Whatever became of Disney's Kingdom Suites Hotel?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
I was reading a Walt Disney World travel guide and it mentioned a story that in the 90's Disney was gonna build a third resort on the monorail line called Kingdom Suites Hotel but the hotel was never built and I would like to know why Kingdom Suites Hotel was never built? From what I read about Kingdom Suites Hotel the resort was to be Disney's first ever all suite hotel and the largest hotel ever
What's the story behind Disney's Kingdom Suites Hotel?

This is the first I ever heard of that particular canceled project tbh. The only ones I’m familiar with are the Asian, Venetian and Persian resorts that were listed on the original map and in marketing materials for WDW but were canceled due to the energy crisis in the 70s. The Asian would have sat where the Grand Floridian is and the Persian north of the Contemporary. Venetian between CR and the TTC. That last site was revisited for another resort that would end up canceled, the Mediterranean.

This is the first I ever heard of that particular canceled project tbh. The only ones I’m familiar with are the Asian, Venetian and Persian resorts that were listed on the original map and in marketing materials for WDW but were canceled due to the energy crisis in the 70s. The Asian would have sat where the Grand Floridian is and the Persian north of the Contemporary. Venetian between CR and the TTC. That last site was revisited for another resort that would end up canceled, the Mediterranean.
Interesting. Sounds like Vegas!

Never heard of this or the concept. Not saying it was never real but there were a lot of ideas thrown around through the years including a 5th gate near the BW as a more traditional ride park that you find on the Jersey shore boardwalk to a hotel being built where the star wars hotel is (which is closing so that may happen) to many other idea some started and never finished. I know for a fact Boeing built drones to fly over star wars land at HS. I have been going since 89 went through the 90s and can tell you it was not hard to get a room at CR, Poly or GF with a few days notice and being all of those resorts have very expensive suites that are unlikely fully booked at any give time to this day I would not see a need. Also during that time they resort was expanding with the AK opening in 98 MGM -now Hollywood studios opening in 89 EPCOT 82. The biggest thing going on in the 90's was opening of Value ( I recall very well 69.00 a night) and Moderate hotels (starting at 99.00 a night) to make things more affordable. I remember seeing the other vacant partially built side of POP -Now AOA a few times from the air port shuttle Most of the now deluxe resorts were open by the late 80s early 90s. I have a lot of memories of new buildings and hotels waiting 2 1/2 hours to go on now Dinosaur in the beating sun similar with Tower of terror in the mid - late 90's to a very empty main street in MK in the early-mid 2000s

Kingdom Suites was planned as an addition to the Contemporary Resort and would have been located next to the North Garden Wing on Bay Lake. It was planned when Michael Eisner was the Disney CEO during the period he described as the Disney decade (1990's). I have no idea why it was never built.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter