Where can I buy a calling card for Kuwait to US

tc

<font color=blue>Miracles are amazing!<br><font co
My SIL was just deployed to Kuwait on Oct 7. I sent him a 600 minute calling card, but when he transferred it to international, it was only for 125 minutes. Is there anywhere one can buy an international calling card that will not lose minutes when it's transferred.

I already did this post once, but it was lost somewhere, or I posted it on some other board by accident. Weird!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice about buying calling cards.

Hi Kelli,
No matter what kind of card you purchase the conversion rate sucks. Do you have a AAFES or PX/BX near you? That is the best way to get a phone card. If not, you or Kimmi can go online to the AAFES website and order AT&T int'l military phone cards, which you can recharge. Let me tell you that AT&T is making a bundle off these phone cards. I just recharged Matt's card and in addition to the cost of recharging the charged me a $10 fee. :confused3 You other best bet is the post office because they also sell int'l phone cards with okay conversion rates.
On another note, have ya'll already sent a goody box out yet? Do you need some help with filling out customs forms and the best way to pack them? Just let me know and I'd be happy to talk ya'll through it. Good luck and best wishes to you and your family. :goodvibes

Tina: Thanks so much. I told Kimmi to check at the BX at Buckley, but she forgot. She will be going there for her ob appts, so we'll look then. Thanks, I never thought about that. In the meantime, I'll go to the post office. It's amazing how much it costs for phone calls!!

Yes, we sent him a package last week. I have a friend that works at the Post Office that helped fill out the form, but didn't say anything about the best way to pack them. Is there a secret? We are going to send him some cookies and more magazines and stuff next week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the BX tip!

When packing cookies make sure to put them in a tin or something to support them from being crashed around. I put the cookies in a big ziploc bag(if homemade) then I wrap bubble wrap or newspaper around the bag before stuffing it in a tin or some kind of container. When you pack a box fill up the extra space with smashed news paper or something to keep everything from being jostled around. You do know about the smaller type boxes that have a flat rate of 7.70 to mail. They aren't super big but are nice for just some snacks in a box sort of thing.
Also make sure you put all individual group of items in ziploc bags. Chris can use the bags later to put stuff in out of the sand. You also never know what will melt or explode ;) After Chris heads into Iraq, I would wait for a while to mail anything home baked because mail will take a while to get situated in his new camp. I'm telling the wives here to have anything for Christmas in the mail by Dec 10 at the latest.
P.S. about the phone card, make sure you scratch off the numbers and write everything down so you can just call and recharge the card and he will have the card with country list that comes with it.
Let me know if I can help in any other way. :sunny:

I had a friend say something about the $7.70 box, but I didn't know what she was talking about. Do I get it at the P.O.? Do you buy it? Thanks

Go to the post office and ask for the flate rate priority box. It's a bit smaller than a shoe box and is free of charge except for paying the $7.70 to ship it. Also if you visit the usps website you can order a military kit that has boxes, tape, and customs forms. I also order some of the bigger priority boxes because I have to send lots of stuff for my Matt and his soldiers. If you want to send something like a mini Christmas tree and some decorations these kind of boxes are great.

tc said:
My SIL was just deployed to Kuwait on Oct 7. I sent him a 600 minute calling card, but when he transferred it to international, it was only for 125 minutes. Is there anywhere one can buy an international calling card that will not lose minutes when it's transferred.

I already did this post once, but it was lost somewhere, or I posted it on some other board by accident. Weird!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice about buying calling cards.

Kelli,

Check out www.militel.com we used them when we first moved to Germany, they have great rates, .18 from Kuwait to the States, and we have not had any problems. They email you the bill and the money is taken from your bank account.

Kelly

Thanks, both of you. I'll check out usps website and militel!

How are these rates from Germany to the States? I just sent a friend another calling card but didn't realize how bad the conversion rates were! The only thing he asked us to send for his b-day was calling cards so I need to get something better for Christmas.
Thanx

Longsx3 said:
Kelli,

Check out www.militel.com we used them when we first moved to Germany, they have great rates, .18 from Kuwait to the States, and we have not had any problems. They email you the bill and the money is taken from your bank account.

Kelly

LMC said:
How are these rates from Germany to the States? I just sent a friend another calling card but didn't realize how bad the conversion rates were! The only thing he asked us to send for his b-day was calling cards so I need to get something better for Christmas.
Thanx

From my house it is only 4.9 a minute to call the states using Deutch Telecom. When we were in billeting we used Militel and I think it was 8 cents a minute but it was a while ago.

Is Deutch Telecom a phone company like Bell South or a calling card company? My friend in housed in barracks in Germany so he doesn't have a personal phone in his room. He uses a cell phone or phones I guess set up for everyone in a general area.

In regards to Europe, I know the local Navy exchange has calling card machines. I bypass the AT&T one and get the NEX brand. It's a flat $20 and you get 500 minutes to the USA. No hidden fees. Holidays you get even more time for same price.

LMC said:
Is Deutch Telecom a phone company like Bell South or a calling card company? My friend in housed in barracks in Germany so he doesn't have a personal phone in his room. He uses a cell phone or phones I guess set up for everyone in a general area.

Yes Deutch Telecom is the local phone company...and the only one. I am not sure how barracks are set up here in Germany...I know at some bases it is possible to have a personal phone.

With militel you can use it from a cell phone or a payphone but there is a .35 cent surcharge per call.

Hey Kelly-i work on ft carson but live in arvada-if she forgets to check again let me know-pm me and ill pick you up one and mail it to you

Thanks, I'll let you know. We actually went down last week for an ultrasound (it's a girl!!!) and didn't even go on base, I don't know what we were thinking.

man i never even thought about this before-if he has access to a DSN phone at his job over there he can call home for free-my husband did it the whole time he was deployed-there is a number here in denver that he can dial DSN too-DSN is the militaries world wide phone network-then they can transfer him to your house-if you need more information or the number ill try to check back here in the next couple of days and i can track it down

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter