• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What to do in Miami after disembark prior to 4 pm flight

CamperMomma

Mouseketeer
We are on the November 15 Magic sailing out of San Juan and into Miami on November 20. We booked our flights yesterday and depart at 4:15 pm from MIA. Ideas on 1) best way to get a group from port to the airport - 4 adults, 5 kids, including 3 in car seats and 2 in backless boosters and 2) ideas for how to pass the time that doesn't involve sitting at the airport trying to corral all 5 kids from #1 :) We don't mind walking around seeing sites..but none of us have been to Miami before, so unsure if that's a safe thing to do where the port is. Thanks!!

You could rent a large van and go to South Beach -very close and safe for family. Let kids play, have lunch, then head to airport. Based on experience at MIA, give yourself plenty of time to get there. Cost for large van probably not more than total of individual rides to MIA

We were a family of 10 with same problem in April, although kids are a little older, ages 9-12. We used Larry's Limos. They picked us up at the port in a large van and drove us to Hollywood Beach/Boardwalk (this was my choice), where the kids were able to run around for a while. The driver waited with our luggage, and then transported us to airport. We were very satisfied with the service.

I second renting a van as long as you get the car seats. Cruising down Collins Ave is always fun. You could head to south beach like Travel60 said. Maybe check out the Fontainebleau along the way- there is a public beach access parking lot right before it next to Eden Roc. If you had more time, I would recommend Miami Seaquarium or Jungle Island.

If you have time for lunch I suggest Big Pink.

Last edited:

I would just split into a couple uber family vans. Although with luggage, best for at least one group to rent a vehicle.

Or even better, store your luggage somewhere and hop on the FREE Miami Trolley :) They now stop at the Port. https://www.miamiandbeaches.com/plan-your-trip/transportation/how-to-use-miami-s-trolley-system

Another alternative is to go with big bus tours - it looks like it may work for your group with the hop on hop off buses. https://www.bigbustours.com/en/miam...ting&cjevent=4211135487f411e981eb004b0a24060b

Not to burst your bubble but I have heard that customs have been really bad in Miami lately. Recently a ship did not clear customs (not DCL) until after 12pm. With the Magic being a small ship you should be ok but you might want to check on the situation closer to time.

We are on the November 15 Magic sailing out of San Juan and into Miami on November 20. We booked our flights yesterday and depart at 4:15 pm from MIA. Ideas on 1) best way to get a group from port to the airport - 4 adults, 5 kids, including 3 in car seats and 2 in backless boosters and 2) ideas for how to pass the time that doesn't involve sitting at the airport trying to corral all 5 kids from #1 :) We don't mind walking around seeing sites..but none of us have been to Miami before, so unsure if that's a safe thing to do where the port is. Thanks!!

2) The Miami Beach/Southbeach area is reasonably safe during the day. My husband and I really liked walking on the beach (waves were too rough to swim on those days unfortunately), walking on Ocean drive, South Pointe Park & South Pointe Pier... and of course eating in restaurants like Big Pink (nice breakfast) and Puerto Sagua --great cubano sandwiches-- (both only a few minutes walk from the beach).

We had a 7pm flight out of FLL. We rented a van for our party of 8 and spent the day at the beach in Fort Lauderdale.

When we disembarked, I left my family at the port, took a cab to Avis, and then went back to the port to pick up the family. It was super easy. We had tons of time to spend at the beach, even considering we had to drive to the airport in FLL.

2) The Miami Beach/Southbeach area is reasonably safe during the day. My husband and I really liked walking on the beach (waves were too rough to swim on those days unfortunately), walking on Ocean drive, South Pointe Park & South Pointe Pier... and of course eating in restaurants like Big Pink (nice breakfast) and Puerto Sagua --great cubano sandwiches-- (both only a few minutes walk from the beach).
Bfast @ Big Pink is my favorite!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter