whats everyone cooking for easter dinner?

i actually came to this board looking for the answer to this question.

It's a shame noone has answered.

Normally we do a big spiral honey baked ham and side dishes.. but this year i think we might be grilling out by request.

What we are grilling??? not sure.. maybe steaks..crab legs ..veggie skewers.. big fruit salad.. maybe a cornbread salad if i can find the recipe.

oh yes and probably a crockpot with chili con queso in it and some fresh tostadas for snacking on while we visit before the meal cooks.

We love to eat out by the pool and enjoy the pretty weather!

Easter weekend usually kicks off the first swim of spring for our family.

Usually I cook a spiral ham, with mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn.

I decided today that I would make grilled tuna steaks with a curry sauce, grilled salmon (marinated in something) and barbecued or balsamic chicken. Were going to have potato salad, a rice dish and a few veggies. Nice and simple.

We JUST decided our meal last night... Lokks like we're going to be having

Smoked ham
Lamb Chops
Scallop Potatoes
Asparagas
Salad
Hot Rolls
Deviled Eggs
A relish tray
Fruit Salad
Angel Food cake, with fresh strawberries & whipped cream

I'll probaly try to make some sorta pretty chocolates to put out, but haven't decided what yet. We'll see what Saturday brings.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is having.

As we've just had Mothers Day over here and I cooked for the Mums, I'm having MY mother's Day at Easter and not doing a load of stuff:goodvibes I've got a boned leg of Scottish lamb I'll put in the crockpot with some carrots, plus we'll have rosemary and redcurrant stuffing, red cabbage and roast potatoes :thumbsup2 With a glass or two of something nice ;)

After that we'll have meringue nests with vanilla icecream and some raspberries I froze last summer. The kids will have rice crispie chocolate nests with chocolate eggs in - DS(9) is making those this morning.

ok heres what i ended up cooking, a honey spiral ham, a turkey,turkey gravey, cranberry sauce, scalloped potoes, broccoli casserole, green beans with olive oil and garlic,mashed butternut squash with brown sugar and maple syrup, steamed carrotts, rolls and butter, lemon merigne pie, chocolate dream pie, banana cream pie and fresh whipped whipped cream.:yay:

I was going make a ham. But then I have never made a ham. Holy cow the price of a ham. Who knew? Not me!

Ok so we ended up having a BBQ. It was a lot of fun.
Carne Asada, rice, veggies tray, fruit tray & deviled eggs. Nothing very exciting. It was very last minute. But it was very good & rainy.

Can you tell us how you make those nests

Buy them in a supermarket:rotfl: Walkers (who make shortbread) do a box of 6 or 8, but mine were from Waitrose this year (you don't have them over there:sad2:)

I think they are quite easy to make if you have time, make a basic meringue mix (sugar and egg white - beat the egg white to stiff peaks and fold in the sugar), then you pipe them into nests (or flattish blobs :rolleyes1 ) and put them in a very low oven (like barely on) until they are dry and crispy. I'll see if I can find a proper recipe.

Ingredients: Makes 8 nests

3 egg whites
175 g/6 oz caster (superfine) sugar
A few drops of vanilla essence (extract)

Method:

Lay a sheet of baking parchment on a dampened baking (cookie) sheet. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add 15 ml/1 tbsp of the sugar and the vanilla and whisk again until stiff and glossy. Gradually whisk in half the remaining sugar, then fold in the remainder with a metal spoon. Spoon eight round heaps of the mixture a little apart on the baking sheet and hollow out slightly in the centers to form nests. Rough up the mixture slightly round the tops. Bake in a preheated oven at 110°C/225°F/gas mark / for 2-3 hours or until crisp but still white. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Carefully lift off the paper and store in an airtight container.

you can also pipe into small shells and sandwich with whipped cream and/or chocolate spread:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter