When do you typically purchase insurance?

randumb0

Party at Mickey's
Do you purchase insurance as soon as you book your cruise or do you wait until it's closer to the final payment date? Does the price of insurance tend to increase as you approach that final payment date or sailing date?

Do you purchase insurance as soon as you book your cruise or do you wait until it's closer to the final payment date? Does the price of insurance tend to increase as you approach that final payment date or sailing date?
We always purchase insurance, through a third party, not the cruiseline. And do so pretty quickly after making initial reservation, in order to cover medical expenses.

I believe costs can increase if you purchase closer to the cruise. And, generally, there are less coverages.

I purchase it soon after paying the deposit because we need pre-existing conditions coverage.

ETA: I also purchase from a 3rd party. I can get better coverage for less money than if I purchase through DCL.

Last edited:
I purchase 3rd party insurance within 10 days. Most insurance companies Require you to purchase within a certain time frame from day of deposit.

As long as you don't need pre-existing coverage, and you aren't worried about a major weather event (say a hurricane being announced 3 weeks before your trip) you don't have to buy at the initial deposit. I buy insurance once I know for sure I am going and have purchased airline tickets, hotel reservations, etc say 6-9 months before the trip. That way I have a better estimate of total cost, and don't have to contact the insurance company to adjust my coverage amount if costs change from what I assume they will be if I bought at time of first deposit.

I mention the hurricane because if the weather event has been forecasted and named etc for the time of your trip and then you buy trip insurance, it won't cover any issues having to do with the weather event. If you however bought your insurance 6 months out from your trip and your policy covered weather issues, then you will be fine.

We don't buy it until much closer to our trip, the price doesn't change (I'm in Canada and use BCAA). I just bought travel medical for our Alaska cruise that is coming up in 2 weeks and the quote was exactly the same as it is for our one week Hawaii trip in March 2020. However, we are sailing to Bermuda in October and I have already purchased that insurance (including cancellation, etc) because as the PP said, if a hurricane is already named we would not have been able to purchase insurance. So in this instance, I bought it well in advance.

I was just starting to think about insurance for our cruise in Feb 2020. We plan to buy plane tickets this week. Can anyone recommend a good provider in the US?

I buy it after I know what all of my expenses will be, so after I purchase my plane tickets as well - I'm waiting for southwest to open up for February and then I will purchase my plane tickets, purchase my travel insurance and make the final $462 payment to PIF.

I buy it privately because the price is better and I can choose my coverage levels.

I was just starting to think about insurance for our cruise in Feb 2020. We plan to buy plane tickets this week. Can anyone recommend a good provider in the US?
apparently I can't name the place I go through but there are websites that allow you to shop various coverage before deciding. Google it maybe.

I bought it (third party) as soon as I booked the cruise (16 months prior to trip). I was nervous about preexisting and wanted to make sure we were covered. We have had to increase it as we have added things to our trip (made the hotel reservations for the land part of our trip), our travel agent took care of all of that for us.

Is the insurance necessary? Going on my first cruise so not sure how this all works

Is the insurance necessary? Going on my first cruise so not sure how this all works

I would say it depends. We did not get insurance for our cruise in June 2019, but I will for our September 2020 cruise - in case of hurricanes. I know some people have health concerns (my MIL always gets insurance because of that). If you are before a pay in full date, I think you can make changes - so, I think you'll have to weight your risk tolerance.

Depends on your comfort level of losing the money if something happens and you have to cancel after the penalties kick in. If you can afford to lose all that money, then no it’s not. But if you can’t, getting insurance with a cancel for any reason clause is a must IMHO.

Its a piece of mind. Last week on our cruise, someone was doing a back to back. They were in the terminal to check in for part 2. The person had a heart attack (yes in a foreign country). Sadly she passed away. We ALWAYS get insurance you never know what may happen....

Insure my trip is a site where you can compare policies.

@randumb0 I always purchase right away. The insurance company I use gives extra coverage and benefit (pre-existing conditions waiver) if you pay within the first two weeks. I then amend the policy as I add expenses.

In general, outside of weather disruptions, what do most people "use" the insurance for? We're taking our little ones on their first cruise and trying to find out what would have to happen in order for the insurance to be beneficial.

Yes, consider it as part of your plan. As all insurance, it takes the risk from you and places it elsewhere, namely the policy. Insure my trip dot com is where I purchase. You can compare policies and costs. Always review exclusions as if you do Not see something there, it’s covered. I choose pre existent waiver .and cancel for any reason , when I feel the need. Most air/cruise do not Ofer different options so we but outside instead.
The closer to deposit typically less expensive the purchase. That being said, you need to include all you want covered, ie that pre cruise hotel, airfare etc. but don’t mistake putting refundable items in the insurance. You can’t recover twice. So if you used miles for your tix and then got them back, you should not include them. Kwim? I typically buy insurance when I’d be upset about losing the money if we had to cancel for illness etc. we have collected thru the insurance and received back thousands of dollars otherwise lost. Look at your entire loss versus the cost to put your mind at ease
Safe and happy travels.

In general, outside of weather disruptions, what do most people "use" the insurance for? We're taking our little ones on their first cruise and trying to find out what would have to happen in order for the insurance to be beneficial.
Well, besides weather disruptions -

Someone could be running downstairs, trip, fall down and break an arm.
Someone could pick up a nasty bug in a port.
Generally, medical issues. Since most US health plans do not cover "out of country". Once you board the ship you are out of country.

Any visits to the medical center have a cost. Billed to your onboard account.

Any illness or injury requiring hospitalization (removal from ship) and subsequent evacuation from port to home, must usually be paid for up front.

Generally, it's "how lucky to you feel" whether insurance is a good idea.

I will report that, even with "perfectly healthy" people/kids, things can happen. I know of one case of a young boy evacuated from a DCL cruise in Mexico due to appendicitis. Happily they had insurance. Covered mom staying with child and returning to US later. Dad & other kids continued on cruise (the child was evacuated in the final port call of the cruise).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter