When To Plant Hydrangea?

Chattyaholic

~For years I wanted to be older, and now I am~ Mar
Any hydrangea experts here?

My DD gave me a potted hydrangea yesterday for Mother's Day. It has one large pink/white flower on it. I'm wondering when I should plant it outside. Now? After the flower dies? Do I need to cover it for winter like I do my rose bushes?

I googled it, and was surprised at how big they grow and that the flowers will be different colors, depending on the type of soil they are planted in. But it didn't say anything about when to plant it outside.

Your hydrangea may or may not ever bloom.

I planted several florist hydrangeas and they die back to the ground each winter.(zone 7) Since they bloom on old wood there can be no flowers.

The new Endless Summer series of hydrangeas blooms on new wood.
I've had one for two years, still not doing all that great, but I keep hoping.
I bought one of the new Forever and Ever...we'll see.

Your hydrangea may or may not ever bloom.

I planted several florist hydrangeas and they die back to the ground each winter.(zone 7) Since they bloom on old wood there can be no flowers.

The new Endless Summer series of hydrangeas blooms on new wood.
I've had one for two years, still not doing all that great, but I keep hoping.
I bought one of the new Forever and Ever...we'll see.

Can you explain this" new wood thing" to me? DD bought a new house last fall that had beautiful hydrangea blooms on a huge hydrangea plant. She did nothing to it. It has big wood stocks sticking out all over and now has new green leaves growing from the bottom and inside of the plant. Should she be doing anything to it? Are these the old wood that new blooms will come from? Or should these be trimmed and new wood will come? Never had a hydrangea so no clue what to tell her to do. It would be a shame to lose this beautiful plant. Thanks for any help.

Florist's hydrangeas are bred to be houseplants. You can grow it in the pot, putting it outside during the summer in a shady location, and bringing it in during the winter for indoor beauty. If you want a good outside hydrangea, buy a hardy variety meant for planting outdoors.

For hydrangeas that bloom on old wood...the branches that they grow this year will have the flower buds on them for next year. If the winter is bad, many times the flower buds will be killed, and the hydrangea will not bloom. For these varieties, it is best to plant them in sheltered locations, away from dessicating winter winds and full exposure. A partially sunny location in colder climes is ideal.
There are newer varieties being developed that bloom on both old and new wood (Endless Summer is the most popular). These are ideal for folks who have a lot of winter dieback, since they will get blooms, but I don't particularly like the form. The wood seems weak and floppy to me.

For the hydrangea with sticks all over it....as soon as you get a good amount of new growth and are certain which part is dead and which is growing, then you can trim away all those ugly sticks. It's possible that she may have lost flower buds, if the dieback is extensive, but it is very likely that the bush will make a full comeback in the future. Give it a feeding with a good fertilizer (I like Holly Tone), keep it well watered (they don't like drought).

Thank you for your help. I think we will fertilize, as you suggested, and just wait and see what the new growth does. The plant is quite large so I am thinking it might be quite hardy since it lasted to grow to it's current size. We will just watch and wait. Thanks again!

rockyroad: Thank you very much for the link. That site is very informative. Appreciate your help!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter