When will skyliner be back to normal capacity?

Full capacity means filling each gondola, not more gondolas. Formerly, the limits were 10 per car. You can imagine how much shorter the lines would be if they were putting more than 1, 2 or 4 people in a gondola at a time...
10 people per car?!? I would rather wait longer and have only my party in a car. I know that's not realistic, but we have been spoiled, I guess...lol.

Full capacity means filling each gondola, not more gondolas. Formerly, the limits were 10 per car. You can imagine how much shorter the lines would be if they were putting more than 1, 2 or 4 people in a gondola at a time...

10 per car, wow! They must be bigger than I'm imagining.

Yeah, it wouldn't be too fun if we got stuck on it and I had to pretend like I was totally fine and it's no big deal in front of 8 strangers while inside I was slowly dying... 😂

I seem to find this switch when at WDW. Somehow, it takes introvert and switches to extrovert due to the enthusiasm and energy with the folks around me.

Yeah, I am in itnrover too, but I can really talk to people at Disney. I think it's because there's already a shared common ground of being there and being fans. I like to chat with peopel in line, or help out those who aren't sure about things. It's fun.

I don't mind chatting with people I don't know - especially somewhere like Disney - but I don't want to be squashed up too close, physically, to people in a hot, sweaty environment! :crowded:

I honestly don’t think a 30-40 minute wait at park closing is that bad. We have waited over an hour before for a bus at park closing and that was when they would fill in all available space. I love the skyliner though so I might be biased.

I seem to find this switch when at WDW. Somehow, it takes introvert and switches to extrovert due to the enthusiasm and energy with the folks around me.

I still need a little added alcohol for that to happen. 😄 I do frequently start talking to my neighbors at Trader Sam's.

10 people per car?!? I would rather wait longer and have only my party in a car. I know that's not realistic, but we have been spoiled, I guess...lol.

yeah when I went January 2020 on a solo trip if I left or park hopped in the middle of the day I'd often get a car to myself but openin/closing I was always in a car with others. I put on my earbuds, listened to podcasts, and pretty much ignored them. Though there was one trip where somebody did ask about my rundisney medal at which point I was happy to explain all about rundisney.

I've never experienced 10 people in a car. Before COVID, the most I ever had was 1 party per bench. We were (2 of us) never forced to share a bench with another party. To me, that's a good compromise, as the lines are getting very long. I'd 100% rather ride alone with just the 2 of us, but it's not like I get to leave room between me and others on the bus. Knowing how much faster the line could move I can't imagine them staying 1 party forever.

I've never experienced 10 people in a car. Before COVID, the most I ever had was 1 party per bench. We were (2 of us) never forced to share a bench with another party. To me, that's a good compromise, as the lines are getting very long. I'd 100% rather ride alone with just the 2 of us, but it's not like I get to leave room between me and others on the bus. Knowing how much faster the line could move I can't imagine them staying 1 party forever.

I think they only seat one party per bench, but if there are two parties of 5, that's a maximum of 10. I think typically that is not hit, and they only really mixed parties at the busy times, morning and park close. They wouldn't fill to 10 every time.

On opening day they stuck three parties in one gondola. Mine was a party of 4, I don't remember exact makeup of the others. They were definitely trying to fill them up. If there was room and the next party was at the attendant they'd put them in.

I was staying at Pop two weeks ago, and as a solo traveler I loved having a quiet car to myself, especially at the end of the night. Getting into the quiet cabin after so many people all day was like a vacation in of itself!

I was fully aware though that it was a rare experience that would go away with Covid restrictions. As an introvert, I can't say I am happy to have to share the ride with random people, but I understand they need to move the lines along. At least on a bus there's a lot of people so there's less pressure to make conversation.

Even in the before times, they rarely filled the gondolas to the max capacity of 10. Even the opening week at peak times (it was pretty much always peak time that week) they would typically load no more than 6 people, depending on how the parties were sized. Just the two of us. Usually we'd be seated with another party of 3 or 4. Sometime two parties of 2, but never more than that.

And yes, while the gondolas can technically fit 10, but it's not a comfortable fit and probably not practical to try to get 10 people on and off a moving vehicle very often. I've seen families with small children struggle getting everyone aboard as the little ones (and some adults) get distracted by the gondolas themselves. If a large number had problems getting in/out, it could force an emergency stop that would slow things down more than using 2 gondolas would.

I don't think we'll realistically see them trying to stuff 10 people into every car. Two parties, yes. Maybe 3 couples. But not 10 people.

Steve

Even in the before times, they rarely filled the gondolas to the max capacity of 10. Even the opening week at peak times (it was pretty much always peak time that week) they would typically load no more than 6 people, depending on how the parties were sized. Just the two of us. Usually we'd be seated with another party of 3 or 4. Sometime two parties of 2, but never more than that.

And yes, while the gondolas can technically fit 10, but it's not a comfortable fit and probably not practical to try to get 10 people on and off a moving vehicle very often. I've seen families with small children struggle getting everyone aboard as the little ones (and some adults) get distracted by the gondolas themselves. If a large number had problems getting in/out, it could force an emergency stop that would slow things down more than using 2 gondolas would.

And I think that is the main reason you won't see many 10s is with the gondalas being contiuously moving 2 parties with 3 at the most is all you can get on before it is time to move to the next gondala. But when it is running that efficiently and people reach attendent are sent to gondaala then next party can immediately go to their gondala (same as previous party or next one) it works very efficiently and line keeps moving steadily even without filling every one to 10.

And I think that is the main reason you won't see many 10s is with the gondalas being contiuously moving 2 parties with 3 at the most is all you can get on before it is time to move to the next gondala. But when it is running that efficiently and people reach attendent are sent to gondaala then next party can immediately go to their gondala (same as previous party or next one) it works very efficiently and line keeps moving steadily even without filling every one to 10.

Exactly!

We were there at the beginning of May, and stayed at Riviera, meaning we used the Skyliner a lot. Max we ever waited was 30 minutes at Epcot closing, and 25 min going to DHS at 9am. At that time they were only loading 1 party per gondola. Even putting 2 parties per gondola would double capacity and half the wait times. Waiting 15 minutes (even the 30 we waited, for that matter) in a continuously moving line at Epcot closing is significantly better than waiting for a bus.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter