Where do DVCers vacation … outside of DVC?

We have a lot of places we love and a few bucket list to-do items saved for when the kids get a bit older. Before we had kids @MrsNVDISFamily and I would try and hit a new spot every year and had some adventures. Dublin was awesome but New Zealand was great. I wish I had more time in Wellington. Taking the train from Auckland to Wellington was awesome and driving back north was an adventure. Learning to drive on the left side and signal in roundabouts was interesting. If you do make it to NZ and are a LOTR fan the evening tour and dinner in the green dragon is worth every NZ$ they charge -

1710256941895.png
Yes I'm here and ready to be farmed.....

1710257263145.jpeg

If you can get a deal on flights to NZ the cost to hang out there is low all things considered. The exchange rate is good for USD to NZD and hotels were a solid value. Food is high quality and cheap given the exchange. People are awesome.

High priority trips when the kids get a bit older are AUS (likely the Gold Coast area with our Kiwi amigos), Japan, Singapore, UK, France... and likely a few Disney Cruises in the mix.

Upcoming non-DVC trips: NYC, Alaska cruise, Las Vegas, and Hawaii

Some previous non-DVC trips the past couple of years: Myrtle Beach, Charleston, Las Vegas, Mexico cruise on Pacific side, Los Angeles, Carlsbad, San Diego, Hawaii, Caribbean cruises, Kennedy Space Center, Key West, Washington DC, Nashville.

Does staying in Orlando or Anaheim at a non-DVC timeshare count? We've done that a couple of times too.

Minnesota (not sure where exactly)

If you are "outdoorsy" consider either the North Shore of Lake Superior or camping in the Boundary Waters canoe area. If you aren't outdoorsy, stay in Minneapolis, see a show either along Hennepin or at the Guthrie and check out our museums. Go to Minnehaha Falls during the summer and eat at Sea Salt on the patio.

We have continent bingo (although we've never been to Asia at the same time). Our favorite is I think an African safari. AWESOME. We've been to Peru and Australia. London - we used to go every year for a conference pre-Covid but my husband's conference attendance hasn't picked up again. We are heading off to do a riverboat cruise along the Danube this Spring. We've independently seen a lot of Europe, but really only London, Amsterdam and Germany together. We've done Mexico, Hawaii, Washington DC. San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angles, New Orleans, Chicago, Caribbean Islands. Our youngest was at school out near Boston, so we spent quite a bit of time out there. New Zealand is on my husband's bucket list, India is on mine.

We live in Maine, so pretty much always in Vacation Land.

When not traveling DVC, we really enjoy visiting the Torch Lake area in Michigan.

We have used DVC points for Aruba, Sedona, Charleston, Cape Cod, Disney Cruises to Bahamas and Hilton Head.

Outside of DVC, the DR, Boston, Cruise up eastern coast to Canada, Grand Canyon, LA, Las Vegas, all along Eastern Seaboard from Maine to Florida, NC, Savannah, Chicago, Charleston, Virginia, Montana, Washington, Glacier National Park and more! Whew!

Dee

I go a lot of different places using non-DVC timeshares. The places I find myself returning to regularly are Hawaii (particularly the Big Island and Kaua'i), and Great Smoky Mountain NP.

This summer I have tentatively planned July 4th week in Park City at Marriott Summit Watch (on the main drag in town), followed by a week at Wyndham South Shore at lake Tahoe.

I also make my way up to Bluegreen's Boyne Mountain from time to time, but that's because it's an easy 3.5 hour drive and I can sometimes get it for cheap in shoulder season.

Love Greek food and sunsets on west coast of Corfu.
Prague, Porto and Berlin all good European city breaks. I wasnt really a fan of New York though
Love Edinburgh, Lake District and Newcastle in U.K. and really do not like London
(Disclaimer I’m from U.K. and Northerners much more friendly)

We have lots of places, but if I had to narrow it down to repeat places that are fairly easily accessible from Eastern Washington State, I would say Glacier and/or Yellowstone NP's, and then Vegas when we want to get away from the kids.

We have a love of the great outdoors, so we tend to alternate years visiting National Parks vs taking international trips. So we vacation 2+ times a year: 1-2 shorter trips to Disney; and then one long trip to an international destination or National Park. When not doing National Parks, we stay local: NH, ME, VT, upper state NY.

This year we’re doing Montreal (our kids have never been) and a few nights at Parc Omega (we love animals in general and I’ve always loved wolves), as we wanted to keep it smaller as we did a lot of travel last year, and DH & I are doing the Disney Magic B2B in June, and as a family we’re traveling to NY with friends to watch the Eclipse in April.

Glad we aren't the only ones who like to go to the same places! I have some people in my life that get really judgmental about it. So weird that they care how someone else vacations.
We traveled all over when our kids were growing up, wanted them to experience as much as they could. Now they are grown and we like what we like. It's not that we aren't well traveled, it's just we are done. I enjoy relaxing and familiar trips help me relax.

Most of our travels when the kids were growing up were local driveable trips, due our jobs and not alot of time off. Those and Disney. The other trips were mostly my husband and I. The kids growing up….goes so fast. 18 and college, then out of the house and then married. Wow, there just wasn’t much time and we did Disney at least once a year, plus the driveable trips.

As adults, we have been able to use our points to send them or go with them to some of the places I previously mentioned and now they want to take their own kids to Disney as much as possible. DH and I make HH (Marriott not Disney) an annual trip, as well as Disney and wherever else we wind up. Usually beach trips, usually east coast somewhere.

Other people comment about our vacation style, which is weird to me. I don’t care what they do or where they go with their vacations so I am always surprised when someone comments to me about our vacation styles.
I guess some people just feel a need to weigh in.

All in all, great trips, great memories.

Enjoy your vacas!

Dee

My non-DVC regulars are Ogunquit, Maine for a relaxing beach town, Vermont for ski/snowboarding, and Adirondacks for hiking. Also try to do at least one international trip a year -- last year it was Japan and this year it's Morocco.
NH here! If you haven't, make sure you stop in Portsmouth NH just after crossing the I95 bridge from Kittery, ME. It is five minutes to town. Park on Market Street in or in the garage and walk around for an hour or two (get lost) and have a snack or lunch. The 1700's and 1800's architecture is breathtaking. I promise, you will be back! Enjoy!

NH here! If you haven't, make sure you stop in Portsmouth NH just after crossing the I95 bridge from Kittery, ME. It is five minutes to town. Park on Market Street in or in the garage and walk around for an hour or two (get lost) and have a snack or lunch. The 1700's and 1800's architecture is breathtaking. I promise, you will be back! Enjoy!

I love NH! I’m also working on my NH-48 and NE-111. Only have NH peaks left!

I’ve been to Portsmouth a few times, it’s such a cute town!

When I'm not using my points at Disney, I love to explore other cool destinations. Some of my favorite spots include Hawaii for its stunning beaches, New York City for its vibrant energy, and Europe for its rich history and diverse cultures.

NYC/NE resident here, almost all my life. I'm an older parent and DH and I were married for almost 20 years before we had kids. Intense but high earning jobs, lots of work travel. We bought DVC when our kids were young to stop jamming in vacations when one of us was at a conference. It's just not fun with a toddler. (despite my avatar, I am female and it always seemed we spent more "vacation" time at his conferences; before we had kids it was more evenly split... 🤔)

My parents did a lot of driving trips in the summers when I was young and they were teachers - so I'd visited the lower 48 by the time I was 8 or 10. We got to Hawaii for the first time when I was 18, and Alaska when I was in my 30s. (So all 50 checked for me)

DH's family always went camping to the same place when he was growing up, so he's not really a fan of camping (funny how either you replicate things or do the opposite, later). I like it enough to do it once in a while but I really prefer indoor plumbing and private baths so it's a little more glamping than camping.

Between my family, travel with DH, and work, I've been to every continent except Africa and Antarctica, all 50 states, and multiple countries in each of the continents I've visited (except Australia, LOL).

Prekids we would do a lot of other vacations - major cities, Europe, etc.

In this phase of life, WDW is just perfect, and DCL too, but WDW is our preference, especially with DVC.

Who knows later in life where things will go.
Agreed - scuba diving in Bora Bora and French Polynesia was one of my core memories in pre-kid travel. We'd usually take one beach or scuba trip a year, and one cultural/city trip a year.

Pre-COVID (and pre-DVC), we did longer aspirational trips, including the Great Wall, Machu Picchu, Thailand and Cambodia (Angkor Wat), etc., but that level of travel has subsided a good bit.

We are "unofficially" capped at 900 points, specifically because we don't want to spend all of our vacation time at Disney, and there is a huge real world outside of Disney World.
Same - our kids are at the perfect age (and same schools) where we can all take time off together, they pack and carry their own stuff, and while they love Disney they also appreciate other trips. (But they also love Disney because they know it well and can have a level of independence they don't get otherwise.) Now with our lotsa points, we bring other families, my dad, my sister's family, enjoying it before high school for the older kid curtails when we can go places.

We have a lot of places we love and a few bucket list to-do items saved for when the kids get a bit older. Before we had kids @MrsNVDISFamily and I would try and hit a new spot every year and had some adventures.
Same! Last summer we took the kids to Greece (Athens + some islands) and and we missed all the bad weather. Also went to Hawaii (Aulani + Waikiki) . This year, New Orleans and probably London. My 8 yo wants to go to "real Paris" despite ODD having been there 2-3x already, and YDD was there in 2018 but only has hazy memories. We were going to visit a friend stationed in Shanghai in 2022 (planning from 2019) and that would have been our first non-US Disney visit but we all know what happened then ... kids have only been to Europe and N. America, last year the flights to Hawaii and Greece were challenging but doable, so I think we will look farther in the coming years.

Locally, we ski in VT, have a few driving-distance kid-friendly resorts we hit occasionally for a weekend for outdoorsy stuff. Then something Disney-related at least 2x a year, and something else longer distance and not-Disney: this year, London/UK (probably only 4 days) and New Orleans (4 days).

We go on 2 Royal Caribbean cruises a year. Next year we have AmaWaterways (river cruise) in November/December to see the Christmas markets along the Danube.

We head to Curaçao for three weeks in Feb, we own at the Royal Sea Aquarium resort, a timeshare we bought twenty years ago. There's only thirty-two-bedroom villas so it's really small and we know so many owners it's like going to visit old friends. We've also started to take cruises out of Boston, going to Bermuda in May, but I seem to look forward to our Disney stays the most.

We just stayed at the Royal Sea Aquarium a couple of weeks ago. We had an amazing time. Curacao was such an easy going relaxing vacation. We will be sure to go back one day.

As far as where we go to vacation, we have a Marriott timeshare and we always head to Aruba. It is my families favorite place to vacation. We are going back there in February. We love Aruba and I never see that changing even though we just purchased DVC.

Otherwise my wife and I have just started traveling to Bermuda in the summer. We love it there. We live in East Hampton so take any opportunity we get to try and escape the craziness here in the summer time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter