• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do you get Universal stay deals?

oceanmarina

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

Universal newbie here - I am planning a mid-August stay, we have never been there before. Where do people usually get universal deals? (I'm hoping to sane some $ as my airfare costs are double what they usually are!) We were thinking of staying in Portofino.

Thanks for any advice, Marina :flower1:

The more nights you stay, the lower the rate. I have been checking for a few months for my dates, Aug 14-19. The lowest I saw PBR for was $348 (savvy traveler) for a garden view king room, but that's gone now. I'm still watching for AP rates, but discounts may be hard to find. I don't know if Costco has any packages, some have had success with Priceline but I haven't tried that.

We booked for Thanksgiving week at PBH Club level via Costco Travel, Nov 19-24 as is our tradition. They were running a 5 dat ticket for the price of 2 (I think, IIRC).

Costco Then: $3868.14 - $241 Costco Card = $3627.14
Costco Now (no ticket offer): $4903.71 - $312 Costco Card = $4591.71
Booking same direct from Universal now: $5162

So our strategy is Costco Travel and jump on the deal when you see it.

As an aside, I highly recommend Southwest's companion pass as a goal if you can swing it. We got into travel hacking and secured our CPs in April, so our kids fly free anywhere Southwests flies until 12/31/2024. We also used points for our tickets, so flying there is free. (Similarly we just did the same for an August trip to Hawaii saving us about $3500 in ticket costs- it's really worth it if you travel a lot).

I thought it was the rest of the year plus the following - so only good through 2023?
You are correct. The SW Companion Pass is good the year it is earned through the end of the following calendar year. Many people plan their card hacking to ensure they keep the CP nearly continuously. If anyone is interested in more info about the CP or other travel hacking, check out the I Love Credit Cards thread on the Budget Board here. They are a very friendly and helpful group.

hello, I have a night booked at RP, so I am paid in full. If I do find a less expensive rate at RP in the coming weeks, can I change to that new rate online, and if yes, will the difference automatically be refunded back to my credit card?

If the hotel is booking up, it’s usually the cheaper rooms that fill first

Higher end rooms may be available but don’t know if their prices are less or more of what you already booked

Call and ask when you see a discounted rate.

Unless you want to book a new room and just cancel the earlier booking you are holding.

We booked for Thanksgiving week at PBH Club level via Costco Travel, Nov 19-24 as is our tradition. They were running a 5 dat ticket for the price of 2 (I think, IIRC).

Costco Then: $3868.14 - $241 Costco Card = $3627.14
Costco Now (no ticket offer): $4903.71 - $312 Costco Card = $4591.71
Booking same direct from Universal now: $5162

So our strategy is Costco Travel and jump on the deal when you see it.

As an aside, I highly recommend Southwest's companion pass as a goal if you can swing it. We got into travel hacking and secured our CPs in April, so our kids fly free anywhere Southwests flies until 12/31/2024. We also used points for our tickets, so flying there is free. (Similarly we just did the same for an August trip to Hawaii saving us about $3500 in ticket costs- it's really worth it if you travel a lot).
Have you used Costco Travel before? I have a USO package booked for the summer for the very first time, and I am a little bit anxious about it. I just called PBH yesterday to confirm my reservation. The hotel agent on the phone can only confirm my travel dates but not the room type. I was told to confirm with my booking agency. I also have a club room booked. Just too much $$ at stake for it all to get messed up... So it would be nice to hear from someone who has used Costco Travel for booking. Thank you! (PS. if it weren't for the $800 difference, I would have used Dreams for the great customer services!)

We went March 2020 ( the week before covid shut everything down, so we booked pre covid normal times )

Party of 5.

Key for us was premier hotel for the express unlimited perk ( so, so worth it )

Best deal then was buy 1 AP for hotel discount. Other tix were buy 2 get 2 (used online discount ticket broker)

We did 2 nights Hard Rock club( 3 days express... hard rock is Fastest walk to parks ). First night we stayed at Surfside ( super cheap, only half day in park cuz of travel/check in)

I don't remember exact prices, but hard rock club was in the $300s and Surfside was like $100 with AP discount. Total for the whole thing including car was under $3k.

Club was awesome for breakfast and HH/dinner.... We got 2 meals and lots of beer/wine for 3 days.... Plus nice for bottled water/pop... Everyone grabbed a couple waters and snacks to take to park each day...

We found Hard Rock ( any premier would I think) had fantastic bang for the buck ... Good Luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter