'What's For Breakfast' Recipe Thread

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
I use my sure fire Betty Crocker recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes on the weekends. They taste just like Bisquick pancakes without the added preservatives:

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour*
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Cook pancakes on hot griddle until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown. Makes nine 4" pancakes.

*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

Apple Cider Syrup

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons butter
1 apple peeled and chopped

In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine first 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and apples.

Makes about 2 cups

Orange Butter

1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice

In small bowl, beat butter, orange peel, and juice until well blended. Refrigerate to chill.

mtblujeans, can you make the pancake batter the night ahead and allow it to sit in the fridge without it getting funky? I love to do this. It's so much easier to be able to just pour it out when you're half asleep. :teeth:

That syrup sounds beyond divine. Oh yummy yummy yummy!!

Here's one we really love here, and have for dinner sometimes too.

Baked French Toast
1/4 c. butter
4 eggs
2/3 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar*
1 tsp. cinnamon
8 slices bread
Vanilla, optional

Melt butter in 10 x 15 pan in oven. Mix sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly into pan. Mix eggs and milk. Dip bread, soaking well. Bake at 400 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 1 minute. Lift out sugar side up on serving platter.

NOTE: Use thick sliced French bread or Texas toast for best results.

* I used brown sugar in my recipe to give it a richer taste. Very yummy and it didn't need any syrup or anything on it! We also chopped up some pecans, sprinkled them over the sugar, then laid the bread over all. Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Yes, you can. If I remember correctly, it just raises up a little but it works just fine. That's a good idea.....make the night before! I like the sound of the recipe you have provided....we'll have to try it this weekend! I love breakfast for dinner.....yum! :banana:

DH loves pumpkin pancakes! I got this recipe from the Libby's site. Yummy!

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
12 fl. oz. CARNATION Evaporated Milk
½ c LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
¼ c water
1 large egg
2 Tbl vegetable oil
Chopped nuts (optional)

COMBINE flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, pumpkin, water, egg and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; batter may be lumpy.

HEAT griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles begin to burst. Turn and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Pumpkin Maple Sauce and nuts.

Pumpkin Maple Sauce
1¼ c Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 c maple syrup
¼ tsp ground cinnamon

Heat Pumpkin, syrup & cinnamon in small saucepan until warm.

I had to run out this morning to take DD for yet another MRI so I didn't get to finish answering this.

I often make my pancake batter the night ahead. Or - I make a double batch & do more on Sunday morning. It gets a bit thicker once it sits, but is fine that way. I make Jiffy/Bisquick pancakes more often than the pumpkin ones posted above & throw frozen blueberries in them. Yum!

I love this recipe that someone posted on the board a couple years ago around Christmas. It's a do ahead recipe.

Breakfast Casserole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 Can crescent rolls*
1 Roll sausage (use any flavor sausage, maple is very good)
2 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 Eggs
¼ C milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Spread crescent rolls in 9x12 pan
Fry sausage and drain, crumble and put on top of rolls
Sprinkle cheese over sausage
Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper
Pour egg mixture over cheese

Bake at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes or until firm

That's the way I copied the recipe...I forgot to note who originally posted it! Sorry I can't give credit!

We do it a little differently. Instead of crescent rolls, I use the frozen, shredded potatoes - either OreIda or Giant brand. They might be called "hash browns" - I can't remember. :confused

Anyway, I line the pan with the frozen potatoes & then layer as directed. However, I use 6 eggs instead of the 4 it calls for. We're not fond of the "clumps of meat coated in egg" consistency we got with only 4 eggs. And we always make it a point to get the maple flavored sausage...much better than the plain! :teeth:

piratesmate said:
DH loves pumpkin pancakes! I got this recipe from the Libby's site. Yummy!

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c all-purpose flour
2 Tbl packed brown sugar
1 Tbl baking powder
1¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
12 fl. oz. CARNATION Evaporated Milk
½ c LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin
¼ c water
1 large egg
2 Tbl vegetable oil
Chopped nuts (optional)

COMBINE flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in large bowl. Combine milk, pumpkin, water, egg and 2 tablespoons oil in small bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened; batter may be lumpy.

HEAT griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush lightly with oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles begin to burst. Turn and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with Pumpkin Maple Sauce and nuts.

Pumpkin Maple Sauce
1¼ c Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
1 c maple syrup
¼ tsp ground cinnamon

Heat Pumpkin, syrup & cinnamon in small saucepan until warm.

thanks piratesmate! i will have to try these! i love when it's pumpkin muffin time around here! dunkin donuts makes the best pumpkin muffins!

also piratesmate i must say, you have the best recipes! you must be quite the cook!!!! & hope your dd will be fine. i will send some pixie dust her way!
:wizard: :grouphug:

party of 3 said:
thanks piratesmate! i will have to try these! i love when it's pumpkin muffin time around here! dunkin donuts makes the best pumpkin muffins!

also piratesmate i must say, you have the best recipes! you must be quite the cook!!!! & hope your dd will be fine. i will send some pixie dust her way!
:wizard: :grouphug:

Thanks! :teeth:

I've always liked to cook & bake, but most of my recipes were discovered because I get bored easily! :rotfl2: I get tired of things after a year or two & am always looking for new stuff to make! DH is happy with whatever I make, so I can't blame him! ;) I have to say that I wouldn't have nearly the collection I have if it weren't for the great people on this board!!

All those recipes sound divine, piratesmate! Thanks! I'm especially thrilled with the breakfast casserole; I'm constantly on the hunt for a good one for Christmas morning. That one is perfect! :thumbsup2

Hope your DD is better soon! Some pixie dust for her :tinker:

Pumpkin Waffles

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Step 1:
Set up the waffle iron on a countertop or table within easy reach of the cook. Plug in the iron to preheat it. (Remind your child never to touch the surface of the iron; she should touch only the handle and always cook with adult supervision.)

Step 2:
In a medium-size mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, melted butter, and pumpkin. Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Step 3:
Coat the preheated waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour the waffle batter onto the center of each section of the iron. (You will need 1/4 to 3/4 cup of batter for each waffle.)

Step 4:
Cook the waffles for about 4 to 5 minutes or until they are crispy and light brown. (Read the manufacturer's directions for details about how long you should cook the waffles in your particular waffle iron.) Serve immediately with maple syrup and butter. Serves 4.

mtblujeans said:
I use my sure fire Betty Crocker recipe for Buttermilk Pancakes on the weekends. They taste just like Bisquick pancakes without the added preservatives:

Buttermilk Pancakes

1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour*
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Cook pancakes on hot griddle until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown. Makes nine 4" pancakes.

*If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.

Apple Cider Syrup

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 cup apple cider
2 tablespoons butter
1 apple peeled and chopped

In medium sauce pan over medium heat combine first 5 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and apples.

Makes about 2 cups

Orange Butter

1 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice

In small bowl, beat butter, orange peel, and juice until well blended. Refrigerate to chill.
these sound Yummy

Cozy Oatmeal

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup shredded apple
1/3 cup raisins
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
Butter (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 2 cups water, cinnamon, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add oats and cook 3 minutes.

2. Stir in the shredded apple, raisins, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon walnuts. Cook 5 minutes more. Divide oatmeal between 2 serving bowls. Drizzle remaining maple syrup over top and sprinkle with walnuts. Garnish with butter, if desired. Serves 2

I think it's official..... I'm a thread killer! :confused3

but I just wanted to say hanks for the pumpking Waffles Mtblujeans... they were great!

I don't think you killed the thread Nicky...there just aren't too many recipes for breakfast things, are there?? ;) I mean who needs a recipe for pouring cereal? :lmao:

Then again...when my mother started working and had to leave earlier than my father she used to pour his Wheaties in a bowl, cover them with Syran Wrap and leave it on the counter for him - so all he had to do was pour the milk. :lmao: :lmao:

She always said it was so he'd know she was thinking of him (everyone say "Awww") but to a 14 yr old it just sounded stupid! :lmao: Hey...you know, it still seems pretty dumb 40 yrs later! :lmao: :lmao:

Yummy English Muffins

Cut English muffins in half, spread with butter.
Peel apple, cut in thin slices - lay slices in single layer on top of English muffins.
Brush a little melted butter over apples, sprinkle with mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.
Bake in 350 degree oven until apple begins to soften, sugar mixture is bubbly.

Then again...when my mother started working and had to leave earlier than my father she used to pour his Wheaties in a bowl, cover them with Syran Wrap and leave it on the counter for him - so all he had to do was pour the milk. :lmao: :lmao:

She always said it was so he'd know she was thinking of him (everyone say "Awww") but to a 14 yr old it just sounded stupid! :lmao: Hey...you know, it still seems pretty dumb 40 yrs later! :lmao: :lmao:

I sort of do the same thing for my dh. I put his bowl, a napkin and spoon and the box of cereal on the table for him at night so he just has to get the milk out in the morning. I know it sounds hokey but it is just one of the little things I do for him. He gets up so early and works such crazy hours and has never once in all the yrs expected me to get up with him. He actually insisted when we built our new home to have a dressing room area in the bathroom and walk in closet area built so he wouldnt have to turn the light on anywhere near the bed where I would be sleeping when he was dressing for work.
Thank you for sharing your story about your mom. I loved it!!

This comes from FamilyFun.com:

Quick Warm Blueberry Pancake Sauce

2 1/2 cups fresh or individually frozen blueberries (not in juice)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Combine the blueberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup of the orange juice in a medium-size saucepan. Warm the mixture over moderate heat, stirring it occasionally.

While the berries heat, blend the cornstarch into the remaining orange juice, using the back of a spoon to dissolve any lumps.

Increase the heat under the pan and bring the sauce to a boil. Stir the cornstarch mixture again and then stir it into the fruit. Cook the sauce at a low boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Cool the sauce for 5 to 10 minutes before serving (it will thicken as it cools). Makes about 2 cups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter