What to do with cooked beef

MMluvsWDW

Forever Mickey's
I have a bunch of chunk cooked beef, but can not figure out what to do with it. I was hoping you guys might have some great ideas!

How about making beef stew with it? You usually sear the beef at the beginning anyway.

This is from the old Betty Crocker Cookbook I got 30+ yrs ago when I got married. It's pretty good!

Leftover Beef Pie

1 can tomato soup
½ c water
2 Tbl flour
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp beef bouillon
½ tsp parsley
1/8 tsp garlic powder
2 c cooked beef
2 c potatoes
2 c mixed vegetables
prepared pie crust

Mix soup, water, flour, salt, pepper, bouillon, parsley & garlic in a large bowl. Stir in beef, potatoes (canned or nuked & peeled) & veggies. Pour into ungreased casserole. Top with pie crust & seal edges. Cut slits in top & bake at 425 for 30 min, until crust is golden brown & liquid bubbles through slits.

I usually make soup, pot pie or slice it up for stir fry. The beef barley soup from Le Cellier is actually made prime rib that was not served during the day (that's what gave me the idea to make soup).

Proper shepher'ds pie - it was traditionally made with left over meat.

Here is an English recipe from Marguerite Patten (who advised on cooking during WWII)

To serve 4 (this is smalish portions - post-war austerity! -so I make more or serve extra veg. Its easy to double up)

8-12oz cooked meat
1oz dripping or fat
1 onion
2 large tomatoes
good pinch dried mixed herbs
1/4 -1/2 pint beef stock or brown sauce * depending how "wet" you want it (I use 1/2 pint brown sauce)
1lb mashed potato (or more!)
1oz butter/marge

Pre-heat oven to 375-400F/Gas 5-6/180-200C

Cut the meat into neat pievces or put through mincer. Heat the dripping or fat and fry the finely chopped onion for 3 minutes. Add slinned chopped tomatoes and the meat and heat together for 2-3 minutes. Stir in herbs, seasoning and stock or sauce (if you use stock cubes you probably won't need extra salt and pepper). Put into a pie dish and cover with mash, forking neatly or piping. Put tiny pieces of butter on top to help it brown (or a little grated parmesan is nice!) and bake in centre of oven for about 30-40 mins until the top is nicely browned and the filling is bubbling.

*Brown sauce in this case is a thick sauce made from butter/dripping, flour and stock using the same methods and proportions as you would for a white (bechemal) sauce.

real comfort food! and you can make ahead and just put in the oven when you need it.

I cut it up into bite size pieces, throw it in a crockpot and add mushroom soup and some garlic and cook it on low. Right before dinner time I add sour cream and put it over noodles. A fast stroganoff.

Thanks guys,
I have already made the leftover Beef Pie and it's amazing. I can beef, and so I have a ton of it but I couldn't figure out what to do with it. So this is great! IT's gonna be gone before I know it and I'll need another Beef Sale!!!!

Shred it and make enchiladas or bbq beef sandwiches.

When I was about 12 or 13, I was so proud of a stovetop dish I "invented" with small chunks of leftover roast beef. I sauted small chopped onions and green peppers, made a white sauce, then added cooked brown rice, the chopped meat, grated cheddar cheese, and some grated carrots. I seasoned it with whatever smelled good from the spice cabinet. I haven't thought of that for years. That was in my "I'm going to be a chef" phase. I made it whenever we had leftover roast and my parents raved about it - and now that I'm a parent I understand why! (Unfortunately I got busy in high school and lost my cooking interest.)

Anyway, my point is - I think you could make a lot of casseroles and things that normally might call for ground beef.

One of my favorite childhood dinners was leftover roast beef mixed with beef gravy (canned is fine) and cream of mushroom soup. Add milk, water, or beef broth to get the consistency you want. Serve over noodles, or elbow macaroni. :thumbsup2

How do you can beef?
Sorry I've been going to get back to you and this weekend was nuts! If you can or have canned it's really simple. You don't have to cook beef or pork first so you just chunk it put it in the jar and can in the canner. If you want more specific info let me know. I do chicken and beef and pork and love it!

We don't have canners here, I don't think. I make jam and stuff like that though. Is it the same? Or is it like bottling where you stand it in hot water?

We don't have canners here, I don't think. I make jam and stuff like that though. Is it the same? Or is it like bottling where you stand it in hot water?

I've never canned meats because you must use a pressure canner, not a water bath. To be honest, those have always scared me a bit. My one grandmother used a pressure cooker & there were several accidents...just too scary for me!

I don't have a pressure cooker so I'll just eat the stuff ;)

I cut up leftover beef and add it to home made onion soup. It makes it more of a meal...just add a salad!

You could make it into chili. Make a big batch and freeze it for when it gets colder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter