What to do with cooked rice?

fofinia

DIS Veteran
Hi all!

I made a boo boo and cooked too much rice the other day. And it would be fine for left overs except it is really really plain. Like yuck! So I would like to reinvent it into something else for dinner. Not sure what? There is some chicken broth in it. So I don't think making rice pudding would be good.

Any family favorite recipes, not too fattening!, out there that use cooked white rice in them that you want to share???

Thanks!

Try adding Cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup and add some chopped turkey or chicken to it, you could also add some vegs to it . It's one of my kids favorites :love:
Hope this helps you.

I always make extra rice for later sides:

*stir in low-fat sour cream or yogurt, sprinkle on some cheese and heat(either on stove or in microwave) and serve as a side dish. Depending on the rice, sometimes I have to add a little bit of water to help it moisten up again.

*stir fry with some soy sauce, garlic, green onions and broccoli for a side dish, or also toss in some meat and other veggies to make a fried rice dish.

*If I'm in a big rush and don't need anything fancy, and happen to have some leftover chicken as well, I'll saute some onion and celery in a pot until tender, add roasted chicken (cubed), chicken broth/stock, and leftover rice to make a chicken rice soup. Season and add herbs to taste (I usually "salt" using buillon rather than salt). Add some tomatoes and cumin to this and you have a decent, basic chicken tortilla soup (just add some tortilla strips to the top)

Cooked rice is good in mexican food. If you mix it in with your meat mixture for tacos/burritos, etc. it "takes" the seasoning well and really stretches how far your meat will go.

Also don't know if you have a dog, but our dog *loves* plain white rice. She would scarf it down as a special treat. (I don't usually give her table food, but one time when she was sick, the vet recommended that we make her plain white rice with chicken broth at home, instead of buying the $$$ special food, because it's so easy to digest. So now my left over rice usually goes into her bowl. As soon as I take the lid off the rice steamer, she gets excited!)

Add some chicken (shredded or diced) and a can of rotel, and you have a great filling for enchiladas.... roll mixture up in a tortilla, pour enchilada sauce over it, and top with cheese... bake at 375 until heated through, about 30 minutes... yummy!

Add a can of diced tomatoes, frozen corn and can of black beans and you have spanish rice.

You can serve seperately with a meat, serve with flour tortillas or use with tortilla chips. Great way to use up leftovers.

Happy cooking!

Mix up equal parts of cream of mushroom and mayo, add some lemon juice and some curry. Put rice in casserole, add in some cooked chicken and some cooked broccoli and mix in sauce. Bake until hot.

Hi all!

I made a boo boo and cooked too much rice the other day. And it would be fine for left overs except it is really really plain. Like yuck! So I would like to reinvent it into something else for dinner. Not sure what? There is some chicken broth in it. So I don't think making rice pudding would be good.

Any family favorite recipes, not too fattening!, out there that use cooked white rice in them that you want to share???

Thanks!

I used rice the next day mixed with a few chopped veggies and a can of black beans and make healthy bean burgers for the family! Hope that helps!

I like rice in tomato soup

Stir fry some veggies and a meat if you want it and put it over the rice

Add it to a broth based soup (just before serving though)

Mix with beans and add a bit extra of taco seasoning and make tacos or enchiladas.

One of my DH's favorite meals- take a chicken breast and cook it with sweet chili sauce (I buy this at Trader Joe's). Cube or shred the chicken, mix with a can of pineapple (drained) and serve over rice with a bit more of the sauce. He literally scraped the bowl clean the first time I made that :lmao:

When I was little dm would make scrambled eggs and add in leftover rice and corn. It was one of my favorites. It's kind of an odd recipe but I've made it for the kids recently and they loved it. You could also add diced ham.

My DMIL always adds rice to her hamburger when she makes stuffed cabbage or stuffed peppers.

I always cook my rice for fried rice a day before using it. Although I use brown I'm sure white would be fine. Add a little olive oil to skillet, add diced onions and any other veggies you might have on hand. Add rice and let cook a couple minutes, stir around and continue to heat through. Could also add chicken too.

I dont' have a suggestion off the top of my head but I'm glad you made the mistake because these suggestions area awesome!!!!! :lmao: I'm bookmarking this thread for when I dont' want to fuss with dinner one night! :thumbsup2

try chicken and rice soup. it was my favorite growing up, and my mom always gaveit to me instead of chicken noodle soup.

Fried rice. Just put the left over rice in a pot or pan and add some butter and crack an egg or 2 and scramble that up add some frozen corn, green beans,peas and carrots or any of those that you have i have also used brocolli. when it is all heated up then add soy sauce.
i make my own white sauce to put on top and it is Wonderful.

I use rice under a stir-fry & the rice doesn't have to taste all that great because of the sauce in the rest. ;) Rice Road & Soy Vey both make some really good sauces if you don't want to start from scratch. :thumbsup2

But a recipe I really like & don't make often (because I always forget it needs pre-cooked rice unil it's too late) is the Citrus Rice from the Polynesian. I love this stuff! :teeth: Just skip step #1 in the prep...of course we cut the salt way back as well as the butter.

Citrus Rice
Polynesian

1 1/3 c water
½ tsp Salt
7 Tbl butter, divided
1 1/3 c pre-cooked rice
2/3 c chopped celery
1/3 c chopped Spanish onion
3 Tbl chopped orange peel
1½ Tbl chopped lemon peel
1/3 c orange juice
3 Tbl chicken broth
to taste Salt and white pepper

1. Bring water, salt and 2 tsp. butter to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat. At the end of 5 min., fluff with a fork. Set aside.

2. Heat remaining butter in a 9" skillet. Add celery, onion, orange and lemon peels and mix in rice. Sauté for 7 minutes. Add orange juice and chicken broth and season to taste. Spoon into a 1-quart buttered casserole and bake at 350 deg. F for 15 min.

Hi all!

Thanks!

I usually make too much on purpose and freeze it. Put it in a freezer bag and pop it in the freezer. Then later I thaw it and use it for fried rice or spanish rice.

I dont' have a suggestion off the top of my head but I'm glad you made the mistake because these suggestions area awesome!!!!! :lmao: I'm bookmarking this thread for when I dont' want to fuss with dinner one night! :thumbsup2

I agree these ideas are awesome! Thanks everyone for your replies. Should I make mexican, or fried rice, easy casserole, eggs! Oh my goodness so many choices! We're definitely having one of them tonight though!

Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter