When does summer break end for CA schools?

Mom2micayla

DIS Veteran
It's really pathetic, but I'm already planning our next trip and we have one in just 2 weeks. :)

Anyway, I just found out I'm pregnant so I'm having to adjust our original plans for when to go. I'm debating between Aug 28-Sep1, or Sept 12-16.

I'd prefer to go the earlier days since my husband's birthday is Aug. 31st. But I'm also hoping to go once the schools are back in session and it's not so crowded. I just need to know when the schools start back up. In AZ it's early to mid Aug.

Many districts do start in the middle of August now, but some still don't start back until the day after Labor Day. The week before Labor Day last year was pretty quiet for it still being summer. Who knows about this year.

In Vegas it is the week before Labor day......kinda silly they go to school one week then get a 3 day weekend! I find if they are off in Vegas they could very well be at DL . Halloween in a school holiday here and it gets busy at DL! All you see is NV plates

Along the same lines, can anyone tell me when schools typically end for summer break?

Thanks!

If not on year round about the 15th of June... to about the 23rd..

My sons 7th birthday is August 31st so I am planning a trip around then too! They go back to school in mid-August here, about an hour north of Disneyland.

I am thinking we are going to HAVE to go sometimes other than the 31st though, as that is Labor Day weekend and its going to be insane with crowds.

So I think your second dates would be better, and you can just celebrate his birthday a little late.

Just wanted to jump in here and congratulate you on your pregnancy!

Wish I could answer your question about summer break but I can't.

Take care!

I would say the second set of dates is your best bet. Most, if not all, schools will be in by them.

Thanks for the congrats, Lisa. :) This will be my fourth child. We weren't planning on 4, but I guess fate stepped in. Unfortunately I'm due 2 days after Christmas. I had planned on spending Christmas at Disneyland. Thus the change of plans. :)

Anyway, thanks everyone else for your advice.

New question.. what about if we did the day after labor day on? Would it be insanely crowded still? We'd likely do T-Sat. I'm thinking maybe Tues. would have some residual crowds leftover from the holiday, but W-Thur. shouldn't be too busy. Or do you think I'm still best to go the following week?

I've been in Sept. before and loved it then. But it was the end of Sept so I don't know what to expect as far as crowds a few weeks earlier.

I'd go the week after Labor Day. It won't be as crowded and could be cooler as well.

My son gets out on June 15th. He goes back on August 24th (weird, since that's a Thursday).

Ms DS gets out 6/13 (we're hopping a plane and checking in to the DLH the same day). He returns on Wed. 8/23 this year. The later the better for crowds, and it might not be quite as hot (seems like Sept. usually cools down a just little before Indian summer hits in Oct.)

Congrats Mom2micayla! The middle of your second trimester is proabably a good time to go, except no Space Mountain for you...

Last year we went the last week of August and it was average crowdwise. It wasn't as heavy as the summer crowds but it wasn't as light as say the January crowds when we went again.

I do think that the summer is going to be busier this year with the 50th ending including September since it's rumored to be ending by the 1st of October.

The 2 big districts in south orange county return to school after Labor Day. LA Unified is a HUGE school district. I would check their calendar (google it, the calendar should be available). If they are out of school also, definitely go for your later dates.

Just for the end of year info...Vegas schools get out June 8th.

Most definitely!! i am still thinking about participating in that - but a month ago - was having a hard time even finding a room for that weekend!!

DisneyWorld Delight said:
DisneyLand Marathon is going on Sept 15 - 17, 2006. I think it will be busier then.

Oh wow, didn't realize that! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we will consider the week of labor day then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter