What's your #1 tip that you learned here on the DIS?

Debi

<font color=teal>I go to WDW 2,179,872 times a yea
I've seen a lot of first-timers posting on the DIS, so I thought I'd start a 'post-your-best-tip-here' thread! What is your all-time, number-1, can't-live-without WDW tip?

Mine is to use spray deoderant on the bottom of your feet to prevent blisters. I was skeptical at first, but now I use it all the time. This really does prevent those painful blisters! Don't forget comfy shoes also (read: don't buy new shoes just a few days prior to your vacation).

Who's next?

Don't overpack. You will read many great tips here, but don't try to do them all or you will have a suitcase full of stuff you will not use. When you read a tip, think about it and decide if it would work for you and your family.

Fastpass, Fastpass, Fastpass! Learn about it and use it. Don't wait til you get there to find out about this FREE service. We just got back and heard atleast 10 different families talk about how it costs extra to use the Fastpass system.

Realize that you will not be able to do everything, no matter how good you plan. It is a vacation and always be ready for the unexpected magic that will find you.

This one may sound silly, but those of you who have travelled to WDW between Nov and Jan may be familiar with it. It worked like magic for us!

Right here on the Dis, someone had suggested to pack hats and gloves for our December trip. My wife actually went to Wal-Mart and picked up the cutest Disney hats and glove sets for only $5 each set for each of the kids, and packed them.

We only needed them for one night out of our 12 night December trip, but that night definitely one of the most magical times at WDW in my memory. MK was open til midnight, and the forecast was for an overnight low in the 40's. We actually left our room a the CR around 8pm, and the park had a decent number of people in it at that time, but those who were wearing shorts and / or t-shirts were obviously cold. By a little after 10pm the crowd had really thinned, and we were able to ride all the rides with little or no waits! It was like having the park to ourselves! It was definitely chilly, but with our hats and gloves we were not feeling it at all!

Then there was a late night performance of Spectro Magic we happened on (we weren't even planning to watch it). The parade was magical - no big crowds to fight, but just enough people to make it fun. The best part was when many of the characters were passing by they actually interacted with us. I can still picture it now, what a night to remember. We actually stayed til just a few mintues before midnight. Without the hats and gloves we would have never stayed that late!

1 I have learned to bring snacks from home to eat in the park.
2. Go to park when opens
3 Bring the crystal light on the go insted of lugging water bottels
4. A character dinner is worth the money insted of standing in the heat in a line :lovestruc

Zip loc bag for packing kids outfits together. That saved me so much time. I pack the whole outfit, socks, underwear, girls hair accessories in one bag. No more rummaging.

Pack $ store shoes bags. With two dds that saved us a whole lot of closet room.

Debi said:
I've seen a lot of first-timers posting on the DIS, so I thought I'd start a 'post-your-best-tip-here' thread! What is your all-time, number-1, can't-live-without WDW tip?

Mine is to use spray deoderant on the bottom of your feet to prevent blisters. I was skeptical at first, but now I use it all the time. This really does prevent those painful blisters! Don't forget comfy shoes also (read: don't buy new shoes just a few days prior to your vacation).

Who's next?
THANK YOU FOR THIS POST... :cheer2: I love reading about things that will make life less stressful :earsgirl:

I totally agree with packing all the outfits in ziplock bags. It will make our morning less stressful having it all together. :flower:

Something simple... Always go to the left... Most people tend to walk to the right... when there is a line with a right or left option.. take the left.. when travelling through the parks.. start to the left... just a little hint...works 90% of the time! Other tip is.. Take your time and enjoy the little moments.. don't be in such a rush to get from attraction to attraction that you miss the important stuff that can happen if you just take a minute to stop and watch your child be amazed by a mama duck and her little ducklings... So many of my great memories have not happened ON an attraction, but rather while walking the paths... or sitting on a bench... or while sitting on main street waiting for the parade and interacting with so many other guests....Don't worry.. you will be hooked and visiting again and again...so.. if you don't get to do something this time around.. there is always next time...

Have fun!

Kathy :wave:

GET UP EARLY!!! Hit the parks first thing in the morning, and hit the slow-loading rides first- we got to MK at rope drop last fall, and rode everything in Fantasyland in an hour and a half!!!

Take a break in the middle of the day- especially good tip if you are giong in the hottest part of the summer.

Don't try to do and see it all- there is no way to. WDW will always be there- that way, you have a good reason to plan another trip.

Character meals are much nicer than standing in line to get autographs and pictures.

Learn all you can about WDW before you go. Even if you are a "go with the flow" sort of vacationer, you will have a MUCH better time if you have at least some knowledge of what each park has to offer. It's no fun to stand around wondering where things are, line up for the big rides at the worst times, and not get to eat at fun restaurants because you didn't make ARs.

Bring as little as possible with you into the parks. It's easier to keep up with a fanny pack or round-the-neck wallet than a big tote, purse, or backpack.

I learned this on the board --The Ding program--was able to get 5 adult roundtrip tickets (taxes and all) for $410!!!! Hadnt heard of it until I found this board--the first day I loaded it--I got this fare and havent seen it since!!!! (IN to MCO)

Another thing---FP. I hadnt heard of this and after it was explained--a few DIS'ers went out of the way to explain the ins and outs of it to make it more effective!!!

Ive learned so much here---this is the best place that I found to plan my First Disney vacation and will share everything the second I get back home!!! (since I dont know what works and what doesnt)

I agree with the bring hats and gloves in December post. My DH and I went to WDW in December 2000 for our honeymoon. :bride: :groom: I packed some pants but a lot of shorts thinking, hey it's Florida, it won't be THAT cold. HA! There were record low temps that year. Every park you went to had GIANT boxes of gloves, hats and scarves in the doorway as you walked in because it was so cold! :cold: I have pictures of us looking like Rudolph playing miniature golf but hey we got a round for free because we were the only fools out there playing. :rotfl2: Oh well, we were on our honeymoon, we didn't care. It was a blast! And when we went to see the Osbourne Lights, we actually REALLY needed the hot chocolate. It was as if we never left home. We were there for 7 days and the only day that was really warm was the day we were leaving!

Here are my favorite tips - all gathered on this board!!!
1. Make a PS (now AR) at Rose & Crown for around 7:45pm and watch Illuminations from there - this was one of the most magical moments of our trip (we sat on the terrace - and even on June 15 last week it wasn't too hot to eat outside because it's shaded by that time of day - and had a front row viewing of Illuminations)!!!! :wizard:
2. Remember that Disney will be there - don't try to do it all. We had 7 full days of parks - including hopping - and still didn't quite see it all. But the down time we had (not much of it!) was well worth missing a few attractions. Plus, if there's something you don't get to see then you have a perfect excuse for your next trip!!! :teeth:
3. Take moleskin - it truly is wonderful stuff (last week was the first time I've ever used it - it was great!). :goodvibes
4. The dining plan (for us) is great!!! Using the TS for character dining 4 times saved us TONS of line-standing time to get autographs!!! :flower:
5. Enjoy yourself and be realistic - we were there last week and yes, it was hot but it's June in FL, I didn't expect any different. And I expected rain each afternoon - yes, we had rain but we had several days with no rain so I looked at that as a blessing! Also, go in with an open attitude - sometimes things are what you make them. I read reports of POR being bad - dirty rooms @ check-in, long bus waits, etc... but we had NO problems with POR - loved it just as much as the first time we stayed there! :love:
6. Do the parks your way. Getting up early didn't work for us. We did it 3 mornings (2 because of breakfast PS's) and my kids just didn't handle it well. So we adjusted and did what worked for us - no sense being miserable or making everyone else in the family miserable!! :)
7. FP was great!!! Use it!! :cheer2:

We had an overall great trip. Yes, there were some cranky people - but you have to remember to let them ruin their OWN trip - NOT YOURS!!!! ;)

my tips are pretty simple but they help me!! :rotfl:
Plan out your trip before you go.If you have a pretty good idea of where you will be every day then you will see and do so much more than if you just go with the flow.

Start buying little things as far in advance as poss.Thing like batteries and memory cards for cameras can be expensive.I bought mine a year in advance so that i won't feel the sting to my spending money.

If you hire a car from the airport,plan your route before your holiday,the last thing you want is big stress looking for your hotel after a long flight.

My best tip-HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS HOLIDAY OF YOUR LIFE! :wizard:

ZICAM - I am a devoted convert. Have used it three times and it worked every time. Hopefully, I will never need it for a WDW trip, but in case I do, I am ready.

I love the little Pixie ideas that everyone seems to talk about.. (sending gifts from tink*, Mickey Mouse Post Cards before we go, Pixie dust (gold glitter) sprinkled on things through out the day when kids aren't looking. And I love the tip, of stepping back and remembering to ENJOY your vacation. RELAX and have a good time. The memories of your children, or your family are what is going to last you a lifetime, not the memories of the The Kingdom alone. Take time to enjoy the small things.

:cool1:

I love all these tips! My question.....what is the Ding program? :confused3 I would love to get airfare that cheap!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!! :wave:

Iluvmickeymouse! said:
I love all these tips! My question.....what is the Ding program? :confused3 I would love to get airfare that cheap!!!!

Thanks for your help!!!!!! :wave:

Simply go to SWA website (www.southwest.com) and click to download their "ding destop program." You will be promted to enter in some basic info including your home airport(s). SWA will run many specials from your home airport and your desktop will "DING" informing you to click to view the specials. Many have reported some great airfare deals via DING!

Here is my tip :earsgirl:

If you are planning to skip the food stands in favor of the restaurants, then Priority Seating is a must. It is, in most cases, free and involves no commitment. Priority Seating does not mean that you have reserved a table. It is basically just the restaurant version of Fastpass i.e. you get to avoid the lines.

RenFromPenn said:
Here is my tip :earsgirl:

If you are planning to skip the food stands in favor of the restaurants, then Priority Seating is a must. It is, in most cases, free and involves no commitment. Priority Seating does not mean that you have reserved a table. It is basically just the restaurant version of Fastpass i.e. you get to avoid the lines.

Tough you are are technically correct, there is no penalty for missing a PS (now simply called a Advance Dining Reservation, or AR), I would like to think that most of us would not simply take the attitude of "oh there's no commitment," we can just blow it off. They are commitments on both sides of the table (no pun intended....). You make the PS (or AR) with every intention of using it I would hope, as the resturant makes every effort to accomodate you when you arrive.

And also, as most of us know, some of the very popular restaurants require a CC and will charge you $10.00 per person for a no show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter