"What to Expect from Disney at Ko Olina" (DVC in Hawaii)

Horace Horsecollar

DIS Veteran
I don't think anyone has posted this yet.

Yesterland has an article today called "What to Expect from Disney at Ko Olina" at http://www.yesterland.com/disneykoolina1.html

The article starts with the artwork and press release that DVC issued a year ago, but then goes on with speculation about the resort, observations about Hawaiian resorts in general, and information (including photos) about Disney's location.

Nice article! It looks like it'll be a lovely location. But it's a little creepy seeing it on the "Yesterland" site. I sort of expected to see Eagle Pines drawings on the next screen.

DisFlan

I'll feel a whole lot better about DVC Hawaii, once we see some land being broken. DW and myself were actually hoping to stay there in 2012. But until we see something being built, I'll believe it when I see it. Anyone remember Disney America?

I called MS about something a few days ago (within the last week) and was just chit chatting away with the CM about this & that...I mentioned that we had not received any info. yet on BLT...and then speculated about Ko'Olina and wondered out loud if they would be breaking ground soon so that it would be ready by 2011. (We try to go to Hawaii once every 5 years and 2011 would be our next date to go!)

She told me to hold on while she checked something. Then she came back a few minutes later and told me she couldn't talk to me about it because I live in Maryland and apparently some paperwork has been filed for them to be able to sell it in Maryland (or something to that effect) but it's not final or approved as yet. So she is rtherefore estricted from discussing it until it's "official" in my home state. She said IF I happened to be in Florida on vacation OR in one of the other states that this paperwork has been completed in she COULD tell me some scoop!! So there apparently IS news on it...but I have no way of knowing WHAT. I asked if it was GOOD news whatever it was and she sounded like she was smiling when said "I think so." That was all I could get...so someone in FL needs to call DVC and flat out ask what's up with Hawaii!!!:rolleyes1

She said IF I happened to be in Florida on vacation OR in one of the other states that this paperwork has been completed in she COULD tell me some scoop!! So there apparently IS news on it...but I have no way of knowing WHAT. I asked if it was GOOD news whatever it was and she sounded like she was smiling when said "I think so." That was all I could get...so someone in FL needs to call DVC and flat out ask what's up with Hawaii!!!:rolleyes1
I think your MS CM was referring to Bay Lake Tower, not Hawaii. DVC can only discuss details of Bay Lake Tower with people who are in states where registration has been completed.

Hawaii hasn't even broken ground yet. It's supposed to happen by the end of the year, but we're now in the 4th quarter, so time is running out. The opening is projected for 2011, but the actual opening date will depend on when construction begins in ernest.

It will be years before Disney is selling DVC in Hawaii in any state.

I think your MS CM was referring to Bay Lake Tower, not Hawaii. DVC can only discuss details of Bay Lake Tower with people who are in states where registration has been completed.

Hawaii hasn't even broken ground yet. It's supposed to happen by the end of the year, but we're now in the 4th quarter, so time is running out. The opening is projected for 2011, but the actual opening date will depend on when construction begins in ernest.

Nope - I specifically asked about Ko'Olina - I asked if she knew if they were going to break ground in 2009 or what - that would give them 2 years to get ready for a 2011 opening. That's when she put me on hold and then came back and said she couldn't discuss it with me 'cuz whatever the paper work is that she's referring to isn't completed yet - in MARYLAND. I don't WHAT the paper work is. But it's something that has a disclosure statement or something and if it's complete in your state then they can talk to you. She did not rattle off a list of which states are done, only that FL is. It may only be info. about WHEN they're going to break ground - but they won't formally announce it until it's official in the states where they have members.

Look how long they were working on BLT before they opened sales. I know they won't be selling anything for awhile...I don't think it will be YEARS if it's still supposed to open in 2011. My guess would be that sales will start sometime in 2010 if everything's still on track. I suppose if no FL DVC'ers will call then I will have to wait until we go down there next August.:rolleyes1

On the DVC Members Cruise (which happened in September) they had a video clip from the gentleman who is heading up the resort. In it he indicated that the official ground breaking would be next month (meaning October).

Edited to add - thanks for the link. DH and I were at Ko Olina in February 2007 and loved it. We did a morning snorkel excursion on the Ko Olina Cat which was pictured. It was awesome! We are looking forward to being owners at Ko Olina!

On the DVC Members Cruise (which happened in September) they had a video clip from the gentleman who is heading up the resort. In it he indicated that the official ground breaking would be next month (meaning October).

Edited to add - thanks for the link. DH and I were at Ko Olina in February 2007 and loved it. We did a morning snorkel excursion on the Ko Olina Cat which was pictured. It was awesome! We are looking forward to being owners at Ko Olina!

WhooHooo!!:woohoo: Can't wait for more details! We usually stay on Maui for the majority of our stays but me thinks DVC could persuade us to spend more time on Oahu!:scratchin

As a Marriott Aruba Ocean Club owner too - I just traded my Aruba week for Ko Olina in March 2009. Hopefully when I go I can get some pics of the new site and construction. Looking forward to spending some time in Hawaii Disney style.:thumbsup2

As a Marriott Aruba Ocean Club owner too - I just traded my Aruba week for Ko Olina in March 2009. Hopefully when I go I can get some pics of the new site and construction. Looking forward to spending some time in Hawaii Disney style.:thumbsup2
Congrats, what size and view unit did you get?

I got a two bedroom but how do I know what view - should I call the resort and see if I can request oceanfront since I am an 2 bedroom oceanfront at the Ocean Club?

I got a two bedroom but how do I know what view - should I call the resort and see if I can request oceanfront since I am an 2 bedroom oceanfront at the Ocean Club?
You can do it one of two ways. You can sign in to your rewards account and check under upcoming reservations. It will usually give you one or more clues in reservation listing. Or you can call or email MVCI Customer Service, give them the Marriott reservation number and they can usually tell you the information. Marriott almost never give you an upgrade over the unit type deposited unless the resort is pretty empty. And they don't really care, nor does II, what the view type was you gave up. They don't have OF, only OS and GV. If it's a Gardenview unit, request pool side as there are a few of the GV units on that side of the building in the Kona building.

As an owner at the Marriott Manor Club we also traded for the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. We stayed there during the 4th of July week this year (our second week on Oahu). We got a 2 Bedroom Ocean View unit in the newest of the two buildings being occupied. That resort is great. When we were there we saw the lot where they are going to build the DVC resort. Ko Olina is a great location on Oahu. The lagoons are great to snorkel around in. They are protected from the surf. Lagoon 2 had turtles in them. There are some fish in the others. The location of the DVC resort seems to share lagoon 1 with the JW Marriott Hotel. We stayed at the JW Marriott in two connecting rooms our first week there. It also borders lagoon 2. No matter where you stay you can walk to any lagoon to swim, snorkel, whatever.

You will love the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. It has two very good pools. And the sun sets right off the Ko Olina beach area since it faces west. If you like touristy luaus, the Paradise Cove luau is next door. But on Tuesday night you can go to the more intimate Fia Fia luau at the Ko Olina Beach Club itself.

Thanks musical2 for all the information. I am so looking forward to it and hope that I get a oceanview room as I am an OceanFront owner in Aruba. I have been conversing with Dean trying to find out where I might be now and if I could try to request oceanview so we'll see. Ko Olina is my first week and then I will go to Kauai to the Hanalei Bay in Princeville for my second. Got the the non-stop flight for Newark to Honolulu on some frequent flyer miles I've been accumulating for years now. I hope the OP isn't upset with me for changing gears but I promise to take pics when I get there.

Here's a few more pictures to add to the excitement over the resort we will be owning at. :)

As Mary said back there we actually stayed at the Marriott on an II tradeout and totally love the location.

This was a very good omen for us, I just happened to be ready with the camera as we flew in on approach. The JW is at the top, Marriott's timeshare is by the bottom lagoon, and when we were there they were building some kind of condominium on that third spot.
KoOlina.jpg

This is the view we had from our room.
view.jpg

And I happened to be up at 3am and snatched up the camera for this glorious version:
moon.jpg

And yes on the Ko'Olina Cat we DID see lots of fish. :)
lotsfish.jpg

All in all he has it right- it is a great location, it's not a 'too' busy area, has good access to parts of the island away from the busy of Waikiki. Isn't too far from the airport or even Waikiki if you want to sample some of that night life. And the shopping center he mentioned is already pretty nice and not crazy priced. And being on the western shore makes for great sunsets. :)

Also if you want to really check out what the locals call fast food find a Zippy's. And I personally enjoy McD's big islander breakfast with rice and spam instead of hashbrown and sausage. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter