Wheel Chairs?

Twende

Best laid plans of Mouse and men.....
On our next trip it appears that one member of our party will need to use a wheel chair to go long distances. They can walk but just not fast or even normal speed or far!

I was told when I made reservations that each resort has some wheel chairs for guests to use and that you can take them in to the parks for the day.

What are the chances of getting a wheel chair at the CR?

I was also told that there are special lines or entrances at most attractions that allow a wheel chair. Any hints on how to do this?

We have thought about an electric scooter but to be truthful I do not trust this person driving! :rotfl: I think it would be a danger to other people in the parks! :teeth:

So what is the best advice on how to get a wheel chair and how to get around the parks with one?

Each resort has a limited amount of courtesy wheelchairs that are available to guests free of charge for the length of stay. All you need is a credit card on file, should you decide to keep the wheelchair as a souvenier. These wheelchairs can be taken into the parks, on the buses, most of the boats, and the monorail.

When I was at Pop Century, we had the wheelchairs at Luggage Assistance, so I would assume that they'd be at the Bell Services desk.

It should be noted that these wheelchairs are limited, and they could possibly run out. When we ran out at Pop Century, we called other resorts and/or theme parks to try and find some, but during busy times, it might not be possible.

I'm also not sure if the other resorts provide locks and cables. We always gave our guests locks and cables so that they could lock the wheels to prevent someone from taking the wheelchair while they were on a transfer ride.

The best advice to start is to look at the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.
There is information there about all the different ways to get a wheelchair, including borrowing one from the resort, renting each day at the parks or renting from one of the outside rental comapnies.
The ones you can get at the resorts are first come, first serve, with no guarantee that they will have one when you get there. It all depends on how many other people are requesting one at the same time you are.
If you decide to borrow one from the resort, a lot of people take along some of the contact information for one of the medical equipment companies so that they have a back up in case it doesn't work out.

All of the fastpass lines and most of the regular lines are wheelchair accessible. You go to the regular line; if the boarding for guests in wheelchairs/ecvs is not in the same place as the regular boarding, a CM will direct you to the correct place.
There are little icons on the park maps and on signs outside the rides that give information regarding whether the whole line and ride is accessible (a stick drawing of a wheelchair); whether ecv users have to transfer to a wheelchair (a stick figure of a person using an ecv getting up and getting into a wheelchair); or whether a transfer to a ride car is necessary (a stick figure standing up next to a wheelchair). They have wheelchairs available for the rides where an ecv user has to switch to a manual wheelchair. For the rides requiring a transfer to the ride car, the wheelchair can be taken right up to the boarding area.
In the FAQs thread, post number 3, you will find links to ride information.

I saw there was a special section after I posted! :rotfl2:

Hello Chip 'n Dale Express! You were such a great help last year in March when DD and I stayed at the POP! I want to thank you for all of your information and help! I am actually sad that we will not be staying at the Pop this time! But my father assures me that I will adjust to the CR! :rotfl:
Thanks too for your information on a cable and a lock! I never even thought of that but it makes sense!

Sue thanks too for your insight! My father hopes to arrive around 2 PM at the CR and will want a chair for the next day. Can he get on a waiting list if they are all gone? He will never be patient enough to just stand around wating for one to show up! Infact I expect him to give me a hard time about using one but I know it will be for the best if we use one and save physical energy for doing attractions and not walking in between them! :sad2:

DH and I are arriving separtely from the airport so I can't be there at first to get him checked in.

Twende said:
My father hopes to arrive around 2 PM at the CR and will want a chair for the next day. Can he get on a waiting list if they are all gone?
From everything I have read, the wheelchairs can't be reserved, so there wouldn't be a waiting list.
Maybe someone else has more information, but that is what I have read/heard.

On many rides, and I think all rides at MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom, guests in wheelchairs go through the same line as everybody else.

You can ask a cast member who seems to be connected with the ride for example the CM at the outside of the fastpass lane, about what is the best entry for wheelchairs.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

:confused3 I know another question! :banana:

Can the resort wheel chairs be folded up and put into a trunk of a vehicle?

We have thought about going over to Coronado Springs to have dinner from the CR and by the time we get to a park and then get to the resort bus we could have driven our own car there.

I keep having flashbacks of wheelchairs with long poles stuck up in the air from their handles, to keep you from say taking them through certain doors or something.

Do anyone know what these chairs are like? :wave2:

Yes, they can be folded. They are your standard wheelchair, with no special security devices on them.

Tyler! Thanks so very much! :flower: You are always so helpful!

I see you are no longer at the Pop but you are in trasport. Any chance of seeing you as our driver on Disney transportation this March?

Tyler I am not sure what you are waiting to hear but if it is something wonderful then I know for certain that you deserve it! :banana:

SO did your phone ring Tyler? :flower:

Any news to share? :cool1:

Where do we look for you while we are there? :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter