Which DVC should I own?

C

candyht

My DH and I just came back from doing a DVC presentation last week and I have a question that I hope you all can answer. We would like to buy into a DVC, but was wondering which property to purchase? Right now, Disney seems to be pushing for people to buy into Hilton Head or Vero Beach. These 2 locations are cheaper to purchase right now. We are kind of leaning toward WLV. My question is does it matter where your home resort is? My salesman said that it doesn't matter where your home resort is. I have 4 year old twins who start school next Sept, so we will only be able to take vacations during the school holidays. Right now I plan on going to DW every 2 years. I'm really too interested in going to Hilton Head or Vero Beach.

Salesman is incorrect. Important where you buy. Buy where you plan to stay most. The difference is the 11/7 month booking windows. You can book 11 months out at home resort but only 7 at others. That 11 month window has proven quite important for BWV as many cannot get into BWV many times of year with only the 7 month window. It will likely also be important for VWL once it sells out (soon).

You will hear that over and over again as drusba said, "buy where you want to stay the most"!!! It is so true. If that is VWL then that is the place to buy. If it is OKW or BWV then you need to look into a resale.

It's especially important to "buy where you plan to stay the most" if you are not too interested in going to HHI or VB, and really want to stay at WDW. If you buy at HHI or VB and really want to go to WDW, you will have to flexible with the dates you travel. You cannot count on getting a reaservation during the more popular times at the 7 month window. It is possible, but not guaranteed. Good luck with your decision.

I also vote for buying where you want to stay. As you probably already know, OKW and BWV are sold out but there are always resales out there for purchase. VWL are beautiful and if that is your favorite then you should definitely purchase there. We own at BWV, but last year stayed at OKW and VB. We loved them both and will definitely stay at both again but are going to BWV in 3 weeks and can't wait.

another vote for BUY WHERE YOU PLAN TO STAY. as already posted, the 11 month priority is fairly important.

My salesman said that it doesn't matter where your home resort is.

Shame on me again for calling the DVC sales staff slimy liars.

As others have replied, "buy where you plan to stay the most." That's the best advice.

If your goal is to use DVC points to visit Walt Disney World (WDW), at least buy at one of the DVC resorts at WDW -- either directly from Disney (VWL) or through a resale (BWV or OKW).

Here's why I say this: You can book at your home DVC resort (where you own) up to 11 months from check-out. So if you own at WDW, you can lock in a reservation at WDW. Then, at 7 months, you can try to change to another DVC resort at Walt Disney World. Perhaps you'll be successful; perhaps you won't be. But in any case, you'll have a great WDW vacation staying at a DVC resort.

This year, that's what we did. We own at OKW, but at 7 months I was able to change the reservation to a Standard View at BWV, after a week on the BWV wait list. (This will be our first stay at BWV since we joined DVC in 1994.) If we had been unsuccessful, we would have still enjoyed our WDW vacation at OKW.

Now, imagine that you own at Vero Beach or Hilton Head. If you're not successful at changing at 7 months, you'll find yourself vacationing at Vero Beach or Hilton Head.

This is not a criticism of the Vero Beach or Hilton Head DVC resorts. I haven't stayed at either of them, but from everything I've read, they're both wonderful resorts. They're undoubtedly excellent choices for people who look forward to vacationing often at Vero Beach or Hilton Head.

Okay, you can never, ever, really hear it enough.

Buy where you want to stay.

It is the most often repeated advice on this board, which is chock full of savvy DVC veterans. I bought at VWL because my family just loves Wilderness Lodge and we know that is where we will spend most of our vacations.

Again, this is NOT a knock on Vero Beach or Hilton Head....but if WDW is why you are getting into DVC, then you should buy at VWL from Disney, or buy OKW or BWV on resale, or wait a few months to get in on the Beach Club Villas (but then you'd have to wait a while to start using your points).

The advice you are hearing is geared towards maximizing your vacation enjoyment and keeping your options and fall back positions as good as possible.

Post more questions. Do your homework on this expensive but worthy investment. Ask your guide the tough questions and if you think you are getting snowed, ask for another guide. Most people, including myself, found the guides to be helpful and not pushy. But, to your point, it seems that Disney may be "pushing" them to push the Hilton Head and Vero Beach resorts.

Good luck.

Wow! Thanks for everybody's responses. My family has decided to buy into WLV. We were at DW last week and we had a chance to take a self-guided tour of WLV. I knew that I would love the theming of WL, but my DH wasn't sure. He ended up really liking the place. He liked that it was quiet. Our #1 choice would have been BWV, but it's sold out. I've seen it for resale, but with the rebate that Disney is giving right now, it's cheaper to buy into WLV. We are planning to spend numerous Christmases at DW and WLV seems like the perfect place to stay at that time.

Our #1 choice would have been BWV, but it's sold out. I've seen it for resale, but with the rebate that Disney is giving right now, it's cheaper to buy into WLV.

Let's all say it together:
"Buy Where You Want to Stay"

If BWV is your #1 choice, then you should go for it if you can. You should be able to save some money on a resale (those are just asking prices) which will bring your total cost close to Disney's price and will probably even beat it. Plus, depending on the resale you buy, you'll have points from the current year. With the MB program you have to sell back your first year's worth of points.

I bought my points at OKW on a resale from The Timeshare Store a few years ago and it was very easy.

candyht....

robinb makes some good points, but I'm not really sure why BWV is your first choice if your DH really liked the quietness of VWL. Both have great things going for them, but I imagine they are quite different in experience.

I have heard that VWL is particularly beautiful at Christmas. Since that season between Thanksgiving and Christmas is a high DVC usage period (I think I've read that), and you want to spend a lot of Christmas seasons there, then it sounds like VWL is the right choice....so you can use the 11 month booking advantage during a busy DVC season.

Personally, I think you could take your choice of any two DVC resorts at WDW, leave me with the third for the next forty years, and I would be very happy indeed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter