What would you choose?

cheryl.UK

DIS Veteran
Just booked our trip to celebrate my 40th Birthday this year.

We'll be there for 2 nights in September.

What does everyone suggest

Breakast in fantasyland/character breakfast

Dinner at WALTs/ Dinner at Disneyland Hotel

Full day in DLP/Full day in the studios

lunch at rendezvous les stars/lunch at Annettes Diner

We just got back from DLP-1 night HI, 4 nights HNY. For the first time we ate at the Disneyland Hotel Inventions for a character dinner and the food was phenomenal. It was a buffet with the nicest food I have tasted in the entire park. I mean nowhere else can touch it. There was fresh shrimp and prawns as well as crab, too many starters to even remember and a huge variety of main meals. The view is over the entrance to the park is lovely and the interaction with the characters is great. I can't say enough about it!!! On the other hand we tried Walt's on a previous visit which came very highly recommended and were disgusted with the food and the service. The food was barely edible and the portions were tiny and we waited a half an hour to be served which baffled me as the restaurant was not even busy. Perhaps it was just an off day but I wouldn't be in a hurry to try it again. I would go to the Blue Lagoon again primarily to soak up the amazing atmosphere. Also a first for us on this trip was the Lucky Nugget Saloon where we went for a character lunch. This is also buffet style and very good food indeed-far superior to Cafe Mickey both in terms of quality of food as well as atmosphere and also interaction with the characters. The salads at Annettes Diner are nice and HUGE!!! Your other question- have never done character breakfast but did decide to have a full American breakfast brought to our room for a 6 euro supplement (plus 10 euro per room for bringing it to the room). It was lovely not to have to struggle with the kids down at breakfast and there was enough food to feed we estimated about 10 people (no exageration). As far as Disneyland Park or studios if I were there for two days I would spend a day and a half in the park and half a day in the studios. Whatever you decide I hope you have a really special trip for your 40th (my sister spent last year there for her 40th). Let us know how it goes

I have never eaten there but I would chose Inventions or the Cali Grill :)

We loved California Grill and Inventions at the Disneyland Hotel, so I recommend both. Both had great food, friendly & efficient service, and a great atmosphere. :sunny:

I don't believe Walt's serves dinner at all. They do have lunch, but we didn't really care to much for their lunch (good enough food, but atmosphere left more to be desired)- it seems their character breakfast is a more fun experience.

If you decide on dinner in the park, we've always had great times at Auberge de Cendrillon and the Blue Lagoon. :flower:

Rather than list more specifics, here's the link to my restaurant reviews from my most recent trip. Let me know if you have any other questions. ::MinnieMo

Hi,

here´s my vote :goodvibes

character breakfast at Walts

Dinner at Disneyland Hotel California Grill for the birthday :goodvibes

Full day in DLP

lunch at Annettes Diner

Greets Renate :wizard:

I second exactly what Renate said! Her suggestions would make for the best possible two day birthday celebration at DLP, in my opinion, too!!
Definitely the full day in DLP, and you will LOVE Annette's for lunch. I've never eaten at Walt's or the Disneyland hotel restaurant, but they are both on my list and are the "top of the line" - just the places to pamper yourself for your special day!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

:flower: :) :flower: :) :flower:

We have done Walts for character breakfast and Annettes Diner, and both are excellent choices.
Supper in Grill would be the icing on the cake, from the reviews I read.

Would have to be Disneyland park for us. :goodvibes

Reid

Cheryl hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread!

I have just booked a 2 night trip to DLP (26/6-28/6) staying at the Holiday Inn.

I am visiting with my wife and 2 children (aged 5 & 1).

Our Eurostar train is due to arrive at 13:30 on the Sunday. Rather than spend half a day at the parks I thought we might pay a flying visit (via the Metro) to the center of Paris to visit one or two of the main attractions. Do you think that this is a good idea? Or should we spend Sunday afternoon visiting the Studios which then leaves us a full 2 days at Disneyland Park. I do have reservations about doing this. 1. It will be Sunday so it will be very busy (i guess) and 2. we will paying for a whole day's tickets whilst only getting about 4 hours in the parks.

Secondly at some stage we need to do a character breaksfast or lunch or dinner. Personally I think it would probably better to do a dinner or maybe lunch. I'm against the idea of a breakfast primarily because with a 1 year old it would be a big rush in the morning, also I personally think it is better to get the park early when it is at its least busiest. Thought's anyone?

Where are best places to eat? I need to get a good breaksfast before hitting the parks! Do the suggestions already made apply if you have two young children?
Also I think my daughter would really like to visit the Rainforest Cafe. Can you just get a drink there or do you have to eat something - what's the food like?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon
:cool1:

Hi Simon

I wonder given the age of your troop and that you'll have had an early start in the morning that Paris might just be another journey too far :confused3

I would be tempted to go to the Studios and then have two full days in Disneyland Parc.

Reid

I think I'd be tempted to go for the half day in the studios, myself. We found it got extramely quiet there after about 4.30, and got lots done (this was at a very busy time of year)

Hi Simon!

I too would suggest going to the Studios on the afternoon you get there. Do you really want to have to take the journey to Paris with 2 small kids in tow when you've only just got there? If you could do the Studios on Sunday, that would give you 2 days for the main park, plus they would be weekdays which would be much quieter. Let us know what you decide.

I would probably go for a character dinner as you can go after the park is closed and spend as long as you like, whereas you might feel a bit rushed in the day if you want to get back to the rides. Cafe Mickey in the Village is great for a character dinner.

You can just drink in the Rainforest Cafe - I love it there but it might be a little bit scary for your 1 year old.

Rhiannon :wizard:

DisneyRGB said:
Hi Simon!

I too would suggest going to the Studios on the afternoon you get there. Do you really want to have to take the journey to Paris with 2 small kids in tow when you've only just got there? If you could do the Studios on Sunday, that would give you 2 days for the main park, plus they would be weekdays which would be much quieter. Let us know what you decide.

I would probably go for a character dinner as you can go after the park is closed and spend as long as you like, whereas you might feel a bit rushed in the day if you want to get back to the rides. Cafe Mickey in the Village is great for a character dinner.

You can just drink in the Rainforest Cafe - I love it there but it might be a little bit scary for your 1 year old.

Hi Rhiannon,
Thanks for your comments. I am coming around your thinking about going to the Studios on Sunday afternoon, my wife is more keen that I to visit the center of Paris.

What sort of food does Cafe Mickey do? Is it buffet style and what time do they normally start?

I don't think my 1 year would be scared as he a little monster himself.

Regards
Simon

Hi Simon,

I agree that you should do the studios on the Sunday. I have a boy of 6 and a girl of 2 so last year when were were at DLP they were the same age as yours are now. We haven't toured around Paris yet as I just know that my kids would be a nightmare. They would be bored and I just think it would not be worth all the hassle. Also, my son (6) is so excited about our annual trip to DLP and since we are only there for a few days I did not think it was fair to him or my daughter to expect them to tour around Paris for a day. If you do end up going I would appreciate hearing how it went.
Last year we went to RFC and DD had just turned 1. We initially went in and walked around and showed her the animals etc to see what her reaction would be before we committed to taking a table. Since she was very curious but not frightened we ended up having a meal there.
We have done a number of character lunches and dinners and our favourites were the Lucky Nugget Saloon for a character lunch and Inventions for a character dinner. Both these places had buffet meals with an EXCELLENT variety of dishes for both children and adults alike. Also, character interaction was excellent especially at the Lucky Nugget. We much preferred both these restaurants to Cafe Mickey which we have also done a number of times. If I had to choose only one a would pick the Lucky Nugget for a character lunch. Hope you have a great time.

Hi Nicola,
Thanks for your comments. Did your 5 year old enjoy the RFC? I went to the one in WDW (prior to children being born) and thought it was excellent.

Following people comments I think I have pretty much decided to go the Studios on Sunday afternoon. Monday and Tuesday will be spent on the main park with us taking a character dinner on Monday.

How long are the characters there for the dinner and what time do the dinners tend to start. Did you book yours in advance or when you got there?

Thanks
Simon

p.s. can't wait to see my daughters face when we tell on the morning of out departure that we are going to Disney - she will be made up!

Hi Simon

Cafe Mickey isn't buffet style, there is a menu which you pick your meal from, and you can choose how many courses you have. There is quite a lot of choice on the menu but obviously you don't get the variety you get from a buffet. Not sure what time it opens but I think it might be open all day.

If you would prefer a buffet meal, and are happy to have your character meal at lunchtime, I would definitely agree with Nicola - the Lucky Nugget Saloon in Frontierland is great - there's so much choice and although it is a "tex-mex" buffet (ribs, fajitas, chilli etc) there is also pasta, chicken nuggets, pizza etc. I haven't eaten at Inventions but I've heard a lot of great things about it - it's quite expensive I believe but that would be a way of having a buffet-style meal in the evening rather than at lunchtime.

Simon,

My son loves RFC as he does everything at DLP! We had character lunch at Lucky Nugget at 3:00 and the characters were there the whole time. Minnie started a train with all the kids in the restaurant and other characters. It weaved in and out of all the tables and my son was so pleased as he got to hold onto Minnie's waist. The interaction with characters at this meal was amazing!! We had dinner on another day at inventions at 7:30pm. The characters were also there the entire meal and mainly come around to each table every 10-15 mins which was very good also. The dinner at inventions was very expensive. I think our bill came to 130 euro, lucky nugget was about 65 euro. We booked them both from our hotel on the day and it was no problem getting the time that we wanted.

Cheers

nicola said:
Simon,

My son loves RFC as he does everything at DLP! We had character lunch at Lucky Nugget at 3:00 and the characters were there the whole time. Minnie started a train with all the kids in the restaurant and other characters. It weaved in and out of all the tables and my son was so pleased as he got to hold onto Minnie's waist. The interaction with characters at this meal was amazing!! We had dinner on another day at inventions at 7:30pm. The characters were also there the entire meal and mainly come around to each table every 10-15 mins which was very good also. The dinner at inventions was very expensive. I think our bill came to 130 euro, lucky nugget was about 65 euro. We booked them both from our hotel on the day and it was no problem getting the time that we wanted.

Cheers

euro 130 (£95) sounds like quite a lot of money for dinner even at DLP, kind of puts me off - my pocket is not bottomless! Did you have to pay for the 1 year old?

I am deifinitely going to visit Annettes Diner the Luckey Nugget and the Rain forest cafe. Children might have to make do with one Character meal though.

Simon

Simon,

We think we were charged for our daughter. She was actually 2 on this past visit (May 22-27). She only had a few bites from buffet and was charged full price for children's meal. We probably could have disputed this but we had just had a really bad day (our daughter fell in park and dislocated arm, we spent entire day in Paris hospital) so we were not in the mood for any more trouble :sad2: . We were not charged for her at buffet at Lucky Nugget and she had quite a bit to eat there. The waiter explained to us that normally they charge half of the amount of a child's meal for children under three but that he wasn't going to charge us anything :cheer2: I would definitely recommend Lucky Nugget but don't expect a peaceful meal as if your kids are anything like mine there'll be little time for eating with all the excitement that the characters bring. You should enjoy HI we stayed there for first night a few weeks ago and it was really nice (and I am pretty hard to please!!)

Hi

We went on a five day trip to Paris a couple of years ago with our 6 year old son. He loved Paris mainly because he likes towers and monuments that have a million steps !! ( At least it feels like they have)
icon10.gif
:confused: :faint:

On the third day inspite of Paris being lovely and we had a great time we decided we ( the adults ) needed a disney fix.
:wizard: ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo
We went into a tourist info place and booked a night into the Cheyanne. We then caught the RER train to DLP very fast and very convenient, We had one night and one day in the Cheyanne and then went back to our hotel in Paris for the last night and morning prior to catching Eurostar home. It was great and worked very well. I think I would probably do the same again out of choice - if I was planning to visit Paris I would go for a couple of days at least and then go to DLP or leave DLP for another time. Just my opinion but it worked for us,
Our son loved the "Illumination tour " in the evening on a coach. You got to see all the historic sites lit up and there was an english commentary via headphones. It was brill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter