Which car rental?

Christopher5927

Mouseketeer
Don't know if this is the correct board but here goes... Can anyone recommend a website for booking a car at Sanford? We have the flights and the accommodation sorted, but want a reliable site that will allow us to book a car to pick up and drop off at Sanford Airport (and reasonably priced!) Thanks

We used to be Dollar fans, but now usually opt for Alamo as they let you pick your own vehicle from those in the category you've booked - we get pathetically excited by this element of choice! ;)

I haven't yet used an agent (like those Deb suggests) as I like to know who we're dealing with, but I'll be checking out the link for our next trip as I'd be happy to try them if there was a big saving!

Edited to add: Have just checked the link and I didn't realise that with US rent-a-car you get to choose the rental company! Will almost certainly use them next trip - thanks Deb! :)

Hi there... We went with Alamo when we went in Jan.. booked through member services... ended up paying a ridiculous $700 for the thing... Just booked flights with Virgin for our trip in November and asked what they would charge for car rental... they said £139, so half what we paid to hire out there (that was including insurance too). Don't know if you have to have your flights with them or where you could get the car from though... I just couldn't believe the price difference.

Let us know how you get on... I'd be very interested!

Have just checked the link and I didn't realise that with US rent-a-car you get to choose the rental company! Will almost certainly use them next trip - thanks Deb! :)[/QUOTE said:
Yes, thanks Deb. I, too, thought that you had to choose a company to go through. You live and learn!

Hi there... We went with Alamo when we went in Jan.. booked through member services... ended up paying a ridiculous $700 for the thing...

We waited until we were in Orlando to hire a car on one trip, as we needed it for just a few days in the middle of our holiday - it cost us much more than we'd have paid if we'd pre-booked over here, and was an altogether off-putting experience!

As christopher5927 says, you live and learn ;)

Never used this search engine. Will check it out for future rentals, just checked for our Easter trip and they are more expensive than www.airnet.co.uk for the full size 2 dr but they have an offer of a free upgrade from a smaller model so would have saved £18 with them.
Always been very happy with airnet/Dollar, would never go with Alamo again.

Any particular reason?

Yes, only used them once. They were off airport, don't know if they still are. It was Boxing day, had to wait over 1 hour to get us to their rental lot by mini bus. then they said they did not have a car available due to being extra demand for Xmas-New year and it would be at least 24 hours before they could get us one. We had to get a taxi to Allstars Movies and pay the $50 ourselves then claim it back later when we had the reciepts. Rang 2 or 3 times following day and they eventually got us a car about 24 hours later. We had to get taxi back and pay another $50.
We had to use overcrowded Disney buses(hate buses) that day and waste 2 hours going back to get the car. they did refund the $100 for taxi's but no appolgy for the inconvenience. We had the car booked for about 9 months they knew we were coming but they have(had) a first come first served policy and tough luck if they have none left.
Maybe it was a one off but it ruined our first day out of an 11 day trip. Never had a problem with Dollar, touch wood.
Wayne

Alamo are now onsite and we're recent converts from Dollar for the reason Hilary points out - you get to choose your own vehicle. And, yes, you can pick your operator with US Rent A Car.

Whoever you decide to go with, it's worth signing up for their fast-track programmes. Dollar's is called Dollar Express; Alamo's is Direct Road. It's great when there's a big queue, because there's always a separate line with hardly anyone it it.

If you are Virgin Frequent flyer they have just become partners with Dollar. You get 1000 FFP added to your account with every rental. Not good for Package holidays only if you book separate. Not much but better than nothing. I have 2 rentals coming up so 2,000 points will be OK.

"With every qualifying leisure rental, you’ll earn 1,000 miles and 500 miles per eligible corporate rental, helping you top up your Flying Club mileage balance to use towards a whole host of flights and rewards with Virgin Atlantic or our many partners. To collect your miles, just provide your Flying Club membership number when you rent your car."

Yes, we received an email to that effect in the last couple of days - typical when we've just changed our allegiance! We'll have to reconsider.

If you are Virgin Frequent flyer they have just become partners with Dollar. You get 1000 FFP added to your account with every rental. Not good for Package holidays only if you book separate. Not much but better than nothing. I have 2 rentals coming up so 2,000 points will be OK.

"With every qualifying leisure rental, you’ll earn 1,000 miles and 500 miles per eligible corporate rental, helping you top up your Flying Club mileage balance to use towards a whole host of flights and rewards with Virgin Atlantic or our many partners. To collect your miles, just provide your Flying Club membership number when you rent your car."

I hope this is so as I have a Dollar booking (with Airline Network) for April but somehow I suspect that the words 'qualifying leisure rental' will be key. In their T&Cs they say: "Discounted rates ineligible for Flying Club miles include ........." ie, it's not a comprehensive list.

Here's hoping my suspicions are misplaced :rolleyes:

I hope this is so as I have a Dollar booking (with Airline Network) for April but somehow I suspect that the words 'qualifying leisure rental' will be key. In their T&Cs they say: "Discounted rates ineligible for Flying Club miles include ........." ie, it's not a comprehensive list.

I am also not 100% sure, mine is also with Airnet but I will try, If anyone goes before us I hope they post and let us know. What dates you going? we go 7th-21st Apr from Manchester.
Wayne

16th-27th from LGW. Ah the joys of being able to avoid the Easter period at long last ;)

We have found over the years the cheapest car hire, convenience, service and overall insurance package is booking through Virgin atlantic by telephone,booking the highest grade car we can, which works out cheaper than upgrading at dollar once arrived at orlando airport . We often book the flights first to help with initial outlay of hols, we then book the car about a month before we travel. We have tried dollar direct, but they came out more expensive.

::MinnieMo

We have found over the years the cheapest car hire, convenience, service and overall insurance package is booking through Virgin atlantic by telephone,booking the highest grade car we can, which works out cheaper than upgrading at dollar once arrived at orlando airport . We often book the flights first to help with initial outlay of hols, we then book the car about a month before we travel. We have tried dollar direct, but they came out more expensive.

That's interesting shazy03 and the next time I book with Virgin I'll be sure to check them out for a comparison :thumbsup2 .

I'm collecting Virgin miles because I want to fly with them to Las Vegas next year, but haven't actually booked a flight with them for years (despite having flown with them twice in the last couple of years due to circumstances beyond my control).

Last month I had a fly-drive package with BA (to get the World Traveller Plus seats at a good price) and only paid for the cheapest economy car for the 2 of us, whilst what I really wanted was a minivan.

Long story cut short, I got the upgrade price down from the $49 per day they wanted, to the $10 a day I was prepared to pay - result! This was with Alamo. Got the holiday off to a good start ;)

So do they do better rates by phone than on their site? because I check every time and even with my discounts never get it cheaper than Airline Network, I agree cheaper than direct with Dollar but thats the most expensive way of doing it. When I compared our 25 night trip for August full size car with platinum insurance it was £850ish less 10% bringing it down to £765 same car with airnet was £504.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter