What's the scoop on the new moderate?

TigrLvsPooh

Travel Channel's Ultimate Disney Fan
While we in staying at CBR last week we saw the construction next door for the new Bonnet Creek Resort. Is this a Disney owned resort? The bus driver said it was going to be a moderate, is that true??
Just curious if anyone knows anything. ;)

Thanks for the info! :) I had a feeling the bus driver was crazy. ;) Why would Disney open another moderate when they just closed one? LOL :D

My dw and I asked around in December regarding this construction site. We were told that it was not Disney property, but owned by a company from either Japan or Hong Kong. This site is just east of the entrance to CBR, and the construction vehicles are using Disney property to access the site. Bonnett Creek is located to east of CBR, north of Pop Century, and West of I-4. I just can't believe that Disney could not get their hands on this small patch of land, right in the middle of everything else.

Edward

Originally posted by FriendsOfEeyore
I just can't believe that Disney could not get their hands on this small patch of land, right in the middle of everything else.

I have no idea what Disney's thoughts are about acquiring more land, but this would have made a useful addition, if nothing more than to avoid an "intrusion" into WDW territory. Just from glancing at the terraserver image (thanks, gcurling) there looks to be nearly enough land to hold a small theme park!

Seeing the area with my own eyes I can tell you that it's a massive project. And it's so close to the parks!!! Why would Disney risk losing business?? I wonder if they are going to have bus transportation??
It just doesn't make sense to me. :rolleyes:

The problem is that the land was never for sale. The owner, who is anonymous to this day, has been sitting on it for years and is fully aware of how lucrative this tract of land will become once it's developed. If he/she were to sell it to Disney they would loose out on a lifetime of steady revenue. It would hardly make sense to sell out in light of the $$ it can generate for the owner.

Exactly which piece of property is it? I've read two conflicting descriptions. I can't imagine that WDW would build CBR right up to the property line, that would be a HUGE mistake. So, just where is the boundaries of the property in question?

Interesting investment strategy

You have to assume the owner believed they might eventually get a huge offer price from Disney. Maybe, assuming that over time the land would become more scarce and the value would skyrocket.

If they had plans all along to develop it why wait until the area is saturated with development to make your move? The article does infer they started to work on permits and approvals almost 10 years ago. I'm sure the wheels turn slowly, but you don't get the sense that they were in all that big a rush.

Not only does their timing seem a little off, but they no longer have the option to spite Disney by putting in some garish non-Disney type resort. Disney has already beat them to that punch.

Yes, Greg thanks for the satellite link. Of course I hold you responsible for my lost lunch hour as I tried to see if I could navigate my way through each park, picking out my favorite attractions.

Indeed, Terraserver is addictive.

Larworth, I thought about the Pop Century thing too. Highly unlikely, but it's funny that we are on the same page with that one.

So what area are we talking about. Looking at the Sat photo I want to say directly East of Carribean Beach, between CB and I4. Isnt that where PC is going? (I havent driven past the site since July)

OWTS, Pop is due south of CBR, adjacent to the Osceola Parkway. That sat image is from 1999, so it doesn't show up there.

Actually the construction access road runs parrell to the East side of CBR. It is like 200 feet from the road if I remember correctly (at least it seemed that close). It has been 3 months you know. Hey, I had better go back to refresh my memory. I did not realize that the area was that BIG. But the construction access is RIGHT NEXT to CBR. I think that we need a new terrserver picture, because a lot of trees have been cleared. It is very easy to see in person. My only question would be how deep it goes. I think that it has to go past that slight tree line break that you can see about two inches down from Buena Vista. We were in Trinidad North, and the clearing went a lot further south than there.

Edward

IMHO Disney does not need that piece of land, they got plenty of their own, including much to the south of Celebration/192. A theme park could conceivably go in the latter location.

I'm just afraid Disney under new management might some day chop up their magnificent tract of land they already own and sell it off piecemeal. "Privatizing" you might call that.

If some moderate resort all of a sudden gets a name like Hyatt or Marriott or Best Western plastered on it I hope to God it is a lease and not a sale.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

IMHO Disney does not need that piece of land, they got plenty of their own, including much to the south of Celebration/192. A theme park could conceivably go in the latter location.

I had an older souvenir book purchased in 1975 with a map of Disney's land holdings, showing that non-Disney piece of land to the east of what is now CBR.

I'm just afraid Disney under new management might some day chop up their magnificent tract of land they already own and sell it off piecemeal. "Privatizing" you might call that.

If some moderate resort all of a sudden gets a name like Hyatt or Marriott or Best Western plastered on it I hope to God it is a lease and not a sale.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter