Where did the pockets go?

What’s the deal with the lack of good pockets in women’s clothing?

This is always a problem when I go Christmas shopping. I have to prepare myself for the hours of trying to find pants with pockets for gifts.
Some misguided designer (years ago) decided that women's pants look better on the female body if they didn't have pockets in them. And the industry continues the bad choice.

I, too, look for hours/days/weeks to find pants with pockets. I'm currently wearing a pair of pants that I've had for over 10 years, and hope they last forever, since they have pockets in them.

It's less expensive to put proper pockets in garments. Also linings, hems, sew an extra button in the seam, and use mercerized cotton thread on a real sewing machine instead of a serger.

@PrincessShmoo I can't think of any designers of bridge lines or better womens' clothing that thought removing pockets would allow for a better fit but maybe I missed that.

Probably because the majority of designers are men? And I guess they think women should carry their belongings in a purse (which may also be designed by the same designers)?

I agree with you OP, it’s really frustrating. I hate the fake pockets. Even worse is trying to find a skirt or dress with pockets. As if women don’t want practical clothing. Yeah, we only want to look good. :rolleyes2

It's less expensive to put proper pockets in garments. Also linings, hems, sew an extra button in the seam, and use mercerized cotton thread on a real sewing machine instead of a serger.

@PrincessShmoo I can't think of any designers of bridge lines or better womens' clothing that thought removing pockets would allow for a better fit but maybe I missed that.
Way back in the day (when I was in college) I took a fashion design class. We studied the big designers at the time. And, even back then, one of the questions was "why no pockets in women's pants?". Besides the "Women always carry a purse" argument we were taught that "women don't want pockets that will cause unsightly bulges".

This 100% is the reason years ago I started wearing men's clothing. I can fit my cell, my charge pack, my wallet, my charge cords and a snack bar in my pockets! Also sizing. In women's I had size 10,12,14, and 16 pants that all fit. Some different sizes even from the same lines/designers. It was ridiculous. In men's I wear one size. I can just buy pants without having to try them on.

Is this really a problem? I'm a woman and every pair of pants I own has usable pockets. I won't buy them if they don't. I have lots of pants...
When they have pockets they’re typically smaller/shorter than men’s. My cell only fits halfway in my front pocket. It’s a concession I had to make for jeans that fit well. (A whole other topic there.) When my boy/girl twins were still in the same size range we’d tell their jeans apart by sticking our hand in the front pocket.

Back in my teens and into my twenties I wore men’s 501’s for two reasons: quick simple fit and pockets. I was too on the go to carry a bag. Younger DD has confiscated last years jeans from her brother for the pockets.

This 100% is the reason years ago I started wearing men's clothing. I can fit my cell, my charge pack, my wallet, my charge cords and a snack bar in my pockets! Also sizing. In women's I had size 10,12,14, and 16 pants that all fit. Some different sizes even from the same lines/designers. It was ridiculous. In men's I wear one size. I can just buy pants without having to try them on.
I just had this problem with pajama pants of all things. Found a nice, cozy style so ordered two more pairs online and the waistband on one pair is tight and harsh where the other was perfect and soft. Same brand, same exact style and same size. So frustrating!

Also sizing. In women's I had size 10,12,14, and 16 pants that all fit. Some different sizes even from the same lines/designers. It was ridiculous. In men's I wear one size. I can just buy pants without having to try them on.

Yes, inconsistent sizing is also an issue. For me personally, I’d prefer if they just labeled garments the same as men’s- with the measurements in inches. However I know most women are sensitive about their bodies and would rather see “vanity” sizing. I mean, it doesn’t need to be printed on the outside like men’s Levi’s, but it is what is, I just want the proper fit.

Is this really a problem? I'm a woman and every pair of pants I own has usable pockets. I won't buy them if they don't. I have lots of pants...

I find it’s more an issue with dress pants than jeans. Although as op mentioned, the jeans pockets are generally smaller or sometimes just a fake slit that appears to be a pocket.

When they have pockets they’re typically smaller/shorter than men’s. My cell only fits halfway in my front pocket. It’s a concession I had to make for jeans that fit well. (A whole other topic there.) When my boy/girl twins were still in the same size range we’d tell their jeans apart by sticking our hand in the front pocket.

Back in my teens and into my twenties I wore men’s 501’s for two reasons: quick simple fit and pockets. I was too on the go to carry a bag. Younger DD has confiscated last years jeans from her brother for the pockets.

But this is nothing new. This post makes it seem like all of a sudden, the pockets were all gone.

And cell phones have been huge forever. But I have a few pairs of pants that I can put it in my front pocket, including several skinny stretch jeans. They do exist. I am a 41 year old woman and this has never really been that much of a problem for me. Even the yoga pants I have on now have real pockets. 4 of them.

Women DO usually carry a purse when they leave the house.

Way back in the day (when I was in college) I took a fashion design class. We studied the big designers at the time. And, even back then, one of the questions was "why no pockets in women's pants?". Besides the "Women always carry a purse" argument we were taught that "women don't want pockets that will cause unsightly bulges".
Never took a fashion design class but have an interest in fashion and textiles (my mom owned a fabric store that specialized in special occasion goods) so saw up close various lines that no longer exist :(. The period when designers such as Donna Karan, Yves St. Laurent, Calvin Klein, and Ralph Lauren, started making 3-4 lines of clothing at different price points is about when I noted construction shortcuts. At least in the mid 80's there were still full depth pockets.

I have 3 pair of jeans without front pockets, I love them. They have the "pocket opening" seam but no actual pocket, it gives a nice smooth finish.
I can't really think if any time I've ever used a front pocket so for me it's not an issue not having them, I stick my phone in my back pocket and I'm good to go.

I have many pairs of stretch jeans in my closet that have front and back pockets. For work, I need front pockets for room key, some money, etc. Back pocket holds my phone, maybe a pencil and paper. I carry around a huge backpack, but once in a classroom I just have my pockets full of what I need :)

No problem finding pants at Target and BJ's.

But I have a few pairs of pants that I can put it in my front pocket, including several skinny stretch jeans.
I have many pairs of stretch jeans
I find it’s more an issue with dress pants than jeans.

And that's one of the issues. Yes, JEANS tend to have more "real" pockets, but dress slacks don't. And not everyone wears jeans.

I did manage to find a pair of slacks with slightly larger front pockets than the back ones (2" in front, 1 1/2" in the back). I took them to my tailor and had him lengthen the front ones so that I could put my phone in there.

But this is nothing new. This post makes it seem like all of a sudden, the pockets were all gone.

And cell phones have been huge forever. But I have a few pairs of pants that I can put it in my front pocket, including several skinny stretch jeans. They do exist. I am a 41 year old woman and this has never really been that much of a problem for me. Even the yoga pants I have on now have real pockets. 4 of them.

Women DO usually carry a purse when they leave the house.
Well sure, they exist, just for some of us they’re not easy to find. It’s an ongoing quest to find jeans that fit right and are functional. I won’t put anything in my back pocket I don’t want to be easily snatched. Now that I have the Apple Watch I tend to put my phone in my bag more often but it would be nice to be able to just throw it in my pocket and go sometimes.

My biggest pet peeve for women's clothing.

I stopped carrying a purse after mine was stolen last year.

No purse is So liberating!

But dang no shorts pockets, no dress pockets, no pants pockets or never deep enough for keys, phone and a lipstick.

My biggest pet peeve for women's clothing.

I stopped carrying a purse after mine was stolen last year.

No purse is So liberating!

But dang no shorts pockets, no dress pockets, no pants pockets or never deep enough for keys, phone and a lipstick.

I'm right there with you on not carrying a purse. I haven't carried one in many years. When DH isn't with me, I use a wristlet. If he is with me, his pockets make an excellent purse. :teeth:

Back on topic, I don't really use pockets, so that's not something I consider. I do think clothes with no pockets look neater on me, but I can understand why some people prefer them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter