When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow , McMaster is doing on line fall courses no one is going back to campus. This is Hamilton.

My daughter is a 3rd year nursing student , they can’t tell her how her clinical will be done. 1 and second year will only have theirs second term none in the fall. This will be hard since it is a hands on course.
From my understanding it will not be all students. Here is what is posted in our papers

https://www.kingstonist.com/news/queens-university-to-open-residences-to-single-first-year-students/

That has me worried. My son is supposed to be at another university. If we don't take the res in the fall, will he be able to get in for the winter? He might not. What to do... waste a semester's worth of dorm cost or take a chance for winter.

AND are the kids even going to be in class in the winter? Right now, they are, but that can change. If its all going to be on line, we don't even need a dorm room at all.

Do you think there is any chance that Canada will begin to allow travel to/from other countries (that have Covid better under control) while the Canada-U.S. border remains closed? I'm not sure that it has been officially confirmed but it sounds like Canadians will be allowed to enter the EU beginning in July (though obviously Canada has not yet lifted the 'no non-essential travel' advisory). Made me wonder if Canada might open to other countries.
I'd be down for that!! But would he keep the quarantine act in place though? 😬

That has me worried. My son is supposed to be at another university. If we don't take the res in the fall, will he be able to get in for the winter? He might not. What to do... waste a semester's worth of dorm cost or take a chance for winter.

AND are the kids even going to be in class in the winter? Right now, they are, but that can change. If its all going to be on line, we don't even need a dorm room at all.
We’re in the same boat. We know for sure DS first semester will be all online but we still don’t know for sure about the second. He’s planning to stay home for the first but then will we struggle to find him housing if he ends up having to go down for the second?

We’re in the same boat. We know for sure DS first semester will be all online but we still don’t know for sure about the second. He’s planning to stay home for the first but then will we struggle to find him housing if he ends up having to go down for the second?

Have you tried calling the university and speaking with the residence manager? They may have some options for you and I’m sure you won’t be the only person asking.

From my understanding it will not be all students. Here is what is posted in our papers

https://www.kingstonist.com/news/queens-university-to-open-residences-to-single-first-year-students/
Yeah we are like the one guy who already paid for the year off campus apartment . Been in the same place last 2 years and is going back there to do her on line courses. Too many distractions at home including the cat....lol

Hoping she stays away from a lot of people but will be hard .

I haven't kept up with this situation, since I just cancelled our September trip. Are there no insurance companies that will cover COVID-19? If not, is there any hope of that before the end of 2020?

There are no Cdn. travel insurers who are covering Covid. From what I have read, the underwriter for CAA insurance has advised that they are open to covering Covid once it is no longer deemed a pandemic, but I do t even want to think of what the premiums might be on that policy...

I posted a link to the Gov’t of Cda website on this issue in a different thread. I think if you click my name, you can probably find it fairly easily.

Why any Canadian would want to fly into that hot bed is beyond me. The concerning thing is how most downplay cases rising. I will just stay in Canada thank you. My trailer is open so I will spend my summer there. Away from as many people as possible.

Have you tried calling the university and speaking with the residence manager? They may have some options for you and I’m sure you won’t be the only person asking.
Good idea! I actually hadn’t even thought of that since DS said he doesn’t want to stay on campus. He may just not have a choice this year though if that’s all we can find.

Why any Canadian would want to fly into that hot bed is beyond me. The concerning thing is how most downplay cases rising. I will just stay in Canada thank you. My trailer is open so I will spend my summer there. Away from as many people as possible.

Some of us have family there.

There are no Cdn. travel insurers who are covering Covid. From what I have read, the underwriter for CAA insurance has advised that they are open to covering Covid once it is no longer deemed a pandemic, but I do t even want to think of what the premiums might be on that policy...

I posted a link to the Gov’t of Cda website on this issue in a different thread. I think if you click my name, you can probably find it fairly easily.
Seven Corners Insurance has a plan that covers COVID.

Seven Corners Insurance has a plan that covers COVID.
[/QUO

the COVID coverage is to a maximum of 100,000. Not a whole lot of coverage if you were hospitalized for any length of time.

ETA: forgot to mention that this is not a Canadian insurance company.

Last edited:
Good idea! I actually hadn’t even thought of that since DS said he doesn’t want to stay on campus. He may just not have a choice this year though if that’s all we can find.

I am not 100% sure on this but I believe you choose either when applying or accepting the room offer which term you want it for. Some universities also have a residence or housing page with FAQ’s directly related to Coronavirus. I’d still call and ask though. Good luck!

My BMO World Elite Mastercard travel insurance covers COVID-19, but it doesn't cover if you travel to a country where there is a Government do-not-travel advisory, which is literally everywhere right now.

My work travel insurance does not cover anything COVID-19 related.

I think every insurance company has one or the other of the above stipulations.

My work insurance doesn't cover it either. It looks like us Canadians will have to travel in our country for awhile. For those that want a theme park fix why not do Wonderland when it opens.

Some of us have family there.
I have family in San Antonio, Houston and Dallas. A little tougher for them since we are Asian but I haven't heard anything bad as of yet.

I am looking at Oahu (speficially Waikiki) for Christmas break since they've replaced the quarantine with a pre-trip COVID check. It currently feels like end of year will be a point where it's relatively safe to travel again and Hawaii has done a pretty good job at preventing the spread of the virus.

Of course, Waikiki is about as pricey as it always is, so we'll see if this happens, or if we just go to a resort in the Caribbean somewhere, or just sit in the snow.

Agree 100%. I am permitted to get to my fishing camp near La Tuque, Quebec, so I will keep away from the crowds up there for a while.

My BMO World Elite Mastercard travel insurance covers COVID-19, but it doesn't cover if you travel to a country where there is a Government do-not-travel advisory, which is literally everywhere right now.

We have the BMO World Elite and just assumed COVID wouldn‘t be covered, so that’s good to know. I don’t plan to go anywhere for a long while, but when we do travel again that seems like the card to book with for the insurance.

Not exactly: Canada Life (formerly Great West Life) through my employer has no exclusions for either Covid or travel advisories. And I have that in writing. Sunlife, who covers government of Canada employees, also doesn’t have coverage restrictions, as per information they have released publicly. For those of us with benefits through work, coverage is likely there (though check with your carrier). The issue will be for people who buy one off or multi-trip plans through travel insurance providers. They will have difficulty arranging coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter