return soon.

My first visit was in 2008. It seems difficult to believe that was the same WDW. Who today visiting for first time would believe there used to be daytime parades not only in MK but also AK and DHS. There was even a nighttime parade in MK! Can you believe that???!

Also, there was once a nighttime entertainment district including an incredible immersive themed club called The Adventurers Club, owned and ran by actual Disney CMs with free entry!! Can you believe it? I’m not sure if I dreamt it.

Speaking of dreams… anyone remember “year of a million dreams” where CMs would randomly surprise guests with granting dreams/wishes (without having to pay an extra subscription) in a completely magical way?!

Last edited:
I think some of these things will come back, including Fantasmic and street performers and the dining plan. I also agree with another poster who said it would be interesting to make a list of the things they've added--not only new lands, but things like mobile order--which we love to use instead of those hectic quick service lines, pop up Characters not only at the parks but at the resorts, digital interactive components, and yes even the Genie, it is yet to be seen how useful or valuable the free version will be.
The missing shows and character meets sting me the worst and I hope they return soon.
I hope you're right, but I fear the Citizens of Hollywood, who were easily my favorite of the street performers, are a thing of the past. No reason not to have brought them back at this point. Many of the actors also do things like Frozen Ever After, Hoop-Dee-Doo, and the Halloween party (Haunted Mansion characters, pirates on Pirates of the Caribbean) and were called back for those roles, but nothing about Citizens of Hollywood. I hope I'm wrong.
My first visit was in 2008. It seems difficult to believe that was the same WDW. Who today visiting for first time would believe there used to be daytime parades not only in MK but also AK and DHS. There was even a nighttime parade in MK! Can you believe that???!

Also, there was once a nighttime entertainment district including an incredible immersive themed club called The Adventurers Club, owned and ran by actual Disney CMs with free entry!! Can you believe it? I’m not sure if I dreamt it.

Speaking of dreams… anyone remember “year of a million dreams” where CMs would randomly surprise guests with granting dreams/wishes (without having to pay an extra subscription) in a completely magical way?!
KUNGALOOSH!!!

I do think you just completed the list of things they've added, although I wouldn't count Genie as a "plus". I am hoping the magic will return....and hoop de doo review :)

Precisely - using Covid as cover to make these cuts....
Unfortunately, some of the cuts were not necessary with covid - can't give a free wand and sword at CRT, but can serve food. Only one princess at a distance, not a few, rotating. Things like that make me think they made some changes using covid as a cover to make some cuts. OK, I'm done with negative thoughts, I'm gonna hope they bring back the magic and all the little things we love about Disney.

Have been going to WDW annually since the 80s. There is too much to count regarding what they have taken away. But the beauty of Disney has always been that they replaced it with something different or better. Or they would point you in another direction and you would be wow’ed by another offering. You could always find ways to justify spending your money as their was “magic” at every corner. Whether it was a special event, the electrical light parade, a cast member making your day, having that souvenir from AK waiting for you at your hotel when you got back, character meets, the list goes on.

Take one thing away, replace it with another or point us in a different direction where we won’t feel the loss. That strategy, at its core (which is pretty much hospitality 101, but Disney applied that measure on steroids for their guests). That isn’t happening anymore with Disney. The things they take away, they don’t seem to replace or have anything better to point you to anymore. Genie+ is just a prime example of them taking something away that was once free and now charging for it, which is a seperate list then the list of things they’ve taken away, but a growing list nonetheless and our biggest gripe with Disney. You just keep spending more and more for less and less year over year now and it’s a real shame. They need to right this ship and expel the “number crunchers” that are acting like a bull in a china shop where Disney management is concerned.

Have been going to WDW annually since the 80s. There is too much to count regarding what they have taken away. But the beauty of Disney has always been that they replaced it with something different or better. Or they would point you in another direction and you would be wow’ed by another offering. You could always find ways to justify spending your money as their was “magic” at every corner. Whether it was a special event, the electrical light parade, a cast member making your day, having that souvenir from AK waiting for you at your hotel when you got back, character meets, the list goes on.

Take one thing away, replace it with another or point us in a different direction where we won’t feel the loss. That strategy, at its core (which is pretty much hospitality 101, but Disney applied that measure on steroids for their guests). That isn’t happening anymore with Disney. The things they take away, they don’t seem to replace or have anything better to point you to anymore. Genie+ is just a prime example of them taking something away that was once free and now charging for it, which is a seperate list then the list of things they’ve taken away, but a growing list nonetheless and our biggest gripe with Disney. You just keep spending more and more for less and less year over year now and it’s a real shame. They need to right this ship and expel the “number crunchers” that are acting like a bull in a china shop where Disney management is concerned.
You hit the nail on the head. It's just sad to see, and then to hear so many justifying it. One thing I can't seem to understand is discontinuing Magical Express and then charging for parking.

If you have HDDR listed, you can add Spirit of Aloha and Mickey Backyard BBQ (taken away about 2 years ago).

Menus from the restaurants
Stores on Main St USA (not sure which ones, but noticed a bunch of lights out the other night. The Chapeau and Main St Confectionary were 2.
The monorail for Polynesian Resort guests
Disney "charm" in the resort rooms

And my biggest "take-away" notice last week.....friendly, helpful CMs :) Some are just downright rude!

You can go back in time just a bit and see other stuff they've dumped in Cost-Cutting moves. True fan-favorites:

Off Kilter (Canada)
World Showcase Players (UK)
Four 4 a Dollar (Pre-show Beauty and the Beast)

I'm with you. Years of taking things away. Years of prices going up far beyond inflation. I know why. People go there no matter what. But I think Jafar+ has finally pushed us all to where we realized we're being ripped. It was a good dream, but thank God someone threw some water on us to wake us up from what turns out to be a nightmare.

How about daily specials in Epcot restaurants - back before the DDP ruined the food options (IMO) the various restaurant's were somewhat independent and even had daily specials - the prices were also much more reasonable - those not on the DDP did not have to subsidize though that were.
One of the best fish dishes I ever had was in Epcot - they had a special of Fire Roasted Piranha - I think that's the Nemo restaurant now. I still remember how good that was.

Even the first year or so of the DDP was still good - they they started to standardize and it went downhill from there.

Proper hot dog rolls - we are adults give us the option. (its been a few years - I assume this has not been fixed)

You can go back in time just a bit and see other stuff they've dumped in Cost-Cutting moves. True fan-favorites:

Off Kilter (Canada)
World Showcase Players (UK)
Four 4 a Dollar (Pre-show Beauty and the Beast)

I'm with you. Years of taking things away. Years of prices going up far beyond inflation. I know why. People go there no matter what. But I think Jafar+ has finally pushed us all to where we realized we're being ripped. It was a good dream, but thank God someone threw some water on us to wake us up from what turns out to be a nightmare.
Yep!

In the entertainment business, you need to keep your product "fresh" by adding things, improving things, refreshing things. Disney used to do that. Now, even with the things they have added, they have taken so much away and have not even come close to replacing it. As many of us can see, the almighty $ is driving much of the changes. Many will argue that most, if not all, of the recent changes are not for the better of anyone but Disney. The only consistent thing is prices continuing to rise while offerings diminish. Our last trip was in 2017 and I am glad we did it. That is before the wheels fell off of the Disney enterprise and I know that I'll not be going back any time soon. Too many other places to enjoy and explore for same or less $$. We even entertained a beach/Universal trip. That would not have come out of our mouths since we started going to Disney in the early 2000's and after 15ish trips, we are pretty much done. WWWT? (What Would Walt Think) ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter