• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to bring back for Show & Tell?

Taking the kids out of school for a trip, then returning to do a show and tell for their classmates about the vacation trip they took while their classmates were working in class is in very poor taste.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. Some of these kids have no idea that a whole world exists beyond our small town. If we can show them even a small piece of it, I think that is valuable to their education.

How difficult or time consuming is it to actually get your passport stamped at each stop?
I looked into getting our passports stamped in each Western Caribbean country before we took our cruise. Everything I researched was that Jamaica was basically impossible unless you flew into an airport there and Cozumel was a total pain to get to. Grand Cayman's stamp is really easy to get right at the port and I would recommend getting it even if the kids don't take it in to school. It is considered one of the best passport stamps in the world. It is a pirate turtle.

Grand Cayman's stamp is really easy to get right at the port and I would recommend getting it even if the kids don't take it in to school. It is considered one of the best passport stamps in the world. It is a pirate turtle.

This is great to know! Where exactly did you go to get it when you got off the ship?

We have our children fill out a journal page a day- made for free by printing out the free printables at disney-travel-journal-kids from the mouse for less. It makes a fabulous souvenir and it is really fun to re-read once we get home.

Enjoy your cruise

This is great to know! Where exactly did you go to get it when you got off the ship?
If I remember correctly, the building was a grayish color. It is right in the area where the tender boats let everybody off. We asked our driver where it was when we got back to the port and he walked us to it. If you ask, I'm sure somebody will point you in the right direction. It really is super easy to find and get.

Taking the kids out of school for a trip, then returning to do a show and tell for their classmates about the vacation trip they took while their classmates were working in class is in very poor taste.

My kids are required to do this. Their one teacher gave them Grumple, a stuffed pig who went on every child in the class's (over the course of years) vacation /educational trip with them, accompanied by his own special book that traveled with him and detailed his journeys of where he went and what he saw. My other daughter's teacher gave her "Sandy " the sand crab who we had to take photos of in notable places on our visits and made Sandy part of my daughter's journal and for presentation to the class.

Shanti..... Did you read that she said it was only a couple of days they were missing since it coincided with their Fall Break?? Most of the trip was during a school break that ALL students had.

Last edited:

I gave my advice before, but all this talk has sparked a memory from my childhood...

Back in the days when Florida still had miles of orange groves and growers used to sell at the side of highway 27, we used to stop on the way home from our vacation to buy a bag of oranges for my class. My parents would take me out of school for 3 weeks. 8 of those days were travelling by car from western Canada to Miami and back. The week with my grandparents was all the excuse we needed to be out of school for that long. Those were the days in long-ago times. :)

Anyway, we made sure we had one orange for everyone in the class. I stood up and talked about the endless orange groves that took all afternoon to drive through and the beaches and visiting my family. And the class all got to eat an orange... then the teacher said they all had to write something about the orange (grade 3 - it was really a paragraph or two). They did and I kept the beautiful book the teacher put together, but the class was really annoyed with me, at the time, that my vacation caused them extra work.

Now, of course, taking kids out of school for 3 weeks is unheard of, as is buying fresh-picked oranges on the side of highway 27.

Shanti..... Did you read that she said it was only a couple of days they were missing since it coincided with their Fall Break?? Most of the trip was during a school break that ALL students had.

If the school allows it, I don't think anyone needs to rationalize how many days it is or if it falls over a break. My kids have missed 5 good days of school several times, and if the school is okay with it, that's all I care about. My kids are required to do some sort of show and tell/presentation (grade level appropriate) upon return since it is an educational trip.

If the school allows it, I don't think anyone needs to rationalize how many days it is or if it falls over a break. My kids have missed 5 good days of school several times, and if the school is okay with it, that's all I care about. My kids are required to do some sort of show and tell/presentation (grade level appropriate) upon return since it is an educational trip.

Exactly! No one owes anyone an explanation. I've taken my son out for 5 days before because I had Fall Break (I am a teacher and he is at a different school). I don't regret it one minute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter