When your first child has a disability....

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
This has been on my mind this week since my younger son just started high school. We have two kids - DS18 and DS14. DS18 has Asperger's and just started his senior year. Let's just say his path through school has been a little non-traditional. He was mainstreamed until middle school. We had to pull him out of public school and send him to a private school that specializes in Asperger's. He spent five years there until we sent him back to public school at the beginning of his junior year. He's in a self-contained classroom, but not at our home school. He gets bused to a different school since they have the best program for him.

DS14 is taking the traditional route though school. When he started middle school, everything was so new to us. It seems weird since he's our youngest. Of course, I worried about him finding his way around, adapting to multiple teachers, etc. I didn't have to worry because he's very capable. But I guess I was just used to worrying and managing details for my older DS. This week DS14 started high school. Again, it's all new to us. He went through orientation and registration (older DS's registration was handled through the special ed dept). He got a locker and P.E. locker (older DS keeps everything in his classroom). He found his classrooms with no problem, made a list of supplies he would need for each class, etc. He's so confident that it's like he didn't even start a new school this week. It's weird for me because I'm so used to sweating every detail with older DS. I need to relax and let DS14 do his thing. Anyone else have this experience?

Hello!

I have a similar situation. My 2nd DD has a disability. My oldest DD went the traditional route in school, graduating with honors! Younger DD went to the learning center self contained, she also graduated! Now my youngest, DS he is 11 yrs younger then DD # 1 so once again a new experience. He is like your son. He is going to a new school, which is refered to as the "super school" its 5 schools coming together for grades 9 - 12! Like you said we have to relax, I know easier said then done. :flower3: Its a new chapter in the adventure we call life. I wish your family all the best! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter