Which beach without a car?

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
We are flying into John Wayne as part of our US tour and I'm thinking we might spend 2 nights at either Newport or Laguna beach, before heading over to stay in the Hotel California in Disneyland.

We won't be hiring a car though, so which beach would be the best to just chill, maybe do a little shopping and also we would like a hotel with a pool. What is the ocean like to swim in, is it warm? We will be there August next year. Also is it safe for children to swim, they are teenagers but even so would like to know what the current/sealife situation is?

Thanks! :D

First off, SoCal is a little difficult to manage without a car. There isn't the public transportation infrastructure that you'll find in cities like Boston and New York. The car rental might end up being cheaper than taking cabs since things are pretty spread out.

I used to work in Newport Beach. Laguna Beach might be a little bit more interesting, but they are both nice neighborhoods. Laguna is more of an artist's enclave and has alot of galleries. When I lived at home, I went most often to Newport.

As far as dangers, there isn't too much to worry about. We don't get jellyfish like some areas do. There will occasionally be shark sightings, including great whites. Surfers tend to me more at risk since they are out further in the ocean and they kind of look like a seal to sharks.

The surf itself can be dangerous. Hurricanes down by Baja can cause large waves and rip currents. Make sure to check the local forcast and check in with the lifeguard.

Mazzy,

Hi ya again! :) We love the Hyatt Regency at Newport Beach they offer a shuttle bus to the Fashion Island Mall and also down to Balboa Island, which is a quaint little place and if you hope on the ferry across the water you are then on the beach.
We would easily stay there again if we went to LA, DH says that the big pool there was his favorite for that holiday.

Claire ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter