Which DCL cruise of these two would you choose for my family?

twinstar2

Earning My Ears
update- decided on 5 night dream cruise :)
First time cruiser looking to book last minute for March 2024 with two kids (5yo girl, 12yo boy) + grandma, all 4 of us sharing one cabin (I think). I'm in Los Angeles, and both cruises' destinations are brand new to me. I'm leaning towards #1 but tempted by the convenience of #2.

1. 5 night Western Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale on DREAM, March 22-27, to Cozumel and Castaway Cay
  • Would book VGT for $6106. The $200 difference separating IGT-OGT-VGT on this sailing seems so minimal to me. Does all this availability suggest the cruise won't be that full? I had offered to my mom that we get 2 inside rooms (paying $850 more) so that she could have some peace and quiet, but she said she'd rather have the balcony and didn't want to be far apart from me on the ship (although wouldn't they try not to do that?). If we did book 1 adult + 1 kid per room, would that be noticed by the attendants and allowed? Would I live to regret choosing 1 verandah instead of 2 inside?
  • Flights are expensive, and traveling with my particular kids is exhausting lol. Flying 3 people on Thursday is running $1000 one-way (grandma coming from another city) plus cost of hotel room. Not figuring the return flights in my comparison because we're going to NYC for second half of spring break; starting from FLL vs LAX should be similar.
  • Have to pull them 2 days early from school. My 6th grader doesn't have midterms or anything, but still... some mom guilt.
  • Castaway Cay looks looks awesome, likely to be the highlight of the trip!
  • Second seating dining, which is all that's available, would be fine for kids given the time zone change.
  • My son would love the Aquaduck and exploring a bigger ship (hope it's ok to let him roam alone sometimes?) but I think my daughter and mom might prefer smaller size of the Wonder? Obviously the 5yo has no point of comparison, and she will be bowled over by anything Disney.
2. 7 night Mexican Riviera from San Diego on WONDER, March 23-30, to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan
  • IGT and OGH seem to have just popped up? $5760 or $6483 seems like a pretty good deal for this length of cruise, no? VGT is not available, and Verandah is 11k (not happening!)
  • DH could drive us down to SD that morning. Not flying - no schlepping of bags, or wrangling the kids on my own - would be amazing.
  • We've never been to Mexico and are interested in checking out the towns, but I'm guessing many of the excursions are sold out by now?
  • Second seating dining would be rough on my 5yo who has an 8pm bedtime at home, but I guess she'd adjust.
  • Wildcard: Is this too long a cruise for first timers? I didn't mention that my 5yo gets motion sickness on planes and long car rides, which is totally handled by kids dramamine or rx from the pediatrician. 5 nights seemed more reasonable for dipping our toes in the waters, but then I noticed GT rates on this local one....
Which would you choose for me?

Last edited:
I’d do the WONDER to Mexico. Flying these days is stressful. You can request to change dinner time when you board the ship - they will try. Verandas are nice but really not necessary for a wonderful cruise!

I would go with the Wonder mostly for convenience but also because it's longer (I know you're worried but I don't think you'll regret being on the longer cruise) and because the smaller ships are my favorite! You can try to get switched to main dining (go on the waitlist when you book, and if you don't make it before sailing you can ask when you board).

7 nights to Mexico. A cruise being too long is usually an adult worry because they start getting restless worrying about "adult things " back home.in my experience kids are fine with longer vacations. You mention the advantages yourself so no need for me to rehash.
Since You are worried it's too long especially for the youngest. 1. Don't try to do everything and allow the youngest to get the down time needed.
2. It isn't like you are stuck onboard all week. You have ports to get off and explore.
3. Show him the ice cream machine and allow him to "go to it".. that will keep his interest the whole cruise.

I would go with the Wonder too! The longer cruise and without having to fly seems like a good deal. I would go with ocean view because I like to see outside.

Definitely wait list main dining, and try for it when you get onboard!

Which would you choose for me?
Normally I say longer is better BUT I would really weigh your relationship with grandma and kids all in one room. Are you going to sleep with your mom? Are you and one of the kids going to share a bed and grandma is in the bottom bunk? Otherwise, you need a room that sleeps 5.

1 adult/1 kid in booking and then the 2 kids with you and grandma by herself in practice is totally allowed.

We just got back from the Dream (and we did the same thing on the Wish last year): My mom slept in the queen, I slept in the bottom single and my son was in the bunk. Honestly, we're not going to do it again (for more than just the sleeping arrangements, but that's part of it).

Just some food for thought.

I would book the Wonder because it's longer and more convenient. I would also choose the ocean view guaranteed rate because with the interior guaranteed you could get an interior cabin that is 184 sq feet while the smallest ocean view room is 214 sq feet. With 4 people in the cabin, that will definitely help!

The Wonder it is our favourite ship. We sailed on her last year, and it was an amazing cruise. The crew was great, and the food was excellent.

If the OGT rate is still available, I'd go with the Wonder so you don't have deal with the cost and stress of flying. However, I don't see that rate for that cruise anymore.

On the Dream, if you book 2 Inside GT rooms DCL may try to get you 2 rooms near each other but that wouldn't be guaranteed. If you can work out the sleeping arrangements in 1 veranda room, having the veranda would provide an opportunity for a little more space in the morning and evening when one or both kids is sleeping.

If you do go with 2 inside rooms, the attendant won't care if both kids sleep with you rather than your mother. Your mother would need to sign the paperwork allowing you to take the one staying with her off the ship with you, and if the rooms aren't in the same muster station, the child assigned to her room would need to go to the muster drill with her.

The main advantage of having 2 staterooms for me would be the additional bathrooms. If your kids don't spend a long time getting ready in the morning and evening, that may not be a concern for you.

Thanks so much for all of these perspectives. I'm shaking my head at myself because I'm going to be another internet poster who asks for advice but does the opposite of most of the board's advice.

I talked to my mom about it and it turns out that staying later in California would be a huge inconvenience because of some other travel plans I wasn't aware of. She could change that other trip to make it to work, but it would be a headache and I know she'd worry about it the whole cruise. Also, I could tell she hated the idea of missing Castaway Cay. My DH weighed in too, saying 'of course fanatics posting on a message board about cruises will choose the longer cruise!' lol, and also saying 'flying with the kids isn't that bad!' lolol!

So, we'll go with the the original plan #1, W. Carib. on Dream. We're going to go out on a limb and share 1 verandah room, probably with the kids and I taking the queen bed, and grandma getting the sofa bed, but we're flexible and I don't have major concerns about it. I actually thought my mom would prefer having her own space, but she loved the idea of having a balcony, since she has cruised many times in the past and always booked the cheapest interior room.

Off to book!

I was going to give my opinion but then I saw you decided. I will add to help ease your concerns, we have done 4 in a room quite often, even as our kids grew and became teens and early 20s. Its definitely doable, especially with a split bath. You mentioned you and the kids in the queen bed. Not sure if you are aware but you will also have a drop down bed from the ceiling that 1 child can use. I know when my DS was young that was a highlight for him. ;) And yes, a veranda is nice and gives a little extra space for 1 person to "escape".

Reading through the posts here, I was going to offer my opinion of taking the 7-night Wonder cruise as well due to logistics and length of stay.

HOWEVER! Due to the fact you have chosen the 5-night Dream cruise, my family did almost that same itinerary in January 2023. We loved it and the Dream is our family's favorite ship. Enjoy your travels and don't worry about the mom guilt of taking your 12yr old out of school. Do it while you can and while they're young enough to make the memories they will treasure for a lifetime! It only gets harder to take them out as they get older.

I would do Wonder just because it is 7 nights. All the other benefits are a bonus. We did our first 5 night cruise out of San Diego last February. We thought that since it was so close to a 7 night that it would feel very similar. I have heard that 3 and 4 night can seem very chaotic since there is just so much to do. We were wrong. Never again. Only 7 night or more for us. You need time to really enjoy all that the ship has to offer.

I think I am backing up your choice: I would take a cruise to the Western Caribbean over the Mexican Riviera.

You said you decided, but were you able to book?

Not all flying is a mess lately. I flew (Delta) three times for cruises this year with one delay that just was an hour.

Lots of us have had great cruises of varying lengths. Hope you have a great multi-generational vacation.

I was going to chime in to do the Wonder, because the Mexican Riviera is a really fun itinerary and a longer cruise. The smaller ship is a great way to introduce the kids to DCL. In fact, because I've only ever seen that itinerary over spring break or thanksgiving break, I get a little sticker shock so when I saw you said there were IGT I went over to try to book. Alas, that offer is no longer there.

But knowing your decision, Cozumel is actually a lot of fun too and family friendly. And CC is so amazing, the water in the Caribbean so amazing. You made a great decision! You're going to have a great time. Flying over SB can be pricey. I hope you're able to snag a great deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter