When do you start decorating for Christmas?

PoohBWV

<font color=green>Moderator<br><font color=red>Pro
DH just asked me when I putting out the Dept. 56 houses. EEK! I haven't even started Christmas shopping yet ! When do you guys start decorating, and have you started shopping yet?

Have already started Christmas shopping. Will put up the tree (artificial) on Dec. 7th. Am going to see Santa Clause 2 tomorrow. I am getting in the Xmas spirit. Being a high school teacher we have exams right before Xmas, so this is a nightmare time of the year as I am busy at school and at the same time trying to get ready for Xmas. I think that os why I start so early- I get to enjoy the holiday feeling before it turns into a mad rush. By the time we get close to Christmas I am a frazzled wreck. I always enjoy the days after Xmas when we can putz around in our pyjamas and pig out on turkey sandwiches, leftover stuffing, pickles and Xmas baking!!:p

Funny you should ask this-DS has asked me twice in the last week when we were putting up the tree! He is seeing all the xmas stuff out in the stores and is getting in the spirit I suppose! Most likely will put the tree up the begining of Dec-I too like to have alot of time to enjoy it along with my xmas village. I have usually started and done quite a bit of xmas shopping by this time but not this year! In fact I bought my first gift today on my lunch hour-some very beatiful stationary-DM will love it!

Grover in Winnipeg
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I could quite happily put my tree up tomorrow and still would not be tired of looking at it by Christmas. Just bought a beautiful tree skirt from Days of Christmas in Downtown Disney when we were there last month. Can't wait to use it!:)

Grover ... your trip is coming up fast! Have a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear about the surprise reaction :Pinkbounc

Mary Liz

I usually put the Halloween stuff in the storage locker and pull out the Christmas stuff and start on my window but this years it's gonna have to wait a while. Have a nasty sinus infection, plus head cold, etc., etc., etc.

But I can hardly wait to get my Mickey Santa's in my Window!

I love Christmas!

Scratch
:smooth:

My brother & I both have our birthdays in 3rd week of November so family tradition has always been to never decorate for Xmas until after that. BUT, 2 years ago I defied the "tradition" in my own busy home of 4 kids & gave myself the Bday gift of forcing all to help decorate for Xmas ON my Bday weekend. It was the BEST birthday gift.

Last year I pushed it even more and started the weekend before -- shocking! (mid-November) -- as older kids went to big Harry Potter with same uncle & younger 1 and I started dragging out the tree & boxes. All came home very excited and enjoyed hot chocolate, carols and decorating the tree. The next weekend was even better as I relaxed on my Bday and enjoyed the beautiful house without the work of putting it all up.

So this year -- with another Harry Potter movie on the way -- we'll be doing the same thing. Only new wrinkle is we've moved our 1st Disney trip up 2 days and are now leaving home ON Christmas Day (afternoon)!!! So I think my decorating will be reduced a bit. Who wants to take down ALL that in mid-January on our tired return from our trip?

Sorry to be so long with reply! But your simple question has been an issue around here this year. I've been wondering the same -- how early is decent. I shudder when I walk into WalMart before Hallowe'en and the Xmas stuff is out.

Ah, Christmas decorations, today wouldn't be too soon for me! But we usually wait until after Rememberance Day to start putting out the little bits and pieces. We won't do a tree this year as we are departing for WDW on Christmas Day and over to the mainland to visit my sister and her family for a day or so ahead of that.
That doesn't stop me from Christmas shopping anytime now (hopefully today) and didn't stop me from seeing Santa Claus 2 last night (couldn't make the DC showing last weekend due to my surprise 40th birthday party).
The movie was too cute, we very much enjoyed it, and you couldn't even tell it was shot just outside Vancouver, with all the snow they made. We even had one of the feature "elves" in the theatre with us last night, he lives here on the Island. He got major applause from everybody.

I usually put things up the first weekend in December, but I'm thinking about doing it this week to freak DH out. He's gone away on business this week. If he had his way we wouldn't put it up until the week before Christmas.

dd's birthday is Dec 5th (Walt Disney's birthday too!) so we usually wait until after her birthday to but up decorations. This year, we rented a swimming pool and a party room for her so technically we can start decorating sooner because her party is out of the house. We are all antsy to start Cmas! I am hosting a cookie exchange party at my house Nov 29 so I want the Cmas decorations up before that. The week before that is Disney in Niagara Falls weekend YIPPEE so I'll be decorating late November this year! The kids gifts are bought, most everything else is set! I am also hosting the extended-family gather Dec 14. We are REALLY looking forward to Cmas this year! S

I usually start in December ... I want to try and make a wreath this year, but I've never done one before *lol* That should be interesting!

Oh I love making wreaths! I made one for every season for my front door. It's fun, you'll love it! S

I bought two gifts and a stocker stuffer this weekend. Not much, but it's a start! :) Oh, and some festive Amaretto Nog pot pourri, smells heavenly!

I hope you feel better soon Scratch!

Kim :)

We usually wait until the 1st weekend in Dec. to decorate the inside of our house but usually we have the outside (lights,garland,bows,wreathes etc.) all ready and start the "official" lighting on our anniversary which is the end of Nov.:)

Snowwark where did you find that scent of potpourri? That sounds so nice.....anywhere at Limeridge perhaps? LOL;)

Right you are sammi, good guess!!! :smooth: I got it at Bowring, and I'll be going back to get more, one bag isn't enough. :)

I'm sure there are a lot of us who can't wait for Christmas. It has to be my absolute favourite time of year. Of course, I never seem to get my shopping done until the absolute last minute, but I work my best when under pressure. Decorations? Well, if I had my way, it would be Christmas every day. Somehow, seeing all the decorations makes me smile. I usually wait until the end of November before getting my family moving on Christmas decorations. After reading this, I think I may start pulling out those boxes sooner.

Just to let everyone know.... if you smile when you see Christmas decorations... run over to TDS. A bunch of us cast members just spent over 5 hours tonight getting the store ready for Christmas. It was sort of weird wrapping boxes, decorating a tree, getting all the Christmas plush out, but it made me smile. Disney went all out this Christmas. There are so many different characters dressed as Santa; all the Pooh family, Mickey/Minnie, Sully, Stitch. So, if you need something to make you smile or you just want to kick start Christmas then go check out TDS. Not to mention, you can grab what's left of those hallowe'een costumes that so many here have already done.

I suppose it's early, but I hope everyone has a great Christmas. And let's hope for a white one!!! :)

Ah ha! Thanks Kim!:wave:

Bowerings has to be my most favourite store in Limeridge Mall! It's also my sister-in-laws favourite place to shop too.:bounce: :Pinkbounc I'll have to head over there this week and pick some up too. Thanks again!:wave:

I am still trying to decide whether I will put out all of my lights this year.Lights around the house,all around the garden plus my light ups.I am trying to figure whether I want to put any more profit into the hands of the hydro people.Plus my indoor tree(which we cut down around the second week of December)usually has at least 1000 lights on it.Told my DH maybe we should just decorate the outdoor's to be seen only in the daytime(decorate the trees like the indoor tree with no lights)

After some of the whopping hydro bills we've had this year, I am also trying to decide whether to go with the outdoor lights. Anyone have suggestions for non-lit outdoor decorations?

Saw some people putting up their Christmas lights on the weekend, and I had my (unemployed!) son dig ours out today. BUT I saw 2 homes with the things ON tonight Yep, ON, not UP. I love how they can make me smile, but I know that we won't turn ours on until the first Sunday of Advent (Dec. 1 this year).

I had forgotten about the high electricity rates ... I guess there won't be too many Christmas lights on this year. I didn't get much of a response when I asked when the lights would be going up.

PoohBWV, how about Christmas lights on the inside of your home. That way you can turn them off at night ... last year, a I put a couple of them around my house ... on stair banisters, mirrors etc...

I'm going to Michael's to pick up some of my wreath-making supplies :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter