Where to put my food?

soccermom22

Earning My Ears
Ok, I have been buying snacks and such for our upcoming trip for several months now and I have a bag packed full of food. Since I am no longer supposed to check this bag (loaded with food only) can I take it as a carry on piece. I do not want to ship it ahead and I really do not want to have to purchase everything when we get there, please help!

How big is it? If it passes carry on dimension rules, sure, carry it on. Just remember it will count towards your carry on allowance of one bag plus one personal item per person.

Anne

Okay, I've missed something here. You can't put food in your checked luggage? Do we know why? We are coming from Canada and I checked out AA website, and there was nothing on there about it!

I believe the rule as I understand it is that TSA is recommending you do not put food in your checked luggage. Certain foods have a density that looks like plastic explosives to the detectors. The only way for them to determine what it is then is to go into your bag. I understand peanut butter is a big culprit.

I don't think it is a prohibition. I think it is just a suggestion asking for voluntary compliance. Just note you might arrive with an opened jar of peanut butter.

Yes, a TSA rep was on the Today Show duringthe holidays talking about travelers should not pack food/beverages in checked luggage, for the reason stated above.
He said checked luggage is for luggage, not lunch boxes. :rolleyes: I would be surprised if most people did not carry food of some kind.

He said checked luggage is for luggage, not lunch boxes. I would be surprised if most people did not carry food of some kind.

His response was very snippy and very much the "I have a moment on TV and I am going to be "in charge" attitude. He was being overly officious (sp). Luggage is to carry anything from point A to point B.

We tote Dee's cereal on vacation because I have yet to find a store that sells it at DW. There is nothing health related to it and no real reason except he likes this particular brand. I do plan to carry it with us this time. We also carry a few kitchen items not found at OKW. On the way home we bring the unused food back with us. We would leave it, but, they have to throw it away.
I refuse to waste food. I will let the skycap know that there is food in there and they can mark it, search it or whatever they want to do, but, I will not leave it. I appreciate what they are doing for security, but, I doubt frozen hamburg will be a threat to anyone in the cargo hold.

The issue isn't really that you can't bring that stuff -- there are no such restrictions. The only point that needs to be kept in mind is that, apparently, doing so will result in your baggage being searched more often (possibly resulting in damage that isn't covered by the airline, since it is caused by federal officials).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter