What would you do?

Okay...we aren't SERIOUSLY looking to buy a contract right now. But it's fun to dream or pretend, right?

We're going to BRV next week. First time ever. And our son's first WDW trip. Let's say he has a blast and we love it there and want to consider a contract at some point. We'd likely only go every 3rd year, using banking/borrowing since DLR/VGC will always be our real "home."

I know that if we wanted to stay in a studio for a week at BRV, buying a contract there would make the most sense. But what if we were thinking we'd likely want a 1-bedroom or even a 2-bedroom for a week (likely in January/February)....how important is the 11-month window for those at BRV?

I just wonder if it makes more sense to buy a small contract at SSR instead since they are usually affordable/have a later expiration than BRV. Or if buying at BRV specifically would be better.

Thoughts?

Again...this is all for fun right now as we aren't really in the market for more points. But you know how it is...

I would not look at buying BRV due to the higher upfront cost and inevitable depreciation over the next 18 years, especially if you only buy at one WDW resort. We bought resale there but intentionally limited it to a 50-point contract, just enough for 2-3 studio nights in December for our own use.

If you're at WDW next week, I suggest you maybe try to stop by at the DVC desk at the Contemporary Resort (4th floor) and ask to look at a sample Villa at BLT which is connected via the skyway bridge.

BLT may be a fit for you for the following reasons:

- very short 7-8 minute walk from MK entrance. No need for boat or monorail (although monorail is accessible).
- 2 full bathrooms in 1BR (which sounds like an option you'd consider booking).
- lower buy-in cost than the other "monorail resorts"
- more affordable points chart than the other "monorail resorts"
- very easy rental in years you don't use it.
- expires in 2060 and will still be able to trade into a handful of good resorts (VGF, Poly, Aulani, AKV, VGC) after 2042 no matter what happens with resale restrictions. Should therefore maintain resale value relatively well into the 2040s.
- upcoming refurbishment (although we don't necessarily dislike the current decor)

If you do buy there (or anywhere else), obviously consider resale first...

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
One other thought— not sure how old your son is but now that ours are in elementary school, a week in Jan/Feb is not as doable as it was a few years back. So your points/length of trip needs may really vary once your kid has real classes, extracurricular commitments, etc. Renting points or using in lieu of DLR is probably a safer play….but even though I know that intellectually it doesn’t make a lot of sense, I’m currently struggling to resist buying more DVC points at VGC— so no judgment.

Don't forget that your WDW points will also be good at VGC and as long as you are going for the larger rooms in the somewhat higher point seasons any points you do end up buying will not only give you options at WDW, but VGC and Aulani. Perhaps it gives you the ability to "go a little crazy" one year and splurge on a 2 or even a 3BR for a birthday party? A holiday at the grand cal? Trying to get into VGC with non VGC points is a bit of a pain but not too hard if you are going for the right thing. I've been successful twice and I haven't been a member all that long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter