What would you do?

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
Okay...we aren't SERIOUSLY looking to buy a contract right now. But it's fun to dream or pretend, right?

We're going to BRV next week. First time ever. And our son's first WDW trip. Let's say he has a blast and we love it there and want to consider a contract at some point. We'd likely only go every 3rd year, using banking/borrowing since DLR/VGC will always be our real "home."

I know that if we wanted to stay in a studio for a week at BRV, buying a contract there would make the most sense. But what if we were thinking we'd likely want a 1-bedroom or even a 2-bedroom for a week (likely in January/February)....how important is the 11-month window for those at BRV?

I just wonder if it makes more sense to buy a small contract at SSR instead since they are usually affordable/have a later expiration than BRV. Or if buying at BRV specifically would be better.

Thoughts?

Again...this is all for fun right now as we aren't really in the market for more points. But you know how it is...

https://www.dvcfieldguide.com/availability-tables

Just look at that when you would go to give you an idea.

BRV 1br is fairly easy outside of fall time through the end of the year.

I wouldn't buy BRV at this point either since the expiration date is getting closer by the day, you're down to 16/17 years of points at this point probably and using them for 5/6 trips doesn't sound like the best idea.

Yeah, I considered that. Though realistically, I'm not sure how much we'll go to WDW in 20+ years. I'll be in my 60s by then, which isn't old, by any means. However, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I have a hard time seeing myself there if it's significantly worse by then.

Yeah, I considered that. Though realistically, I'm not sure how much we'll go to WDW in 20+ years. I'll be in my 60s by then, which isn't old, by any means. However, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis so I have a hard time seeing myself there if it's significantly worse by then.
I hear Aulani is good for rheumatoid arthritis :P Kidding. BRV does expire in 18 years so it wouldn't be the worst purchase if you did want it to expire but I would try other resorts first of course.

Okay...we aren't SERIOUSLY looking to buy a contract right now. But it's fun to dream or pretend, right?

We're going to BRV next week. First time ever. And our son's first WDW trip. Let's say he has a blast and we love it there and want to consider a contract at some point. We'd likely only go every 3rd year, using banking/borrowing since DLR/VGC will always be our real "home."

I know that if we wanted to stay in a studio for a week at BRV, buying a contract there would make the most sense. But what if we were thinking we'd likely want a 1-bedroom or even a 2-bedroom for a week (likely in January/February)....how important is the 11-month window for those at BRV?

I just wonder if it makes more sense to buy a small contract at SSR instead since they are usually affordable/have a later expiration than BRV. Or if buying at BRV specifically would be better.

Thoughts?

Again...this is all for fun right now as we aren't really in the market for more points. But you know how it is...
My vote is CCV so you still get Wilderness Lodge and then waitlist BRV. Long contract, low resale price, low dues!

The only thing I will add is to remember that DVC can change the limit on banking/borrowing if they need to, like when the pandemic hit. So, be sure that you consider this with the every 3rd year plan...

Since you don't know how much, if at all, you'll want to go to WDW in 20 years and your plan is to go every third year, that means in the next 20 years you'd go maybe 6 or 7 times. I don't think a DVC purchase is worth it for that few trips.

The only thing I will add is to remember that DVC can change the limit on banking/borrowing if they need to, like when the pandemic hit. So, be sure that you consider this with the every 3rd year plan...
This is also a great point. Chances are when those 2042 contracts get near the end there is some sort of banking and borrowing changes that they do. Likely to prevent someone for using 3 years worth of points and then just not paying the final years of dues, cause what are they gonna do take your contract thats about to expire? Big whoop.

CCV rooms are loud. The people in the hallway might as well be standing in your room. However, for future use, having RA, it would be a good selection. Maybe room placement could mitigate the sound (ask for an end villa)?

Everyone is making some good points. If we decide we won't go very often, maybe just renting points would make the most sense. My only concern there is if we needed to cancel, I think we'd just be out thousands of dollars, right??

Everyone is making some good points. If we decide we won't go very often, maybe just renting points would make the most sense. My only concern there is if we needed to cancel, I think we'd just be out thousands of dollars, right??
If you use a rental agency I think there is some leeway with that, not sure since I dont rent

But on the flip side if you are doing 3 years of points in a trip, if you had to cancel that you could also lose a chunk of money in points that expire that you can't use. Course you could always try to rent what you have as a confirmed res, which depending on the time of year could be pretty easy to do.

I remember you from my VGC FOMO days!!!

Another option: rent your VGC points and use the cash to book a room at CCV (or anywhere else). Then you're not tied to a particular home resort, and you have hotel-type cancellation policies. (and better chances at pixie dust*)

The other thing is that you could always just use your $$$$$ VGC points at 7 months and try all the various resorts. Even if you had to waitlist it would likely come through in plenty of time.

Yeah, with only 160 VGC points though...we'd have to forego a DLR trip in order to do WDW those years. Which would probably be okay. Definitely options to consider! Though I don't know if renting our points would get us enough money to have a cash stay in a deluxe hotel.

Yeah, with only 160 VGC points though...we'd have to forego a DLR trip in order to do WDW those years. Which would probably be okay. Definitely options to consider! Though I don't know if renting our points would get us enough money to have a cash stay in a deluxe hotel.

The rental sites don’t pay enough of a premium for VGC, IMO.

And renting other point will cost you $20pp+ whereas buying CCV would average $11pp (including dues) and can be used as SAP.

IMO, DVC works best for every year or two (with multiple visits), not once every three years. Too much can happen in 3 years to justify a DVC purchase. I'd recommend renting points to satisfy your WDW itch. And if you;re only going to go once every 3 years, why does it have to be at a DVC resort? Plenty of great moderates to stay at, or off-site. Off-site would also open up the Universal/Epic options in the future. Either way, have fun and enjoy yourselves.

It doesn't have to be DVC. We've actually NEVER stayed in a DVC room ever. And have also never stayed Deluxe at WDW so this upcoming trip will be a first for us. We just love the look of Wilderness Lodge. Though we did love Port Orleans Riverside years ago and if we weren't doing DVC this trip, we probably would have tried POFQ.

I just worry we'll become a bit "spoiled" after this trip. And not because DVC or BRV has any extra amenities or anything like that. Just because it's the look/vibe we like.

For every third year, moderate probably makes the most sense for us even though it costs similar to renting DVC. Mainly for the cancellation flexibility.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter