Where and how does Disney's Animal Kingdom get their animals?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
As a Disney parks fan always interested in learning interesting facts about each Disney park one question that I have always been curious about is where Disney's Animal Kingdom gets their animals from? Are the animals donated from local Florida zoos or do they get them imported from their countries? I often wondered this because I knew that zoos in general get their animals donated to the zoo so I wonder if Disney's Animal Kingdom does the same thing? I sure wish Disney's Animal Kingdom would add some leopards and cheetahs and lynxes to the park because those three animals are my favorites

I expect it's a combination of many of the things you mention here. Also, at least 2 other sources - breeding and animal 'rotation' with other zoos as per AZA recommendations/requirements. They'll exchange animals for breeding and species survival purposes. Those exchanges take place with many US and international zoos.

As for adding additional species, I'm sure that requires space, staff with expertise to care, and availability of such animals. BTW - they do have cheetahs. There's a cheetah habitat along the safari route - I believe they have 3 or 4. I expect leopards and lynxes would not be a good fit for a safari tour, since they tend to find really good hiding spots throughout the day! Also, since AK provides larger than normal areas for their cats to roam (lions on safari tour, cheetahs on safari tour, tigers on the tiger trail), not sure where they could look to provide that kind of area for other cats (although I'm sure it's possible).

The above response is correct. Animals are "exchanged" at points in time according to the SSP (Species Survival Plan). They may move or add an animal from one AZA accredited zoo/park to another for breeding purposes, to manage the genetics so the species is healthy and not somehow inbred. The only time an animal may be brought in from the wild is if it were about to be culled for some reason,and this is very infrequent. Some of the crocodiles on the safari were taken from the wild (years ago when the park opened) because they were going to be euthanized. I was part of the opening team at DAK when I was younger (very young 🤣 ). I worked with Animal Programs and the operational teams to educate both.

The above response is correct. Animals are "exchanged" at points in time according to the SSP (Species Survival Plan). They may move or add an animal from one AZA accredited zoo/park to another for breeding purposes, to manage the genetics so the species is healthy and not somehow inbred. The only time an animal may be brought in from the wild is if it were about to be culled for some reason,and this is very infrequent. Some of the crocodiles on the safari were taken from the wild (years ago when the park opened) because they were going to be euthanized. I was part of the opening team at DAK when I was younger (very young 🤣 ). I worked with Animal Programs and the operational teams to educate both.
That's interesting information! Thanks.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter