What's a good moving meal?

jiminyC_fan

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

My brother is moving this weekend and I am going to volunteer to bring lunch. I am thinking about a hot lunch. What would you recommend?

I typed out a response yesterday, but I don't see it! :confused3

Is this for just the family or for the people who are helping with the move?

Something I've done in the past for a friend who was moving was to roast a turkey (unstuffed) and then shred it and serve on hard rolls with broth & horseradish sauce. Yum! We also had some Swiss cheese for folks who wanted to eat it without the broth. I took along some potato salad & cole slaw that I picked up at the deli & a bag of chips. It ended up being a very popular meal. I took the meat in the broth and kept it warm in the crockpot. The nice thing was that I was able to prepare the food the day before. I do a mix of herbs/spices that I use to rub the inside & outside of the bird and also slide some slices or orange under the skin. It gives it a really good flavor!

I also have a recipe for sausage & meatballs in a cross between a BBQ & spaghetti sauce that is excellent and makes enough for a group of hungry movers. ;) The only problem is that with the red sauce, you wouldn't want people to be eating this sitting around the room instead of at the table.

Recently my parents moved to a retirement community and they just ordered several pizzas for the workers and I know some people order several kinds of hoagies/subs/zeps (whatever you call them where you live).

You could do a big pot of chilli and cornbread. Its easy to keep hot. You may have people eating at different times.

Katy

Thanks guys. I have always worried about serving something tomato-e because of stains at my house so was trying to avoid red foods. All I can come up with is sloppy joes or BBQ beef. Of course, all red. It is to be cold on Saturday so I want something hot. Would a casserole work?

I wouldn't have thought of a casserole, because it seems like you need so much more food that way...besides all the foods are mixed together & if someone doesn't like one of the ingredients, they're out of luck. Also, to me a casserole is a "home-y" food - not something I think of for guests. (and I think this situation sort of applies :confused3 )

But how about Chicken Stew? That wouldn't be tomato based (at least not the way I make it).

The other thing I thought of was to make a beef roast & shred it for sandwiches.

Drip Beef Sandwich

3-4 lb roast
2 c water
4 tsp instant bouillon
3 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
2 Tbl seasoning salt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
to taste Kitchen Bouquet
a few drops of Liquid Smoke

Put roast, water and all spices in crock pot and cook all night. Remove roast and pour juices in a bowl. Put the bowl in freezer until fat hardens. Remove fat by skimming off the top.

Pour juices back in the crock pot. Shred roast and put back in crock pot. Cook on low until ready to serve.

I wouldn't have thought of a casserole, because it seems like you need so much more food that way...besides all the foods are mixed together & if someone doesn't like one of the ingredients, they're out of luck. Also, to me a casserole is a "home-y" food - not something I think of for guests. (and I think this situation sort of applies :confused3 )

But how about Chicken Stew? That wouldn't be tomato based (at least not the way I make it).

The other thing I thought of was to make a beef roast & shred it for sandwiches.

Drip Beef Sandwich

3-4 lb roast
2 c water
4 tsp instant bouillon
3 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
2 Tbl seasoning salt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cardamom
to taste Kitchen Bouquet

Put roast, water and all spices in crock pot and cook all night. Remove roast and pour juices in a bowl. Put the bowl in freezer until fat hardens. Remove fat by skimming off the top.

Pour juices back in the crock pot. Shred roast and put back in crock pot. Cook on low until ready to serve.

Perfect, I love the drip beef sandwich. Thank you!

OOoohhh! that sounds so good! I think I had something similar at Universal Ca in the French Quarter - do you have gravy on the side to dip it in?

ETA how many would that serve?

I don't make it into gravy - I just use it as broth/au jus. (Is that spelled right?)

My only problem is that I've been having problems with my new crockpot. :( This one cooks much hotter than my old one...I know - it's supposed to be safer this way. I've been adding more than 2 cups water so that there's enough broth to go around. ;)

Sounds yummy. What cut of roast do you use?

Drip Beef Sandwich

3-4 lb roast
2 c water
4 tsp instant bouillon
3 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
2 Tbl seasoning salt
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cardamom
to taste Kitchen Bouquet

Sounds yummy. What cut of roast do you use?

Well I usually use a bolar or bottom round roast, but I've been told the cheaper cuts actually work better...like a chuck roast. Since I'm never sure what I'll do with it (roast, shred or cut/cube for stew) I always buy something without a lot of fat in/on it.

I'm not sure when the last time a change was instituted, since I just got a new one last year & my old one was from about 1992. LOL I read quite a bit about a couple years ago though.

We're having some friends over in a couple of weeks, nothing formal, I might borrow my mum's crockpot and try this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter