What time do you start your day?

7-ish. I like to be at my computer (working from home) by around 8 and I do shower and shave each morning before work.

Weekends depend, but most weekends we usually go to a morning workout class, so many days we're up by 7:30 or so.

Past 12 years before the pandemic, alarm goes off at 2 am, sitting down at my desk at work at 3 am.
Since March 20 I have been working from home, alarm goes off at 2:45 am, logging in to work remotely at 3 am.

My wife has lost her ability to sleep in. On weekends she is ready to get up after 8 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep, so bed time dictates when she gets up. I can sleep 11 to 12 hours no problem
Yes, this is an actual thing. I find I can only actually lay there so long and then I just have to get up and around. Going to bed early to catch up on sleep really doesn't work out.
With my chronic insomnia, it depends. Some days I am by by 3 am and stay awake and work my regular shift of 1-9 and then collapse into bed where I toss and turn til about midnight then rinse and repeat.

Other times, like now, I am able to sleep until about 10-11. I really, really like the hours that I work because I am not a morning person at all.
:flower3: I didn't know whether to give you the sad face or the like on this one. I'm sorry for anybody who struggles to sleep - it can have an awful effect on morale, but it's good that your schedule accommodates it.
The start of my day is generally determined by when our son wakes up. He is usually up sometime between 5:00 and 7:00 but usually towards the early end and when he is up he is up. He isn't a play quietly in his room kind of kid. Now that I'm working from home almost every day my actual work day starts around 8 most days.
:goodvibes I remember that season of life. It kind of sucked at the time but I'd give a lot to go back. The days last forever but the years fly by. :grouphug:

7 a.m now that I'm working from home. When going into the office it was 6.
Weekends I don't set an alarm unless we have plans so anywhere between 9 and 10:30. But I like staying up late so often go to bed at 1.

Last edited:
Before I retired I worked for 20 years at a job I needed to be at by 4:30am. When I left that job it only took a couple of days to stop waking up at 3:20am. I'm usually up between 6-7am these days. After all those years on the early shift that doesn't seem too early.:)

Afraid y'all don't know "early bird":duck:and let's not forget that "waking up early" can also be dependent on the time one goes to bed.

e.g. -- in bed last night during Hogan's Heros 10:30/11:00PM segment and awake this AM a very late 2:30AM. Usually it's more like 1.5 to 2.5 hours of "shut eye" then up and often I leave house for an "overnight 50 to 70 mile bicycle ride" -- seriously -- or before pandemic bicycled to 24hr Walmart food shopping. Being a 70yo retired old phart has advantages. :) If I want to ride 100 miles I'll hit the couch at 8:30PM and wake at 10/10:30PM then out by 11:30PM to 12:30AM. I dig up the worms so birds don't have to work too hard.

BTW, Dream and Wonder are in Port Canaveral at this moment.

https://www.portcanaveralwebcam.com/

This sounds heavenly! The bike rides and such.

My sleep schedule is a lot like yours. Usually falling asleep between midnight and 1, up between 330-4. Then, sometimes I can fall back asleep at 5 for about 20 minutes until the alarm goes off. Those 20 minutes are what gets me through the day - it's the ultimate power nap! I tried to move my hours to starting at 5am since I am up and functional then, but we settled on 6am. It works.

I am DEFINITELY a morning person.

Before we were sent home for on line instruction I was up at 4:20 and walking into work at 6:15. I walk the dog for 3 miles every morning. During the summer I am up at 5:30 -6. No sleeping in for me anymore. Just other day I was thinking about my first summers as a teacher before I had kids and I would sleep until 9. That was 26 years ago and then I had 4 kids in 5 years. I haven't slept to 8 in 23 years.

What time do you start your day?

Generally, I'm awake by 7:00 am. I try to stay up until at least 11:00 pm at night, because my body seems to think 7 hours is enough sleep. On occasion, I'll sleep till 8:00.

When I have to go in to work I get up at 6:25am. Not a fan.
Since I've been able to work from home (currently 3 days a week) I wake up at 7:30.
On weekends I don't want to be out of bed before 10.

I typically start my day anywhere between 8:30am-10:00 (I’d say 9-9:30 is the average).

That said, I’m effectively retired and it’s just me and a dog so I’m not really bound by any external constraints. For the last few years I was working it was typically on west coast time so it’s not like I’d had to be up early for awhile anyway.

what time do you folks who wake up at 4am go to bed?!? I realize I’m in the minority on this one but waking up that early is so painful! I think part of that is that I usually only get REM sleep in the early morning hours. Midnight-1:30ish is trying to fall asleep, 2-4ish is spurts of light sleep/wake cycles, then 4-4:30 on is actual sleep.

COVID has altered the schedule a bit to working straight 5 shifts but pre-COVID and afternoon COVID, it was a wide range. Work schedules for years have been:

Day 1: 3pm-11pm
Day 2: 1:30pm - 9:30pm
Day 3: 7am-3pm
Day 4: 5:30am-1:30pm followed by a same day 10:30pm-6:30am

Yeah, good luck trying to normalize sleep.

Before COVID, I was getting up at 5:45 to be at work by 7 (and home by 4). Now, if I'm up before 7. it's a miracle ;) As long as I'm at my computer by my 9:15 meeting, it's all good

When I go to bed at a normal time I'm up by 5:00-5:30, but I've been having a hard time falling asleep before midnight/1:00 so I've had to set my alarm or I will sleep past my 7:00 start time for work. I'm working from home right now though so my commute is really short :)
I sleep 6 hours. Also get up at 5 for work. About every 3-4 months I have to do a couple weeks of night shift (5p to 5a) which is what I did the past 2 weeks and I'm having trouble coming back this week. I've been up til 2 am every night this week.

The (ex)wife said one day, "Can tell you're getting old, you don't sleep in on weekends." No, I am a night person and it took years and years to overcome that and get to bed at a decent hour on weekends. Still only sleeping 6 hours, I now just go to bed at a more normal midnight rather than 3 or 4 am.

The start of my day is generally determined by when our son wakes up. He is usually up sometime between 5:00 and 7:00 but usually towards the early end and when he is up he is up. He isn't a play quietly in his room kind of kid. Now that I'm working from home almost every day my actual work day starts around 8 most days.

There's hope. My DS was a total morning person as a young kid, and now (at 19) he's an absolute night owl. - I think kids go through several natural cycles before settling on their "real" pattern. (And I hope his is somewhere in between, because right now he can't fall asleep early even if he has to get up early. :( )

:goodvibes I remember that season of life. It kind of sucked at the time but I'd give a lot to go back. The days last forever but the years fly by. :grouphug:

This is sooooo true!

...what time do you folks who wake up at 4am go to bed?!? I realize I’m in the minority on this one but waking up that early is so painful!...

I've been in a nasty 4:30am habit lately, but my natural rhythm is still what most consider early - around 5:30.

Since I like to read in bed for a while, I shoot for 9:00pm, usually manage somewhere around 9:30, and still consider it a win if it's before 10:00.

I do fine if I get seven solid hours of sleep, but tend to need more if it's broken up.

...I think part of that is that I usually only get REM sleep in the early morning hours. Midnight-1:30ish is trying to fall asleep, 2-4ish is spurts of light sleep/wake cycles, then 4-4:30 on is actual sleep.

I definitely think I get my highest quality sleep early on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter