Where to start?

Duckyiam71

DIS Veteran
Hi I am new to the camping world. Dont get me wrong..I love to camp and we have been 5 times but still new compared to some of you. So my husband and I have decided to forgo our Disney cruise next year and see the some of the West. We live in El Paso, TX and will be driving up to the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and Bryce's National Forest. Has anybody ever stayed at campgrounds in this area? We will most likely be tent camping unless we get a pop up from military post. I am excited to plan a trip and focus on fun things as he is still deployed. Believe it or not, it was his idea to camp tent after a year of "roughing" it with the Army. Any help is greatly appreciated!

This thread would do better on the regular camping board. Have a great trip.

I love the Southwest. We did a cross country camping trip a few years ago. I think the planning part is fun. We have a giant laminated map that we mark the places we want to visit. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips to help plan the route and then I use my AAA guide books to find things to see along the way. Check out www.grandcircle.org, there is lots of info and a place to request a free travel guide.

We camped in our fifth wheel so someone else may be able to offer some better ideas for tents. We camped at the KOA in Holbrook when we visited the Petrified Forest. It was your basic KOA nothing fancy just convienient. Holbrook also has a Wigwam motel that looks cool. At the Grand Canyon your best bet is one of the National park campgrounds. We stayed in Trailer Village but Mather is better for tents. It is right in the park and then you can use the shuttle system to get around. The NP campground at Bryce was full when we were there but if we went back I would try to stay there. I would also recommend a stop at Zion NP while you are out there. The NP campground was beautiful, right on the river and easy to use the shuttle system.

Have fun planning I am sure it will be a great trip! Any questions just ask!

I haven't camped at Grand Canyon, since my sister lived there when we visited, but if you have the time and can work it into your schedule, definately plan a night or two camping on the north rim of the canyon as well. It's very different from the more popular south rim and absolutely beautiful!

Also I have to second the reccommendation for camping at Zion - it's maybe an hour from Bryce so close enough to swing by and check out and well worth it! I loved Bryce Canyon and their park ranger led night-sky programs are awesome, but Zion was my favorite park. Definately plan on spending a couple of days and plan on doing some hiking at both parks.

Have fun planning!

Hi I am new to the camping world. Dont get me wrong..I love to camp and we have been 5 times but still new compared to some of you. So my husband and I have decided to forgo our Disney cruise next year and see the some of the West. We live in El Paso, TX and will be driving up to the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and Bryce's National Forest. Has anybody ever stayed at campgrounds in this area? We will most likely be tent camping unless we get a pop up from military post. I am excited to plan a trip and focus on fun things as he is still deployed. Believe it or not, it was his idea to camp tent after a year of "roughing" it with the Army. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your service!

While this may be a drive, there are two places in Salt Lake City that rent both 4WD vehicles and trailers. Rugged Rentals will rent the tow vehicles, equipped with an electric brake set up if you want it, and AccessRV rents a variety of trailers. Apparently, SLC is a great point to hit a lot of National Parks and National Forests within a day's drive. Only a couple of days to get to the Grand Canyon. Good luck!

Another vote for Zion! We didn't camp there either, so no advice there (sorry). We want to go back out there at some point so I'm interested in finding good campgrounds. But Zion is worth going too. My hubby actually liked it better than the Grand Canyon (although that was amazing too).

I don't think you'll regret forgoing the cruise for a trip out west. Petrified Forest was great too!!

We just did a trip in Apr/May/June to the west and you can read about our experiences in our blog:www.curbcrusher.com.

I would do my best to stay in the NP campgrounds if possible. It saves lots of time getting to the areas you want to see without all the time it takes if you stay outside of the parks. In the GC they only charge you for the nights you stay. So if you are like us and think it will take 5 days and you only need 4 they will only charge you for 4. Holbrook KOA was fine the the PF, nothing special but pretty much the cleanest and safest campground near the NP.

My family and I rented a class C in Albuquerque, NM, and set off on a 3000 mile, 8 state trip. From Albuquerque, we went up to Colorado. From there we went to Wyoming (Yellowstone and the Shoshone NF). From there we went to Montana, then headed south to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons, then through Idaho to Utah, from Utah we went to Las Vegas, from Vegas we went across to Arizona and the Grand Canyon, and then back to New Mexico. Other than the stay in Yellowstone, we stayed primarily at KOA's. We would make our ressies for the next KOA from the KOA we were currently at.
It was awesome, and even though we did this trip in 2002, DH, kids, and myself still to this day on a fairly regular basis find ourselves saying "remember the time we were out west when........".
So, although my campground advice is limited, I just know that you and you're family will have many, many fantabulous memories!
Thank you to your DH for his service, and thanks for the thread, it took me back (again) to one of the most perfect vacations I've ever had :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter