What to do at Aulani when it rains

cmstpierre

Earning My Ears
We had an unseasonable day of thunderstorms today, and in all my reading leading up to this trip, I can't recall seeing a lot of info about what to do when it rains here, so I thought I'd post my findings based on what we did today. Please feel free to add more! I am hoping we have sun and not rain the rest of our trip but would love more suggestions...just in case!!!

1. Play the Menehune adventure game - they only let you do the lobby version when the rain is coming down like it was today, but it was fun for 20-30 mins.
2. Borrow a DVD from the community room. Free even if you are not DVC. (We are not. Yet.) They have a large selection of movies.
3. Play games in the community room. We borrowed a memory game and played it right there in the community room. During a lull in the Mickey meet and greet, which had been moved in there due to the weather, Mickey came over and played with us. Stitch did also later on. Made my day! Oh and my kids loved it, too. They also have books and coloring pages for kids in the community room.
4. Bring the kids to Aunty's - but sign up and arrive early!!! Due to the rain the line was out the door at 9:30, but at 9 we walked right in.
5. Work off the Mac nut pancakes and Mickey bars at the fitness center - very well stocked. I used the elliptical and the BOSU while the kids were at Aunty's.

Those are my main suggestions. You could also start watching football and drinking beer at 8 am as my husband and my dad did today... But that has repercussions later in the day so I don't recommend it.... ;)

While at Aulani in October, we had one afternoon of non-stop thunderstorms with lightning, so they had to close all of the pools. It started just after DD9 and I finished our pedis at the spa, so it was good timing in terms of keeping her out of the water to keep her toes dry! The issue we ran into was that getting anywhere (even from our room to the Community Hall) involved going outside, and the rain was so hard and lightning so often that we decided just to hang in our room. Fortunately our room was lovely and the furniture was comfy, plus we were only on our 2nd day and we were tired, so it was a good excuse for a nap!

We had an unseasonable day of thunderstorms today, and in all my reading leading up to this trip, I can't recall seeing a lot of info about what to do when it rains here, so I thought I'd post my findings based on what we did today. Please feel free to add more! I am hoping we have sun and not rain the rest of our trip but would love more suggestions...just in case!!!

1. Play the Menehune adventure game - they only let you do the lobby version when the rain is coming down like it was today, but it was fun for 20-30 mins.
2. Borrow a DVD from the community room. Free even if you are not DVC. (We are not. Yet.) They have a large selection of movies.
3. Play games in the community room. We borrowed a memory game and played it right there in the community room. During a lull in the Mickey meet and greet, which had been moved in there due to the weather, Mickey came over and played with us. Stitch did also later on. Made my day! Oh and my kids loved it, too. They also have books and coloring pages for kids in the community room.
4. Bring the kids to Aunty's - but sign up and arrive early!!! Due to the rain the line was out the door at 9:30, but at 9 we walked right in.
5. Work off the Mac nut pancakes and Mickey bars at the fitness center - very well stocked. I used the elliptical and the BOSU while the kids were at Aunty's.

Those are my main suggestions. You could also start watching football and drinking beer at 8 am as my husband and my dad did today... But that has repercussions later in the day so I don't recommend it.... ;)
The thing about HI is it seems to be raining somewhere most all the time and often isn't raining at some other spot. My suggestion is to head to places like Waikiki, North Shore Drive, Ward Warehouse/Ward Center, Ala Moana Mall or one of the many museum's.

Hop in the car and do some shopping! As mentioned above, it is usually not raining everywhere on the island at the same time. Go out and experience Oahu!

The thing about HI is it seems to be raining somewhere most all the time and often isn't raining at some other spot. My suggestion is to head to places like Waikiki, North Shore Drive, Ward Warehouse/Ward Center, Ala Moana Mall or one of the many museum's.

Sorry, but not yesterday. It was probably worse, and quite honestly more dangerous in other areas of the island. I know places on the east side were without power for portions of the day as well... Just one of those days. I'm happy OP was able to find some good things to do, and hopefully the weather just keeps getting better throughout your stay. Enjoy!

I'd call the spa and see if they have any openings for a massage or other treatments.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter